Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need dryer adapter 10-30P to 14-50R and extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for recommendations for this adapter and a 50’ 50amp extension cord.
Also does anyone know whether a TT-30P to 14-50R will work? Have a 3 prong dryer outlet.

Thanks in advance.
One thing that other folks have done is to cut off the neutral L-shaped prong on the 14-30 adapter so it will fit into either a 14-30 or 14-50 receptacle (remember, you can always draw less amps than an outlet's rated value, not more.) Then you can plug that into your 14-50 extension cord and not have to worry about manually setting the charging amps for the dryer outlet.

An alternative would be to use a short 14-50P-to-14-30R adapter that would go between the 14-50 extension cord and the 14-30 UMC adapter; have thought about doing this but haven't yet had the time or need for it.
You don't need to an adapter...You can just mod your UMC plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended.
Although the Model S remembers your amp setting by location, so you should always check the current draw.

Ingineer said:
You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60. The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker. View attachment 110270

upload_2018-1-13_21-44-45.png

Last edited:
Guys, please read the OP information a bit more closely. He says he has a three wire dryer outlet. There are a lot of posts here talking about a 14-30 adapter, modifying it, etc. that’s not useful and isn’t applicable to the OP’s situation. He has an older 10-30 dryer receptacle.

Another complicating factor is the need for a 50’ extension. That’s pretty long. I don’t even know if you can buy a 50’ NEMA 14-50extention cord and even if you did, it would weigh a ton. Mine’s 30 feet long and it is a beast. But maybe the OP only needs 50’ total which would be 20’ from the UMC, and 30’ from the extension. Unclear.

The OP didn’t say whether or not he had a gen 1 or gen 2 UMC. The gen 2 use pigtail adapters, the gen 1 use stubby end adapters. Again, someone posted a link to an adapter in this thread to a gen 2 adapter. Be aware there are two different kinds of UMC adapters now.

But beyond that, if the OP has a gen 1 adapter, then there is a company that can modify the UMC cable and lengthen it from 20’ to 50’ or longer. This is the best solution since it allows you to use all the gen 1 Tesla adapters without having to use extensions or dial down currents in the car. This and other info is on my site at CarCharging.us

if ur handy, turn off the breaker for the 10-30 and remove the outlet and inspect the wires. Use a digital multimeter to confirm you've actually disconnected power before removing the plate. I had 10/3 wiring already there. (3 wires + ground). I had a house built in 1977 which had the ground wire there but it was left loose. I used a meter to confirm it was actually attached to ground (120 between the legs and the ground). I then changed the 10-30 to a 14-30. (Seems they new to draw the ground in the 70's but no place to attach at the time with the 14-30 being a newer outlet from the mid-90's).

So I use the Tesla 14-30 adapter that way.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Guys, please read the OP information a bit more closely. He says he has a three wire dryer outlet. There are a lot of posts here talking about a 14-30 adapter, modifying it, etc. that’s not useful and isn’t applicable to the OP’s situation. He has an older 10-30 dryer receptacle.

Another complicating factor is the need for a 50’ extension. That’s pretty long. I don’t even know if you can buy a 50’ NEMA 14-50extention cord and even if you did, it would weigh a ton. Mine’s 30 feet long and it is a beast. But maybe the OP only needs 50’ total which would be 20’ from the UMC, and 30’ from the extension. Unclear.

The OP didn’t say whether or not he had a gen 1 or gen 2 UMC. The gen 2 use pigtail adapters, the gen 1 use stubby end adapters. Again, someone posted a link to an adapter in this thread to a gen 2 adapter. Be aware there are two different kinds of UMC adapters now.

But beyond that, if the OP has a gen 1 adapter, then there is a company that can modify the UMC cable and lengthen it from 20’ to 50’ or longer. This is the best solution since it allows you to use all the gen 1 Tesla adapters without having to use extensions or dial down currents in the car. This and other info is on my site at CarCharging.us
Sorry if the talk about modifying a 14-30 adapter introduced any confusion, but here's why it's relevant:

He needs to use an extension cord, which would typically be a 14-50P-14-50R, like the heavy-duty Camco cord which you've linked to on your site. That implies he will need a 10-30P-to-14-50R adapter for the outlet end, like the one that Bonnie linked above. Then he could plug the UMC into the 14-50R end of the extension cord, dial down the amps to 24A in the car, and have a solution.

But we're saying that isn't necessarily the safest solution. If he was able to use the 14-30 UMC adapter instead of the 14-50 UMC adapter, then its built-in resistor would make sure the current draw doesn't exceed 24 amps.

However, he can't plug the 14-30 UMC adapter into a 14-50R extension cord, unless he cuts off the neutral prong, or has an additional adapter to convert from 14-30R to 14-50P so he can plug into the extension cord.

i have a similar situation. The 14-30 wall outlet is about 25 feet away (it was originally a 10-30 but see above how I found it was wired for 10/3 with the ground wire confirmed to be truly grounded). I like the idea of having goof-proof failsafes,so what I did to keep it from exceeding 24 amps: Car --> tesla charger -> Telsa 14-30 adapter --> 14-30Receptacle (R) to 14-50 (P) : 14-50 heavy duty Camco cord -->14-30 pigtail to wall outlet.

