Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for screen protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't feel the needs, yes maybe fingerprint, but if the screen is on, you really don't even notice it. People get it in case they scratches the screen. It really puzzle me how? you really have to purposely try to scratch it. It's not a cell phone that you carry everywhere. I mean, do you put screen protector on your tv? Haha

The AO matte screen protector is very easy to install correctly, cuts down on glare, cuts down on fingerprints, allows your finger to glide on the screen like silk, and helps protect the screen. Other than the ~$40, what's not to like?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Literally the first thing I installed on all three of my cars. Get the one from abstract ocean. The ones from Amazon don't fit right. His is oleophobic and fingerprints are barely a problem. I have on two separate occasions accidentally hit the screen with my cell phone in my hand getting in and out of the car. Both times it was the corner edge of the phone hitting the glass. It didn't break the screen protector but I'm glad I had the protection there just in case. Cheap insurance vs the cost of a new touch screen IMO. If cost is an issue, the cheapo one worked fine for me for over a year, just had a slight gap at the top. I think it was like 10 bucks.

How necessary is a screen protector? See a lot of people talking about them but what are the main reasons for needing one? Also, what are some of the best quality options?

Only you can answer that for yourself, but.........unless you currently have issues with glare, or fingerprints, then you don’t need one. I’ve had at least 4 cars now with you touchscreens and never had a scratch or issues with fingerprints. I mean, even if you eventually see fingerprints, so what? Just clean the screen and they are gone.

Reactions: Reborn
I wouldn't bother unless you have kids, accidents do happen. just wash your hands often to remove grease, put down the fries by haha
For me, it’s the kid factor. He’s cool and fun but occasionally a little clumsy. I put a protector on my phone screens and it’s saved me many times. Granted there is little chance of dropping this but it’s nice to not stress about it.

I acknowledge that this is likely a useless accessory but if it does end up being used as a sacrificial barrier then it would have been worth it.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Seeing as I do have a young kid I'll probably opt for the screen protector. $40 on a $50,000 car is a worthy insurance policy for sure. Abstract Ocean's screen protector does seem very nice. Whats the main con of going Matte vs HD?

I purchased the AO matte screen protector a while back but have not yet installed it; too many other projects. I viewed the AO video and it is possible to remove the screen protector by carefully lifting up one edge if you want to take off the protector.

How necessary is a screen protector? See a lot of people talking about them but what are the main reasons for needing one? Also, what are some of the best quality options?
Main reason? It’s very expensive to replace a cracked screen, why take a chance.

Matted screen not only provide protection, it also reduces the glare from the sun. Also leave less finger prints and those wipe clean faster.

Im sure you have a screen protector on your phone. Same reason Period.

Fred