Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Charging Options for Palm Springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friends and I are going to Palm Springs (in around Rancho Mirage) for an extended weekend in a few weeks. My friend made a reservation on a house rental. He does not know the electrical layout and doesn't know if the garage will have any outlets other than the standard 110v (unless it is different for PS). So if I needed to go somewhere to get a charge, where is the best place? (I am expected to pick up my S a week before the trip, and this will be my first trip in the S!!). Should I go and get a Chargepoint card? or will most charging stations accept credit cards? The Barstow Supercharger won't work (darnnit!). Or should I just rent an ICE? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Many others have posted responses to similar questions but I will reiterate:
(a) get ChargePoint, Blink and similar cards/fobs/account set up right away.
(b) ensure you have your J1772 public charging adapter hand, and I would recommend you try charging at a public charter before you trip to ensure it works properly.
(c) become familiar with apps/web sites to locate charge stations (Recargo, Chargpoint, etc.) and search around the zipcode you will be staying. Trust me, there are LOTS of options in Palm Springs. Most Walgreens have chargers, the PS airport has many.
(d) start your trip with a RANGE charge to ensure max energy.
(e) use cruise control whenever possible. Smooth driving really reduces energy and increases your range.
(f) always have a backup plan: where am I going to stop and charge (plus eat and/or shop while we wait a few hours) to guarantee you'll have a stress free trip.

Good luck, have fun.

Many others have posted responses to similar questions but I will reiterate:
(a) get ChargePoint, Blink and similar cards/fobs/account set up right away.
(b) ensure you have your J1772 public charging adapter hand, and I would recommend you try charging at a public charter before you trip to ensure it works properly.
(c) become familiar with apps/web sites to locate charge stations (Recargo, Chargpoint, etc.) and search around the zipcode you will be staying. Trust me, there are LOTS of options in Palm Springs. Most Walgreens have chargers, the PS airport has many.
(d) start your trip with a RANGE charge to ensure max energy.
(e) use cruise control whenever possible. Smooth driving really reduces energy and increases your range.
(f) always have a backup plan: where am I going to stop and charge (plus eat and/or shop while we wait a few hours) to guarantee you'll have a stress free trip.

Good luck, have fun.

Thanks Steve

(a) so i guess they are not universal cards, eh?
(b) good recommendation. I will try it at several charging stations near home.
(c) I've read through ChadS's primer on trip planning. But his google map's location of charging stations doesn't show anything for PS. I've already downloaded Recargo and PlugShare on my phone and it was a bit skimpy on charging points in the Rancho Mirage area too. Others I have found are part of hotels/resorts, and since I am not staying there not sure if I can access them.
(d) yep, was planning to do a range charge before my trek to PS
(e) Yep, was planning to do a leisurely drive so as to not eat up electrons too quickly.
(f) the reason why I posted, to see if I am missing anything when I am in PS. I don't want to fail on my first trip. :smile:

Thanks Steve

(a) so i guess they are not universal cards, eh?
(b) good recommendation. I will try it at several charging stations near home.
(c) I've read through ChadS's primer on trip planning. But his google map's location of charging stations doesn't show anything for PS. I've already downloaded Recargo and PlugShare on my phone and it was a bit skimpy on charging points in the Rancho Mirage area too. Others I have found are part of hotels/resorts, and since I am not staying there not sure if I can access them.
(d) yep, was planning to do a range charge before my trek to PS
(e) Yep, was planning to do a leisurely drive so as to not eat up electrons too quickly.
(f) the reason why I posted, to see if I am missing anything when I am in PS. I don't want to fail on my first trip. :smile:

You should certainly plug in to 110/12A if thats the best you have at the house. Over three days (24hr*3+mi/hr) you would add 70-90 miles of range. And by charging at a Walgreens or PS Airport parking lot J1772 for four more hours you'd add another 100-120 miles.

Sounds like you have the bases pretty well covered. And yes, each of these charge vendors requires different cards so might as well collect all and keep with your J1772 adapter.

You should certainly plug in to 110/12A if thats the best you have at the house. Over three days (24hr*3+mi/hr) you would add 70-90 miles of range. And by charging at a Walgreens or PS Airport parking lot J1772 for four more hours you'd add another 100-120 miles.

Sounds like you have the bases pretty well covered. And yes, each of these charge vendors requires different cards so might as well collect all and keep with your J1772 adapter.

I think you'll add a lot more than 70-90 miles of charge even if just plugged into a 110/12A outlet over three days.