Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for screen protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Main reason? It’s very expensive to replace a cracked screen, why take a chance.

Matted screen not only provide protection, it also reduces the glare from the sun. Also leave less finger prints and those wipe clean faster.

Im sure you have a screen protector on your phone. Same reason Period.

Fred
I think you are underestimating the force required to crack a screen that you haven't dropped and overestimating the protection a thin glass sheet would provide in the case of such direct force.

Phone screens crack because of the impact on a corner, not typically from a direct impact on the screen.

But insurance is insurance and I hope it was a waste of money for everyone (meaning you never crack your screens...)

I had my car less than a year and cracked the very very edge of the screen.... protector. One day I quickly grabbed my iPhone and jumped out of the car and the very edge of my phone hit the very edge of the screen. Very small tiny chip was taken out of the edge of the screen, but thankfully I had a protector on there that went right to the edge. Now maybe the main screen wouldn’t have chipped at all and just the “cheap” (~$40) protector... but either way I’m glad I had it.

Takes about 10 minutes to install, almost can’t tell it’s there at all, and can’t hurt to have it! Also, I’ve noticed with phones that the oleophobic coating slowly wears off. With a screen protector I could replace it every couple years if I notice finger prints build up on it easier.

I got one for our Model 3 from Abstract Ocean thinking, "I'll never need this but, I'll try it anyway." Within 6 months of ownership my girlfriend managed to crack the protector after she hit it with her keys by accident. I don't know if the screen would have cracked without the protector, but it was a small investment. I ended up replacing the cracked one with a cheap one I found on Amazon for about $15 -- I can't tell the difference between it and the more expensive Abstract Ocean one.

I'm looking for a screen protector that reduces the glare. Was considering the one from Tesmanian, but that doesn't say anything about anti-glare. Does anyone have a recommendation for an anti-glare option for the screen. Not sure we really need screen protection, but glare has been a problem on the factory screen. Thanks

I'm looking for a screen protector that reduces the glare. Was considering the one from Tesmanian, but that doesn't say anything about anti-glare. Does anyone have a recommendation for an anti-glare option for the screen. Not sure we really need screen protection, but glare has been a problem on the factory screen. Thanks
Any of the screen protectors with a matte finish will reduce reflections. Still, even with an anti-glare matte finish screen protector installed the screen can wash out in direct sunlight as can happen when the sun is low in the morning or late afternoon. I installed the Abstract Ocean (AO) Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 & Y. The AO screen protector is offered in HD Clear Anti-Fingerprint and Matte (Anti-Glare) finishes.

Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 & Y

QUOTE="iaonbb, post: 5059179, member: 81496"]Literally the first thing I installed on all three of my cars. Get the one from abstract ocean. The ones from Amazon don't fit right. His is oleophobic and fingerprints are barely a problem. I have on two separate occasions accidentally hit the screen with my cell phone in my hand getting in and out of the car. Both times it was the corner edge of the phone hitting the glass. It didn't break the screen protector but I'm glad I had the protection there just in case. Cheap insurance vs the cost of a new touch screen IMO. If cost is an issue, the cheapo one worked fine for me for over a year, just had a slight gap at the top. I think it was like 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]
I think you are underestimating the force required to crack a screen that you haven't dropped and overestimating the protection a thin glass sheet would provide in the case of such direct force.

Phone screens crack because of the impact on a corner, not typically from a direct impact on the screen.

But insurance is insurance and I hope it was a waste of money for everyone (meaning you never crack your screens...)

Well, I've only owned four Teslas, so what do I know. Never had any scratches or cracks of the center screen, or of any other, in a cumulative 200,000+ miles or so. Seems like a waste of time and money. And, by the way, my phone doesn't have a screen protector. Never had one of them crack either.

I wonder how many people worried about having their dash screen cracking on their gas cars.

QUOTE="iaonbb, post: 5059179, member: 81496"]Literally the first thing I installed on all three of my cars. Get the one from abstract ocean. The ones from Amazon don't fit right. His is oleophobic and fingerprints are barely a problem. I have on two separate occasions accidentally hit the screen with my cell phone in my hand getting in and out of the car. Both times it was the corner edge of the phone hitting the glass. It didn't break the screen protector but I'm glad I had the protection there just in case. Cheap insurance vs the cost of a new touch screen IMO. If cost is an issue, the cheapo one worked fine for me for over a year, just had a slight gap at the top. I think it was like 10 bucks.
[/QUOTE]
The story would have been much better if the protector broke. I still can’t think how you think that enough force could be generated inside the confined space of a car to crack the screen AND that if somehow you were able to generate that much force in a confined space that a mm of glass would protect it.

If you insist on calling it insurance, just know it’s outrageously expensive and it won’t pay out in any of the most likely scenarios in which you’d need it (I.e. the protector and screen both break).

I've had the screen protectors on my M3 and MY clear but then I just recently switched it out to the matte and I really like it. It reduces the crazy glare from the sun as others have mentioned and it looks really nice too. It's inexpensive and easy to install, just get one you won't regret it.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It helps a lot with fingerprints. I have the Abstract Ocean one (not the matte) now on the X, I had another on the S and it worked well for the seven years i drove it.

Everyone is recommending Abstract Ocean, but the best one is Spigen's EZ Fit Matte protector.

Literally no hassle installing the protector. Done in 1 minute. No lifting/matching up sides. Was a pleasure to install.