Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help analyze electrical consumption numbers

Islandcapture

Jun 14, 2020
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

I seem to be losing my point on a recent back and forth with some FB friends regarding the cost advantage of an EV in our location. I understand the gas consumption vs electrical cost is just one of the factors but let me make sure I'm computing this right. I'm really bad at math.

Here are the numbers... (per kWh)
Delivery & System Charges
Next 1203 KWH @ $ .1045
Power Supply Charges $ .097772
Taxes & Other Charges
DER Charge $ .003826
Sales Tax @ 2.5 %

Here is my take. Let me know if it make sense or I should go back to high school...
kWh consumed for one month - 353.42 kWh

Total charges = 0.21125045 (I basically added all the numbers and added the 2.5% sales tax)

So 353.42 kWh x 0.21125045 cents = $74.66 - Is this correct charge for the month? Roughly?

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
That would be the correct charge, but you probably shouldn't compare that to the amount of gas money you'd use in a month. A guess might be 259wh/mile so your 353.42kwh would take you around 1360 miles. Doing that in a 25 mpg car at $2 a gallon would run you ~$109. The economics of a Tesla are indeed only marginal when you have high electricity rates and low gas prices. OTOH if you buy an ICE, it won't be a Tesla :)

I also note the first line says 'Next 1203kwh'. What was the 'first' bunch of kwh costing you? It probably doesn't matter, since you'll always be in a later tier. Also, see if the power company has special rates for car charging.

Islandcapture

Jun 14, 2020
Long Island, NY
That would be the correct charge, but you probably shouldn't compare that to the amount of gas money you'd use in a month. A guess might be 259wh/mile so your 353.42kwh would take you around 1360 miles. Doing that in a 25 mpg car at $2 a gallon would run you ~$109. The economics of a Tesla are indeed only marginal when you have high electricity rates and low gas prices. OTOH if you buy an ICE, it won't be a Tesla :)

I also note the first line says 'Next 1203kwh'. What was the 'first' bunch of kwh costing you? It probably doesn't matter, since you'll always be in a later tier. Also, see if the power company has special rates for car charging.

Thanks for adding that comment about comparing it to an ICE vehicle! I think this is a good response for my contacts. Yup, they focus so much on this number but there is a lot more advantage with a Tesla! No plans on going back to ICE.

I did not add the first tier because that alone is consumed by the house. I also did not include other charges that we normally pay anyway. EV or not.

In case you're wondering... First 258 KWH @ $ .0827

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I seem to be losing my point on a recent back and forth with some FB friends regarding the cost advantage of an EV in our location.

Gas is the smallest of all the factors. Depreciation and interest are the biggest.

If you extend the car's usable life from 100-150k miles to 300-500k miles, then you've cut the car's cost in half, but in reality its much more complicated than that. You can do some jujitsu to make it appear 10-20k cheaper, but that's only when compared to a new ICE car.

The real question is, how can you afford the Tesla, or do you want a Tesla. Someone wants to save money, get an eBike or something.

chrstna4

Sep 3, 2020
Seattle
What seems to be the stumbling block in you getting point across? What is the argument/counter argument the FB friends are making?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
What seems to be the stumbling block in you getting point across? What is the argument/counter argument the FB friends are making?

Im not there, but there tend to be the same general arguments, in no specific order:

1. "you may not have to go to a gas station, but your electricity bill doubles / triples / quadruples, doesnt it?
2. "Doesnt it take forever to charge?
3. "What happens when I go on the 85 road trips a year I go on, and want to drive 7 hours without stopping. A plug in car cant do that"
4. How far does it go on a charge??? I can go 400-500 miles without filling up, and it only takes me 2.7 minutes to fill my car back up. for you, it will have to charge overnight"

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
1. Mine grows 30-50$ per month. In some areas that's a lot, in others not so much. You can easily calculate once you know your consumption in wh/mile.
2. It takes 10seconds most of the time (to plug). It charges while i sleep, what do i care.
3. I need to pee anyway. You're right, the car can't go 7 hours at highway speed without stopping. Most cars can't either.
4. Superchargers can give you what, a couple hundred miles in 20-25mins? I stop to pee, frab a snack and we're ready to go for the next leg.

You know, people that don't want to like evs will always find good arguments. Don't fret it, educate them

chrstna4

Sep 3, 2020
Seattle
People are rather ill-informed about the advances in EV. I doubt anyone drives the full mileage of a tank of gas without stopping to get more gas, eat, stretch, have a comfort break, etc. And you doing the math to show that per mile it’s the same or cheaper to drive EV (not to mention no oil changes or tune ups) is smart. Yes, the house electric bill goes up but I have no gasoline to buy. As far as charging, people don’t get the quickness of a supercharger (so most of their thoughts on charging are outdated or for other car brands) or the convenience of charging at home and not having to stop for gas during day-to-day life. People who drive EVs do have to alter the way they travel but most people report they enjoy their trips more than blasting through hours of travel as fast as they can. In the end, some people won’t get it or don’t want to get it - to each their own, I suppose. So many of those arguments will dissolve as Tesla batteries have higher capacity/longer range and there are more V3 chargers for traveling.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
People are rather ill-informed about the advances in EV. I doubt anyone drives the full mileage of a tank of gas without stopping to get more gas, eat, stretch, have a comfort break, etc. And you doing the math to show that per mile it’s the same or cheaper to drive EV (not to mention no oil changes or tune ups) is smart. Yes, the house electric bill goes up but I have no gasoline to buy. As far as charging, people don’t get the quickness of a supercharger (so most of their thoughts on charging are outdated or for other car brands) or the convenience of charging at home and not having to stop for gas during day-to-day life. People who drive EVs do have to alter the way they travel but most people report they enjoy their trips more than blasting through hours of travel as fast as they can. In the end, some people won’t get it or don’t want to get it - to each their own, I suppose. So many of those arguments will dissolve as Tesla batteries have higher capacity/longer range and there are more V3 chargers for traveling.

You dont have to convince me.... I was just talking about the standard arguments people make.

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Thanks for adding that comment about comparing it to an ICE vehicle! I think this is a good response for my contacts. Yup, they focus so much on this number but there is a lot more advantage with a Tesla! No plans on going back to ICE.

I did not add the first tier because that alone is consumed by the house. I also did not include other charges that we normally pay anyway. EV or not.

In case you're wondering... First 258 KWH @ $ .0827

Usually places with high electricity prices also have high gas prices. You have to take the miles you'll be driving a month, calculate the electricity usage and cost then compare with gas cost for that same mileage.

Everything taken in to account, it almost always is cheaper to run an EV than ICE vehicle. The you add in the other benefits of an EV.

https://teslanomics.co/tesla-model-3-fuel-savings-calculator/

https://teslanomics.co/tesla-monthly-charging-cost-calculator/

Islandcapture

Jun 14, 2020
Long Island, NY

I made a mistake of making a comparison based on per kWh I just pulled out from the internet and not based on my own actual numbers. But yes, they don't and will never understand to take to account the other factors besides electricity to gas ratio. My numbers does suggest it still cheaper than gas but not as much as I first implied. I want to use post this on my feed but not before confirming with fellow EV owners.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC