Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help! Autosteer Randomly Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3 in July with VIN # 40xxx. My car equips with EAP and FSD. After several weeks of driving, I am pretty much familiar with all of the car's functions and features. The car does not have any mechanical or cosmetic issues when delivered. But it had parking light warning, washer fluid low warning and vampire drain problems, which all were fixed via software updates.

One other issue I notice is with autosteer randomly unavailable. What I mean by autopilot unavailable, that means the autosteer icon, speed limit sign, cruise control icon, and lane markings are all disappeared from the screen. See attached image. If I double tap to engage autopilot, it would show "cruise not available". However, when autopilot is available, the system works great.

There are several times which I was driving on highway using Autopilot. All the sudden, the autopilot beeped and warned me to hold the steering wheel using both hands and the screen showed cruise not available. Then speed limit sign, cruise control icon and land marking disappeared for the rest of my trip. It really scared me. I think this may be a safety issue.

So I took my car to Sunnyvale service center last week. The technician sat with me for a test drive. We drove on residential streets and Highway 280. For the entire trip, autopilot was not available. So they took the car in and gave me a loaner. My car was at the service center for 12 days. They did a autosteer diagnostics and could not find any issue. The only issue they found was ECU power low and they updated the battery bootloader system. They also updated firmware from 26.3 to 28.5. They did a final test drive before the car was returned to me. But now I have the car for a few days, I am still facing the same issue. Should I bring my car to another service center? Does anyone experience similar problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 187
...safety issue...

Autopilot is a hands-on feature so even when the system suddenly acts up, my hand is there on the steering wheel to feel its incorrect torque to instantly correct it.

But I agree with you that you paid for the feature so you deserve to have it working. It's time to bring it in to fix it again although I don't know the causes.

Oh boy, now i'm having this problem. Just picked up my car on Thursday and after calibrating Autopilot on Friday, i was able to use it for a few drives yesterday and this morning. This afternoon, however, i got in and had EXACTLY the same situation as described by @kingbugca above.

This isn't a calibration problem since i was able to use autopilot very successfully before this happened (and it even seemed better than my old Model 3 for some reason...) and after calling Tesla support they aren't sure what's causing it.

My guess is on a loose connection or broken conductor somewhere that is causing intermittent connection loss, but that's a total guess. Super disappointing to pay $8K for EAP/FSD and not be able to use any of it...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Unfortunately I have the same issue, called service about it, have to give them a call back next week. Cruise control works fine, and eap will for awhile, but it will freak out and neither will work until car restart. Hopefully it will get figured out soon.

Nik

A couple of us who have dealt with this for weeks have reached the point where our computers are being replaced. Others have gotten cameras changed but it didn’t work. This is unlikely a bug issue. Unfortunately it’s now pointing to hardware...an important one at that.