Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Car Insurance Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently pay $1104 for a 6 month policy with Geico covering my 2012 Mustang and my wife's 2016 Jeep Cherokee. I just plugged in a random Model 3 VIN into the Geico website to get a better idea of what I'll be paying and it's not too bad. I put the Model 3 in the quote as replacing my Mustang and put a $500 deductible for comprehensive and $750 deductible for collision. Only increased the 6 month premium by $204.50 which comes up to about $34 more a month. Not too bad, especially for NJ, but I'm still going to shop around.

I'm a 27-year old male who lives in suburban Los Angeles. All of those factors work against me. What I hope to learn here is what other life factors or factors pertaining to my Tesla itself might serve me well in negotiating a more reasonable price for car insurance.

For reference, the cheapest quote I've received online was from the company that currently insures my Hyundai Sonata, Geico - $250/month. The most expensive quote I received was from AAA - $700.33/month. Not a typo.

I have read that AAA rate is crazy high for Tesla in SoCal but didn't know it was that high! But your Geico quote is pretty much right around where you would expect for MS or MX. Maybe M3 is too new so they are giving your quote similar to those of MS/MX. I was told by my insurance agent for 30 years that Tesla rate is high because of the high repair cost not because of safety issue. The lowest rate I could find in SoCal for my MX is about $150 a month, but I have 20 years on you and I live in San Bernardino county instead of LA county.

I had Farmers, and they're not great for Teslas. Checked around, and Ameriprise through Costco was the best for me. Clean records for me and my wife, planning on 20k miles a year on the 3. 7500 a year on the S. Both Teslas on Ameriprise come to about $1500/year. Easily the best rate I found. I'm in SoCal.

I'm amazed by OP's $700/month quote for AAA. My quote for a Model 3 from AAA in San Diego is about $210/month, not including the policy holder dividend (historically 10% to 15% reduction). This is for $500 deductible and 12,000 miles annually. Comprehensive and collision coverage accounts for 80% of the cost. The other coverage items are actually a bit cheaper than a mainstream car like a Honda Accord. I think it helps that I'm in my 30s, married, have a clean record, and have multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts. My quote from Liberty Mutual was almost the same. I'll report back once I get quotes from other companies.

Last edited:
I have read that AAA rate is crazy high for Tesla in SoCal but didn't know it was that high! But your Geico quote is pretty much right around where you would expect for MS or MX. Maybe M3 is too new so they are giving your quote similar to those of MS/MX. I was told by my insurance agent for 30 years that Tesla rate is high because of the high repair cost not because of safety issue. The lowest rate I could find in SoCal for my MX is about $150 a month, but I have 20 years on you and I live in San Bernardino county instead of LA county.
I did 4 or 5 quotes, and they were all around the same, except for AAA which was double.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to do all the manual work themselves. I've had the same auto/home insurance agent for decades, they are not affiliated with any particular carrier, and they have always done a ton of legwork for me over the years to find me the best rate. Most recently they saved me hundreds yearly by switching to a different carrier. I would have never wanted to try to do all that myself.

Geico Quoted me 1040 for 6 months, AAA quoted me 14,000.00 for 12 months, along with my CTS, which was already at 88/month. That sucks because I like AAA and wanted to stick with them, but there's no way I'm paying 25% of the car's cost every year to insure it.

Just got a quote from Mercury through Wescom Credit Union's insurance brokerage arm, 160/month for both cars. So that's not bad.

On top of that, since I'm getting my loan through wescom, they have a deal where they drop your interest rate by an additional .25% if you insure through them.

So I'd look at Wescom Credit Union. All you need to join that CU is to live exactly where you already live.

Or you might go directly through mercury. Hope it turns out well for you.

Geico Quoted me 1040 for 6 months, AAA quoted me 14,000.00 for 12 months, along with my CTS, which was already at 88/month. That sucks because I like AAA and wanted to stick with them, but there's no way I'm paying 25% of the car's cost every year to insure it.

Just got a quote from Mercury through Wescom Credit Union's insurance brokerage arm, 160/month for both cars. So that's not bad.

On top of that, since I'm getting my loan through wescom, they have a deal where they drop your interest rate by an additional .25% if you insure through them.

So I'd look at Wescom Credit Union. All you need to join that CU is to live exactly where you already live.

Or you might go directly through mercury. Hope it turns out well for you.

FWIW my recent switch was from Mercury to Travelers.

Well @camrunr above said Ameriprise thru Costco is $1500/year for 2 Tesla. I have not tried Ameriprise but that's like half the price of most places I found. Since I am a Costco member, maybe I will get a quote from them.

I just did the online quote from Ameriprise and it was cheaper than my current insurance, Farmers, even without putting in multiple cars and home. It was just about $100 cheaper per year though. I don't think I will switch as I have my current agent for 30 years and he is a friend of the family, but Ameriprise seems to have good rate.

I hope here to gather any and all helpful tips, advice, or hair-brained ideas current or future Tesla owners have for negotiating a fair rate from any one of the countless car insurers nationwide and worldwide.

I'm fortunate enough to have been among the group of non-owners invited to configure their Model 3 this past Thursday (2/22). Since, I've been researching online car insurance quotes daily. While the chasm between some of the quotes I've received is comparable in size to the Grand Canyon, they've all had 1 thing in common - they're expensive.

I'm a 27-year old male who lives in suburban Los Angeles. All of those factors work against me. What I hope to learn here is what other life factors or factors pertaining to my Tesla itself might serve me well in negotiating a more reasonable price for car insurance.

For reference, the cheapest quote I've received online was from the company that currently insures my Hyundai Sonata, Geico - $250/month. The most expensive quote I received was from AAA - $700.33/month. Not a typo.

When I receive my VIN and call these various insurance companies for a quote, what can I do/say to help keep the rate down?

EDIT: 100% clean driving record. Never been in an accident. Never gotten a speeding ticket. Nothing to see there. Seems like these insurance companies just don't what they're dealing with when it comes to Tesla and Model 3. Might as well be pulling ping-pong balls out of a spinning crate. Help.

Since you live in Los Angeles, I would suggest talking to different insurance companies to see how much you can get off if you have a dashcam installed. I have read in the various threads and some other forums that this can reduce insurance costs. Also, there is a company that has been recommended by A LOT of members called Calibred Customs. They do the install and also sell you the dashcam if you don't have your own. Just google them and you will be impressed. I am planning to go this route when I get my Model X in a couple of weeks.

Since you live in Los Angeles, I would suggest talking to different insurance companies to see how much you can get off if you have a dashcam installed. I have read in the various threads and some other forums that this can reduce insurance costs. Also, there is a company that has been recommended by A LOT of members called Calibred Customs. They do the install and also sell you the dashcam if you don't have your own. Just google them and you will be impressed. I am planning to go this route when I get my Model X in a couple of weeks.
I'm probably going with Calibred customs for my dashcam specifically because they've done quite a few Model 3's. I'd be a bit leery of going to another shop that hasn't done one, or just a couple.

I haven't heard anything about insurance deductions though

-smak-

I just did the online quote from Ameriprise and it was cheaper than my current insurance, Farmers, even without putting in multiple cars and home. It was just about $100 cheaper per year though. I don't think I will switch as I have my current agent for 30 years and he is a friend of the family, but Ameriprise seems to have good rate.

I admit I freaked out a bit when I read the OP, because I am in the exact same situation as him, 27, single male, 100% clean driving record, but when I did my quote with Ameriprise, it came back with $78 a month! Woo!

Reactions: Pkmmte