Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

So I can guess what some of the responses will be but my head is spinning a bit and I'd like some informed input. I have a P85D that is currently in production. My DES is looking to see what my choices are if I want to change my order and take advantage of the new options available as of today. He's researching it but the best guess is that I can cancel the order, lose my $2500 deposit and the order whatever I want. Of course losing my position in queue as well.

So what's the advice of the forum? Is it worth effectively $15K and six weeks more of wait time to upgrade to ludicrous speed and the 90kWh battery? If I'd owned the car for six months I wouldn't even consider switching - I'd be happy that Tesla is making progress and I'd enjoy what I have for now and know another one would be in my future. However, the fact that I haven't even taken delivery makes it less okay with me. If it helps, if I were ordering today I would absolutely spec it with the new options.

My inclination is to spend the money, wait longer and get what I want. Anyone disagree or see it another way?

Tim

The top end will always -
1. Depreciate the most
2. Offers Tesla the highest profit margin.

So it's not a sensible decision from a money point of view to begin with.
Now from a FUN point of view, if I had the money to spend on a P85D, I'd go for the P90D even if it means loosing 2500$.
Think of it this way, the P85D has already depreciated 2500 or more thanks to this announcement today.

My vote is, if $2500 isn't going to break you, go for the P90D.

And FUN makes a load of sense btw. So it's sorta sensible too :), what do you work for anyway!

Another way to look at it -

ATLEAST You have the OPTION to upgrade to P90D without going through the trade-in headache. Think of the guy who just took a delivery of P85D earlier today.

People do this all the time. That's why there's inventory cars for others to buy. If you do change, since it's already in production, it'll just become an inventory car. if it's in production queue, it's possible they won't "build" it.

I personally think that if you were getting a P85D or had it on order, I would do what it takes to change it to a P90D asap. Especially if you're still in the window before "confirmed", you're a bit past that, but can still cancel order and reorder. Waiting does suck though.

I haven't taken delivery of my 70D yet either. It's just finished production a couple of days ago, but my DES told me that it won't be cleared for delivery by the service center at earliest late next week. I don't have a delivery date or anything yet due to this.

Agreed that this decision isn't about what's most sensible financially. That would be an S85 or S85D anyway.

I'd be the guy spending the extra $ and the extra weeks. Once, I had it, like you @tstafford, I'd hang onto it for a while. Despite the temptation to do an annual refresh. Very happy with my P85+ from Aug 2013; anxiously looking forward to replacing it in August 2016.

While your $2500 deposit is at risk, I wouldn't be surprised if they roll it into the new car so that you lose nothing other than your place in line. Unless they've already started production on the car you ordered.

Alan

The top end will always -
1. Depreciate the most
2. Offers Tesla the highest profit margin.

So it's not a sensible decision from a money point of view to begin with.
Now from a FUN point of view, if I had the money to spend on a P85D, I'd go for the P90D even if it means loosing 2500$.
Think of it this way, the P85D has already depreciated 2500 or more thanks to this announcement today.

My vote is, if $2500 isn't going to break you, go for the P90D.

And FUN makes a load of sense btw. So it's sorta sensible too :), what do you work for anyway!

Another way to look at it -

ATLEAST You have the OPTION to upgrade to P90D without going through the trade-in headache. Think of the guy who just took a delivery of P85D earlier today.

Things are worth what you're willing to pay for them.

Imagine that the P90D upgrade was listed at $15,500, and you could put it on your in-production car. It would knock the timeline back by a few weeks, though. Would you do it?

It doesn't matter that $2,500 of that $15,500 is a lost deposit, really...

I would do it if I were you, but I also declined to upgrade to the P85D and I'm pretty happy with the S85D I have in production right now.

All - I wanted to provide an update that might help others. Turns out that for six months Tesla will be offering an upgrade to the new capabilities for a fee of $5K plus labor. This is coming from both my DES and sales guy. We'll see how that turns out but it has me back in the P85D. Best of both worlds - cheaper, sooner and I can decide if I really, really need the upgrade.

I got the S85 since Thursday. It was great. If I had the choice again, would I wait for a faster car? Or 90kw instead of 85kw?
My answer is no.
These additional features are good, but don't justify the extra money and extra waiting time for me.

All - I wanted to provide an update that might help others. Turns out that for six months Tesla will be offering an upgrade to the new capabilities for a fee of $5K plus labor. This is coming from both my DES and sales guy. We'll see how that turns out but it has me back in the P85D. Best of both worlds - cheaper, sooner and I can decide if I really, really need the upgrade.
Always remember that those of us buying PxxD are not really about need at all, but want. It is ridiculous anyway, so I am going for upgrade of my P85D to be ludicrous. Were it me I'd opt for the 90KwH out of the box because "...more is better" and do the Ludicrous upgrade later, but do it all now if the battery upgrade would delay delivery. Problem is, for me anyway, that every day I do not drive my P85D seems to be a wasted day. At my advanced age I still feel like an infatuated teenager every time I see my car, even more so when I drive it or even charge it. Waiting is painful for a teenager!:love:

One note of caution: I hate to say it, because I love Tesla, but my personal experience as well as reading the experiences of others suggests that the Tesla upgrade process is fraught with uncertainty and delay. Different Tesla representatives quote different answers, sometimes even on the same day. Parts turn out not to be available, or are available much later than you first thought. Prices fluctuate.

I think the upgrade path you cite -- $5K plus labor -- seems pretty darned reasonable on the surface, but the reality may turn out to be different than you envision.

Ordering from the factory offers a reasonable certainty that you will get what you order in about the promised time. But is that worth the extra money? :)

Alan

This was the smart choice I think. Same acceleration but slightly cheaper. Enjoy.

tstafford -

I think you made the right call - IMHO

If you cancel you lose $2,500 plus pay an additional $13,000 = $15,500

If you take delivery you pay ~$6,600 (that's whats been reported for the upgrade w/ labor) but forgo the 90kwh battery.

Net savings of $8,900.

Although you can't count on it you have a shot at a higher resale value later on the P85D with upgrade.

Always remember that those of us buying PxxD are not really about need at all, but want. It is ridiculous anyway, so I am going for upgrade of my P85D to be ludicrous. Were it me I'd opt for the 90KwH out of the box because "...more is better" and do the Ludicrous upgrade later, but do it all now if the battery upgrade would delay delivery. Problem is, for me anyway, that every day I do not drive my P85D seems to be a wasted day. At my advanced age I still feel like an infatuated teenager every time I see my car, even more so when I drive it or even charge it. Waiting is painful for a teenager!:love:

Whew! And I thought it was just me.

I'm an outlier in this thread because I'm totally happy with my old, slow*, blind, 2-wheel S85. I wouldn't be able to afford the minimal "extra fun" the P and a fuse would give you anyway.

* not to nearly every other car on the road (except P and P+ of course) :)

tstafford -

I think you made the right call - IMHO

If you cancel you lose $2,500 plus pay an additional $13,000 = $15,500

If you take delivery you pay ~$6,600 (that's whats been reported for the upgrade w/ labor) but forgo the 90kwh battery.

Net savings of $8,900.

Although you can't count on it you have a shot at a higher resale value later on the P85D with upgrade.

Plus the advantage of getting the P85D six weeks earlier than placing a new order now.

My guess is I'll end up driving the car w/o the upgrade (which I will get) and something to look forward to when I pull the trigger (which will mostly be about being w/o the car for a day or two).