Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need gutters....on a wait list for solar glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a deposit down for the solar roof, but no solar glass roof installations in Indiana yet. We could use new gutters.....any problems with getting new gutters before we get a roof? Guessing it will be at least a year before they are up and running here in Indiana and would like to upgrade our gutters now and get the roof when it’s ready....probably at least a year? or is it advised we hold off on the gutters until the roof is completed?

They had no issue installing my solar roof without touching the gutters. I did happen to have them replaced afterwards but wasn’t necessary. The installers recommended to go for larger gutters since the solar roof sits higher and water runs faster off of it.

I would oversizing the gutters a bit. Water comes off a solarglass roof much harder and faster than off a normal tile or composite roof. And there are two ways for the water to get to the gutter, under the glass and on top of the underlayment , and on top of the glass. I have a write up on our installation here and with links to images and videos of the roof in rain.

Also, the price quote for the roof does include new gutters, and they may need to replace your gutters to make them fit the profile of the SolarGlass roof. Mine were 3 or 4 years old and they ripped them off and replaced them. If they can use the new gutters you are now putting on you might try to negotiate the price down.

Last edited:
Also, the price of the roof does include new gutters, and they may need to replace your gutters to make them fit the profile of the SolarGlass roof. Mine were 3 or 4 years old and they ripped them off and replaced them. If they can use the new gutters you are now putting on you might try to negotiate the price down.

Not sure if it's a regional or national change, but when I inquired about gutters they said they no longer offer that as part of the price nor handle the installation. Sure enough, after I accepted the payment details last week, they sent a referral for gutters which included this statement:

"Tesla does not complete gutter installations or manage gutter installations with sub-contractors during the Solar Roof installation, but we do provide recommendations for local contractors in your area who can complete gutter work if you would like to make your own arrangements."

Not sure if it's a regional or national change, but when I inquired about gutters they said they no longer offer that as part of the price nor handle the installation. Sure enough, after I accepted the payment details last week, they sent a referral for gutters which included this statement:

"Tesla does not complete gutter installations or manage gutter installations with sub-contractors during the Solar Roof installation, but we do provide recommendations for local contractors in your area who can complete gutter work if you would like to make your own arrangements."

Thanks for the update. We did not have that option. Luckily we are very happy with the gutters we got.