TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need an accident support group thread?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Half Dollar Bill, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

#1 Half Dollar Bill, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    I was having an absolutely fantastic day on Saturday running errands in my MS. Hit (stopped at) the Hagerstown supercharger, met a couple fellow owners, met some other enthusiasts, took Flat Stanley pix and was generally having fun all day driving. Within a mile of my house while making a turn, the car in front of me stops short for oncoming traffic and we collide. Low speed, so everyone is OK.

At first glance, it looks like I put a dent in her rear bumper and I’m going to need a new nosecone. I’m not accident-prone and the car is less than two months old so while I realize it could have been way worse I’m still feeling badly. I take the car to the Tesla-recommended shop on Monday and they note some additional damage. They’re thinking between 2 to 4 weeks in the shop, giving allowance for what else they may find once they get it all apart.

So, it slowly starts to dawn on me that I’m going to have to drive a rental during the shop stay and that means:
    [FONT=&amp]- [/FONT]filling the gas tank
    [FONT=&amp]- [/FONT]no internet radio
    [FONT=&amp]- [/FONT]engine noise
    - brake regen
    [FONT=&amp]- [/FONT]no grin

And now I’m wondering if I want to take the less than perfect gal to the DC President’s Weekend meet-up.

The depressing thing about the auto shop visit was that I saw another MS on the lot waiting to be worked on and they showed me a second one in the shop that they had apart to explain the hidden damage. So that’s at least two owners in a similar situation.

The only bright spot I can find in the situation is that it ought to seem like getting a new car all over again once Evey’s out of the shop.

Feel free to add your stories of loss and withdrawal while awaiting repairs.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

For a second, I thought that was the accident.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

+1 I thought the same thing!

4. ModelX

ModelX Member

So sorry to hear this! Sound like you should take her to the meet-up, then get her fixed. It would be a shame to miss the meet-up in DC.

5. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

You definitely should still go. Artsci will probably be there, with a couple of his spare nosecones in his trunk!

6. Half Dollar Bill

Thanks folks, that made my day. I try to be careful with my wording but never expected that reaction.
    No way I want to be the first owner to take out a supercharger :scared:

7. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

I'll bet even money its and ICE that takes out the first Supercharger.

Any takers?

8. Half Dollar Bill

My first thought was that the most plausible scenario was an owner driving away while still connected, like at a gas station pump, but since the car stops you from doing that I think it's all going to boil down to math.
    Granted, ICE's pull into the spots on occasion, but EV's are the main customers. Ruling out malicious intent, I'd have to believe that an EV would be more likely to take the title. Not that I don't appreciate your irony.

9. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

Very good points. Hence, the even-money offer. :)

10. halinacolley

halinacolley Member

+1 lol.. I thought the same