I'm hoping to get a real 14-50 outlet installed in the next 6 months so that's why the hokeyness above - but it works fine. I didn't want to destroy the neutral off of the 14-50 cord since it's such a nice quality cable. The only difficulty I've had is finding a quality 14-30R to 14-50 P adapter - I ended up having to get this (below) which has 2 outlets but the build quality is rugged and I've had no problems with overheating or warm cords etc. What's nice is the plug can be mounted on the wall so it's not drooping on the floor (in case garage floods or something best to leave 240v connections off of the ground I figure) - it has 2 outlets which i only use one. Reading this thread what I should consider is cutting the neutral off of the 14-30 Tesla adapter and even the extension cord if I decide not to get a 14-50 done and I can save a couple of connections.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJESJU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1\

Should I decide to cut the neutral....How do I cut the neutral off of the tesla adapter - do I use a reciprocating saw or a pair of pliers? How about Camco cord (though I hate to destroy such a nice cable for resell value).

It's pretty hard to find a 14-30R to 14-50P adapter, for safety reasons: you could fry a 30A home appliance if using such an adapter to connect it to a 50A outlet. Preventing such a connection is the whole reason for the different shape of the 14-30's neutral prong. Ironically, this adapter is safer for our specific use case since it lets the proper-rated UMC adapter be attached to a 14-50 extension cord that has an adapter back down to 30A at the power outlet.

Options I've considered, to supplement a 14-50 extension cord with a 10-30 or 14-30 pigtail adapter going to a dryer outlet:

1. Buy the pre-made Conntek 14-30R-14-50P cord (108.63 at Amazon).
Pro: well-made, plug and play (no tools needed)
Con: expensive; might as well just buy a separate 30A extension cord at that price.

2. Build my own adapter, with a Leviton NEMA 14-30 receptacle (9.99) and Camco NEMA 14-50 plug & cord (18.70).
Unscrew and discard the receptacle end of the Camco adapter, then wire it up to the Leviton receptacle as in this video.
Pro: relatively inexpensive (28.69 in parts).
Con: requires tools (screwdrivers, wire stripper, multimeter to make sure the right wires are connected). Not waterproof.

3. Cut the neutral (L-shaped) prong off the Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter, so it will plug directly into the 14-50 extension cord.
Pro: no cost if I already own the 14-30 UMC adapter (new one is 45.00 or 35.00 from Tesla, depending on Gen1/Gen2 UMC);
eliminates extra connection points which the previous two solutions introduce
Con: also requires tools (Sawzall, Dremel, or hacksaw); may be destructive to adapter's resale ability

4. Just use the supplied 14-50 adapter to plug into the extension cord, and manually dial down to 24A in the car.
Pro: zero extra cost.
Con: can be unsafe for a 30A outlet if the car loses track of its location and resets charging to 30A or higher!

I've done #4 and don't feel entirely comfortable with it. Next time I need to charge at a rental with a dryer outlet, I think I'll go with #3.

Reactions: cybergates
That can be easily made at home if you are handy. Home Depot has all of the parts needed except a 30 amp On-Off-On toggle switch in place of the readout gauge. That can be sourced online. I like to put twist lock receptacles on the box for the in and the two outs. Then I build a variety of cords for whatever plugs that I encounter while traveling.

Last edited:
I don’t even know if you can buy a 50’ NEMA 14-50extention cord and even if you did, it would weigh a ton. Mine’s 30 feet long and it is a beast.

Yes, I had a beast one too -- just at 25' it was unruly and heavy. So I got rid of it and I made two 30' long extension cords that were a must before I installed a HPWC at my cabin. Now I only take them with me when I'm visiting family or friends and may need to reach a dryer outlet. That extra 60' added to the UMC opens up a lot more charging possibilities. But you can only really do it with the proper flexible cable without the unnecessary wire Tesla doesn't use, like this cable:

6/3 SOOW SO Cord 30 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire cable | eBay

Then it's simple to attach these male and female ends:

Camco Power Grip Replacement Power Extension Cord Female Receptacle 50 Amp 55353 | eBay

Reactions: Cosmacelf
2. Build my own adapter, with a Leviton NEMA 14-30 receptacle (9.99) and Camco NEMA 14-50 plug & cord (18.70).
Unscrew and discard the receptacle end of the Camco adapter, then wire it up to the Leviton receptacle as in this video.
Pro: relatively inexpensive (28.69 in parts).
Con: requires tools (screwdrivers, wire stripper, multimeter to make sure the right wires are connected). Not waterproof.
This is one of those times when I wish I could edit an old post. Yesterday I actually tried to build this adapter, and found out that I linked to the wrong Camco item. :(

On that particular Camco 14-50P-TT30R adapter, the plug end is molded, not screwed on as I had originally thought. Unfortunately, this means it cannot be opened up and rewired so that both hots and ground are connected (its 3 connectors are wired to hot, neutral, and ground, which is designed for 120V use.) If you really want to build a 14-30R-14-50P adapter, you would need the standard replacement Camco 14-50 plug instead, plus a length of 10/4 wire, connecting each wire straight across to the Leviton receptacle.

That said, I'm not recommending this approach. Buying a Tesla 14-30 adapter and cutting off the neutral prong (so it can fit into a 14-50 extension cord going to a 30-amp outlet) seems like a much simpler alternative.

• Informative
You don't need to an adapter...You can just mod your UMC plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended.
Although the Model S remembers your amp setting by location, so you should always check the current draw.

View attachment 273218

so i used a sawzall to cut that just as shown above - works great! So I'm using now Tesla UMC--> 14-30 TESLA adapter --> 14-50 Camco cord --> 14-50 R to 14-30 Plug pigtail from amazon. I suppose I can reduce one more step by cutting the same pin off of the extension cord but it's a really nice cord...I hate to damage it.