Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help buying door handle part Tesla won’t sell to me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello community! I’m in need of your help to buy the infamous door handle “paddle gear” that consistently breaks on all of the older model s cars. My car is a rebuild and I’ve been fixing things myself so far I’ve replaced the drive motor and the dc-dc converter fuses as well as fixed 2 door handles. The third handle just broke and I’m in need of the paddle gear (1042845-00-B) from what I can tell Tesla sells them for 1$ or so but they won’t sell anything to those of us with rebuilt titles. If I could get your help in ordering 4 or more of these I would be in your debt! Ebay has them but for around 50$ which is quite the mark up!
I’m in Spokane so if your local Lunch is on me if not I’ll do whatever I can to show you my appreciation! Thanks in advance!

I’ve been trying to repair my broken paddle gear first using a washer and epoxy to try and get the gear back in position and then when that didn’t work i got the welder out and tried to weld the washer on, I’m a terrible welder and this is looking like it’s not gonna work, and I might go blind in the process. Haha. Seems like to much work for a part that is basically on the dollar menu. Lol. Please help.

7C6BA924-C154-47EE-9C00-95F26E8B7C1F.jpeg

1042845-00-B

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
It's not cheap, but in theory this should be the last paddle gear you should have to buy...

Tesla Model S Stainless Steel "Paddle Gear" Replacement for 1042845-00-A

It's machined steel and supposedly much stronger than the original.
I don't get why anyone would want these. The OEM paddle gears are designed to be the weakest link precisely because they are so cheap. I'd rather this gear break than the motor shaft.

Admittedly they could be better constructed but making them too strong is a mistake.

Reactions: whitex
This type of BS makes me crazy. I don't know how Tesla is ever going to turn the corner and become a Big Boy Car Company with this sort of ridiculous anti-consumer culture.
If they would simply open their parts catalog to anyone with a mark-up they could easily produce enough profit to actually staff their service departments and provide quality customer service after the sale. The amount of revenue streams Tesla could tap if they were smarter about actual business management is staggering. There is zero reason for stories like this or other customer service related stories from this company other than mismanagement.

If they would simply open their parts catalog to anyone with a mark-up they could easily produce enough profit to actually staff their service departments and provide quality customer service after the sale. The amount of revenue streams Tesla could tap if they were smarter about actual business management is staggering. There is zero reason for stories like this or other customer service related stories from this company other than mismanagement.
It's not like it's part of the nuclear fusion reactor in the 2035 Roadster Tartan quad-motor batteryless prototype.
It's a basic part, no more advanced than a lug nut.

Reactions: soarhead25
It's not like it's part of the nuclear fusion reactor in the 2035 Roadster Tartan quad-motor batteryless prototype.
It's a basic part, no more advanced than a lug nut.
Now that cars are coming off of warranty people will need parts. Just like other cars.

Rather than making parts ordering a mystery then can "disrupt the system" by allowing me to access a parts list in my Tesla app, see a picture, part number & description of a part I need and allow me to click "delivery" or "pick-up" and specify the service center to acquire parts w/o needing to talk to a human. Now THAT would be something I personally would actually enjoy now having to speak to a human being to do. These little paddle gears, for instance, cost them less than a buck. They charge $5 each or whatever plus shipping or free pick-up and make $4 on each one.

$4 doesn't sound like much but 500% profit multiplied by 4 across however many Model S owners exist in the world with failing door handles isn't an insignificant amount. Now extrapolate that over ALL parts of these cars and you have recipe for a solid revenue stream that is easily sustainable and they can revolutionize yet another industry to disrupt the car industry.

Now that cars are coming off of warranty people will need parts. Just like other cars.

Rather than making parts ordering a mystery then can "disrupt the system" by allowing me to access a parts list in my Tesla app, see a picture, part number & description of a part I need and allow me to click "delivery" or "pick-up" and specify the service center to acquire parts w/o needing to talk to a human. Now THAT would be something I personally would actually enjoy now having to speak to a human being to do. These little paddle gears, for instance, cost them less than a buck. They charge $5 each or whatever plus shipping or free pick-up and make $4 on each one.

$4 doesn't sound like much but 500% profit multiplied by 4 across however many Model S owners exist in the world with failing door handles isn't an insignificant amount. Now extrapolate that over ALL parts of these cars and you have recipe for a solid revenue stream that is easily sustainable and they can revolutionize yet another industry to disrupt the car industry.

Now you're just encouraging them to make more parts that fail....;)

Now you're just encouraging them to make more parts that fail....;)
Too bad they'd cost themselves dearly replacing crap parts under warranty. It wouldn't be long before the aftermarket caught up if OEM parts are junk since it wouldn't be hard to match or beat longevity.

TBH I'm not sure why aftermarket companies aren't scrambling to produce their own parts to sell freely. The only thing preventing them is probably volume and the fact that most Tesla owners would rather pay more for inferior parts that said "Tesla' on them. The more cars Tesla sells though the large that untapped pool becomes. It's only a matter of time...

I just get parts at the local SC on a walk-in basis. Wiring/sensor harness for the door handle, nuts for that panel. Out-of-warranty S.
...Maybe it's different here?

Are you providing them with any contact info or other verification you own a car? That’s the rub. They generally won’t sell to people unless you can prove you own a valid (non-salvage) VIN.

Are you providing them with any contact info or other verification you own a car? That’s the rub. They generally won’t sell to people unless you can prove you own a valid (non-salvage) VIN.
Yeah, which is silly in my opinion. If you sell me parts why does it matter if I use them on a good car a bad car or throw them in the garbage, why do they care its all money in their pocket so why have a policy that makes you loose money?

I’m a legitimate owner and the local service center still refused. Said it was discontinued. A few weeks later, handle goes bad, ranger comes out and puts one in. Guess they started making them again...:eek:

doesn’t make sense. I’ll fated effort to control access to parts at all levels.

Tesla is too busy disrupting themselves to know any better.

• Funny
Reactions: thenaimis
from what I can tell Tesla sells them for 1$ or so but they won’t sell anything to those of us with rebuilt titles.

Says who? Their own policy as of September of 2018 states otherwise:
"Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a Salvage-Titled Vehicle."
http://ingineerix.com/pic/?tesla-uvp1
(the paddle gear is not a restricted part)
*edit* here’s a pic of my order and receipt of parts, and this was for a salvage vin car (Tesla knew it was salvage): Tesla paddle gears...

Last edited:
Says who? Their own policy as of September of 2018 states otherwise:
"Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a Salvage-Titled Vehicle."
http://ingineerix.com/pic/?tesla-uvp1
(the paddle gear is not a restricted part)
*edit* here’s a pic of my order and receipt of parts, and this was for a salvage vin car (Tesla knew it was salvage): Tesla paddle gears...
Wow good to know I’ve tried with parts in the past to no avail. I’ll give it another try.