Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need fellow owner help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ct-x

Jan 3, 2017
Ct
I also posted this in tesla forum so please excuse the duplication for those who read both.

I have a 90D delivered in dec 2016.
Overall I am very pleased and happy but have one recurring issue that SC team can't seem to figure out.
Sporadically when I exit the car and walk away the driver door won't close and the car doesn't shut down properly.
The settings are correct for this to happen in controls/settings area.
Sometimes it's fine and sometimes not. I can't seem to find any pattern.
My setting is also for headlights to go off on exit. The only thing I noticed is that when I exit and lights don't go off then the door doesn't shut when I walk away and the car doesn't shut down.
If I walk away the door stays open, radio on, lights on etc.
If I go back and press the door handle to close the door then door shuts, car doesn't lock, radio stays on and lights on.

I kept a record of all the times it did this, about 8 times in a month and emailed the dates and times to SC and they reviewed the logs the said they couldn't find anything wrong.

They suggested I bring it and leave it for a few days.

It's annoying to do that and I honestly expect they won't figure it out so I am asking of anyone has experience with this or knows of a solution.

I believe your fobs should be on the latest firmware considering your delivery date, but that's also a worthwhile avenue to pursue. We had to flash both of our fobs to the latest firmware (Service Center did it) in order to fix a few rogue issues. This was last summer, though.

• Helpful
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
While I certainly feel your frustrations I can imagine how difficult it is for service Centres to replicate "sporadic" issues like this. When a service Centre is busy this can be time consuming to replicate and then diagnose and fix. I remember having sporadic issues with other vehicles and getting similar responses from service techs. Not sure what the answer is - maybe taking a few videos too to demonstrate it happening because then the service techs wouldn't need to replicate - just start proactively replacing parts but it's still going to be a lot of trial and error. I hope it gets resolved for your sake.

I don't have much more to offer, except when you walk away, a single-press of the fob will lock the car. In my experience, simply closing the door is not sufficient to "lock" the car. You can tell the car is locked when the mirrors retract, the spoiler lowers (if you have a Performance model) and the lights turn off.

Also, play around with the settings at Controls -> Settings -> Vehicle -> Walk-Away Door Lock. Try to turn off, then on. Even try a double- thumb-wheel reboot.

When this occurs is it after you have just driven the vehicle, or was it parked, you got in to the car without driving, and then walked away? I was surprised to find out if you had not just driven the vehicle, walking away does not close the front door and lock the car.

Reactions: PaulusdB
Thanks for all your replies.
I will look into all of these things.

cmdrthor: I have this problem after I have driven the car but once it has happened I will try to get back in, close the door and then try to get out again and it often continues to happen.
It can take a few tries to get it to shut down properly after closing the door.

Could it be a bad sensor in the car that thinks someone is still inside?

Be sure to log the times and dates this happens so they can look at the logs more closely. They can't really tell if the car stayed on because someone was still in it or the car only thought someone was still in it. Only you can confirm that.

Reactions: ohmman
Good call on the sensor. An easy test -- get in the vehicle seated and press the brake. The IC should power up. Lift yourself off of the seat and see if it goes out. Mine does this when I lean over to grab the seatbelt, thinking that I've left the car. It comes back on when I sit back centered. I will double check the steps in this progression, but I believe that lifting yourself off of the seat should black out the IC if the sensor is working.

Umm..so what you are saying is that if someone is sitting on the drivers seat and another person walks away with the keys, the auto door lock mechanism will not trigger? That is interesting..need to test that.

Ok so that was too tempting to pass so I tested it.

1. Sat in the driver seat and turned on the car
2. Through the window gave the key to my wife who took it far away inside the house and placed in a metal box. (Location that we have tested earlier is far enough for the fob to stop communicating with the car)
3. The car stayed on for several minutes. Radio went off for like two seconds and came back on.
4. Wife brought the key back and I opened the driver door. She took the key back and placed it in the metal box.
5. Door remained open and car and radio stayed on.
6. After several minutes I slip out of the car. Door remains open and car and radio stayed on.
7. I went inside and retrieved the fob
8. Walked around the car with the fob starting with driver side. As soon as I reached the passenger side, the driver door closed and car and radio shut down like it normally happens.

Conclusion: The weight sensor in the driver seat does override the fact that the key fob has walked away.

Last edited: