Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need detailed pull case analysis of Tesla Q3 financial results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I'm a big fan of Tesla.

I found the following bear article about Q3 financial results
Analyst Erupts At Tesla: "They Used Every Trick From Every Fraud To Put Lipstick On Q3 Results"

I would like to refute in detail the points that are made in this article.
Can you post links with a detailed bull side of Q3 financial results.
The point here that the analysis should be a detailed one.

Also if somebody has linked to audio podcasts that presents a detailed bull case of Tesla I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Guys I'm a big fan of Tesla.

I found the following bear article about Q3 financial results
Analyst Erupts At Tesla: "They Used Every Trick From Every Fraud To Put Lipstick On Q3 Results"

I would like to refute in detail the points that are made in this article.
Can you post links with a detailed bull side of Q3 financial results.
The point here that the analysis should be a detailed one.

Also if somebody has linked to audio podcasts that presents a detailed bull case of Tesla I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Hah. That site is hilarious. I guess the real question is why bother? Moreso, why ask others why they should bother for you? There's plenty to read here to make a case. Maybe luvb2b's thread about q3 numbers.
duty_calls.png

Urgh. I feel a bit dirty for reading that and all the comments below. The main argument seems to be that Tesla has committed fraud by under-declaring depreciation in Q3. Because tooling is depreciated on a per unit basis rather than straight line basis and depreciation hardly went up despite Model 3 deliveries doubling.

Tooling is indeed depreciated on a per unit basis:

Depreciation for tooling is computed using the units-of-production method whereby capitalized costs are amortized over the total estimated productive life of the respective assets. As of December 31, 2017, the estimated productive life for Model S and X tooling was 250,000 vehicles based on our current estimates of production. As of December 31, 2017, the estimated productive life for Model 3 tooling was 1,000,000 vehicles based on our current estimates of production.

But, it's just tooling that's done this way:

Property, plant and equipment, including leasehold improvements, are recognized at cost less accumulated depreciation and amortization. Depreciation is generally computed using the straight-line method over the estimated useful lives of the respective assets, as follows: Machinery, equipment, vehicles and office furniture 2 to 12 years Building and building improvements 15 to 30 years Computer equipment and software 3 to 10 years

If you look at a breakdown of fixed assets (prior to accumulated deprec and amortisation) as at June 2018, we had:
$5.2bn Machinery, equipment, furniture
$3.9bn Buildings, building improvements, land
$1.3bn Construction in progress
$0.9bn Leasehold improvements
$0.4bn Software

and only...
$1.4bn Tooling.

Looking back through past accounts and using Dec 2016 / Mar 2017 as the approximate cut-off time, +$800m of Tooling pre-dates the Model 3 programme (i.e. S&X, energy). Which implies a maximum amount of tooling of only $600m for Model 3. Tesla have told us they intend to depreciate that tooling over a million vehicles, so call it about $600 of incremental depreciation per Model 3 produced. Q3 saw 53,200 M3 produced, vs 28,500 in Q2. So the incremental Model 3 Tooling depreciation in Q3 vs Q2 is only $15m.

If this is really the best argument a Tesla bear can come up with, I feel like I should be buying more stock. However I suspect that whoever wrote doesn't believe it themselves, it's just click-bait to feed the mob.