Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice: What for Tesla to replace windshield or go through Safelite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, need some advice on replacing my cracked windshield.

I live in Western New York, my closest service center is Oakville Ontario. Some quick research showed that I should go through Tesla for a windshield replacement because I have an Autopilot 1 car that needs recalibration after replacement. So I had the Oakville service center order a new windshield. That was a month ago. And the service advisor isn’t responding to emails asking for an update.

Thinking I should just call other service centers further away and see if they have any in stock. But I’m also seeing some people say Safelite isn’t that bad, and that they’re using an OEM windshield as well. So if they have one perhaps it’s not the worst idea to get it replaced there, then just schedule a service appointment for recalibration.

Just starting to get frustrated with waiting and lack of communication from the service center I go to. What would you all do?

I’m Interested in knowing too.

I’m not sure about Tesla, but on the Lexus there was a discussion on this. The factory windshield supposedly have a layer coating for noise reduction and other coatings safelite would not have.

Two comments:

One - I just went through having a rear window replaced. (A golfer shot one "out of the park" and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time!) . From the first day I ordered the glass, the service center seemed completely unempowered to give me an ETA on the part. Zero. Little effort, too. I could never get them to make a call to get an ETA. I called every week, and always the same - "we'll let you know when it arrives". I tried reaching out to [email protected], and they said " Thank you for contacting Tesla! Unfortunately we will have to defer to the service center for this request we are not able to see parts ordered outside of the service center that ordered them.

Finally, I called and they said "Oh, it's arriving with today's shipment." For reference - it took exactly 1 month to receive the glass. My SC subcontracts a guy to do the replacement, onsite at the SC; they scheduled me three days later and they needed the car an entire day. The job was good, as expected.

Second comment, with regard to your AP calibration. I once had a BMW with early lanekeeping features. I had a windshield replaced by safelight, and the lanekeeping became non-operational. I brought it to BMW and they spent 2 days getting it to work again. They told me it may fail again, and if it did, I'd first have to replace the new safelight windshield with OEM glass before bringing it back in for any further work on the lanekeeping.

It's going to take forever, and it's going to cost more - but in your shoes, I'd very definitely go with Tesla glass.

To my knowledge nobody makes Tesla glass other than Tesla. Each service center seems to have different procedures, with many of them farming out the actual work to Safelite, but to my knowledge it’s all Tesla OEM glass in either case.

I've had two replacements done by JN Phillips glass in Mass, and they have done a great job. I asked the local Tesla service center where they would get it done, and they told me that the company they used wa JN Phillips.

I also asked if they had done Tesla before, and they have, and the company did a great job on both of them.

For me nothing needed recalibration as it calibrated itself after a some miles driven.

I’ve had two windshields replaced by Safelite here in Orlando. I would recommend that if you do go with Safelite, have them do it at their shop. More tools and more techs around to help. It seemed the more experienced techs were always at the shop. My first one was done in my driveway and had to be readjusted for wind noise. Second one was done in the shop and was perfect. Cameras recalibrated after driving. After both times my headlights always remained on and autowipers didn’t work. Quick search on the forum revealed that a Driver Assistance Software had to be reset which was done by asking Tesla to resend the most recent software on the car or if you are lucky, they will send the latest update. This solved my headlights always on and auto wipers never on issue after both windshield replacements. Hope that helps!

Btw 2018 Model S with 23k miles, still feels brand new!

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak