Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for replacement desiccant bag in the AZ desert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I love the fact we don’t require lots of routine maintenance. I also loved when Elon claimed Service would never be a profit center. Yet I am being quoted over $300 for install of $12 parts of air filter and desiccant bag. Any thoughts on need for replacing the desiccant in the AZ desert?

As I understand it, the A/C system must be evacuated and completely recharged. This requires special equipment to capture the refrigerant. Other parts likely must be disassembled to get to it. There are other small parts required to be replaced for this process, I believe.

PS - Seems like nothing is easy to access on the Tesla S. :)

Last edited:
As I understand it, the A/C system must be evacuated and completely recharged. This requires special equipment to capture the refrigerant. Other parts likely must be disassembled to get to it. There are other small parts required to be replaced for this process, I believe.

PS - Seems like nothing is easy to access on the Tesla S. :)
The quote only shows dessicant bag and air filter as the $12 parts. The rest is labor. There is no mention of refrigerant. It would be nice to be able to discuss with the shop but that’s not the Tesla “method” of customer service.