Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Feedback from real world users - long commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy trip to make with p85.

- - - Updated - - -

The other issue we have is, if you average more than 10mph between Olympia and Fort Lewis, you're on a bicycle, not a car... Bad weather in the winter combined with a 2 hour traffic hickup will chew through even the rangiest of range charges.

I disagree, stop and go traffic or 10 mph speeds produces great miles / kW. Slower is always better with any EV.

I don't do it every day, as I often take the train, but about once a week I do a 100 mile round trip from the NYC suburbs into SoHo and I've honestly been very pleased. With the 85kWh pack I don't really have any range anxiety issues, but when I did (at first) I would park at a garage where I could plug in. Now I don't bother. I standard charge. I've only once range charged, but that was for a full 200 mile trip, not my normal drive. Seriously, if you drive at highway speeds (not insanely fast) you get above the rated range; or at least I do.

As for the drive, the car is very comfortable to sit in for longish daily trips. In bumper to bumper I tend to turn off "creep."

My only true annoyance (I've gotten used to the cup holders BTW) is the EZ Pass (toll pass) doesn't always register, and then I'm the guy holding up a line of cars. That totally sucks.

Also, I've had the car since the first week in December, so been through a winter without any issues (Brodering).

As for bad roads - I drive on cobble stone, pot holed, downtown NYC crap roads without any issues, but I have the 19" wheels. I might get snow tires next winter, but that remains to be seen.

Basically, I love this car. I've never loved a car before, but I love this thing. I love the drive. I love the fact that it is an EV. I love that I charge off of my solar powered house. I love that at NYC garages they put her in a special spot to show her off and also keeps her safe from dings. The internet audio is great (don't have the sound package, but don't see the need).

I've driven Seattle to Vancouver, BC several times. 150 miles each way.

On cold (35F) rainy days with the heater cranked and driving 70mph I averaged 360Wh/mi. So under those conditions, a full charge would give you 236 miles of range.

On nice days, no rain no heater 70-75mph, I average 330Wh/mi for the trip, or 257 miles of range. A/C cooling seems to have negligable affect on range.

Seattle to Portland should see the same or better range as there are fewer hills along the route. I think your commute would be very doable assuming you can be confident about charging in Portland.