Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help clarifying the 7 day pick up window.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was in search of a sleeper Model 3 and my agent was able to match me to one that is already in the city. I told her that I would be leaving for vacation until the 19th and wont be able to pick it up before then. She informed me that they are only able to hold it up to 7 days before releasing the vin to someone else. Still, I went ahead and asked her to place the order for me and she put in the notes to the delivery department to wait until the 19th.

Today, I checked online and it shows this:
"
Delivery Appointment at Alpharetta-Roswell
Nov. 19, 2019 at 04:00 PM"

I haven't received a text or anything to confirm this date with me and it just populated online.
Is this date accurate? Does the 7 day pickup window start from that day until they release it to someone else? I tried to find more info online about needing to pick it up in a certain time frame but wasn't able to find any info on the forum. Thanks

You should plan to pick it up on that day, especially since you are asking for a "popular, limited availability" version of the car. You run the very real risk that if you cant pick it up that day, they assign it to someone else. They will not have time for shuffling around pickups etc as they get into the end of year crunch.

Yeah its not mercedes / porsche / lexus / BMW, where you basically dictate all the stuff you want. If you really want that car, especially that version of the car, you do not want to be trying to move stuff with tesla around. It might work, might not, but on a limited availability version of the car, you really should pick it up when they have it scheduled for you, and not change anything.

Thats my advice anyway, to prevent you from coming back here and posting "tesla gave away my car and I cant get another one!!!!!".

Reactions: ry-ballz
You should plan to pick it up on that day, especially since you are asking for a "popular, limited availability" version of the car. You run the very real risk that if you cant pick it up that day, they assign it to someone else. They will not have time for shuffling around pickups etc as they get into the end of year crunch.

Yeah its not mercedes / porsche / lexus / BMW, where you basically dictate all the stuff you want. If you really want that car, especially that version of the car, you do not want to be trying to move stuff with tesla around. It might work, might not, but on a limited availability version of the car, you really should pick it up when they have it scheduled for you, and not change anything.

Thats my advice anyway, to prevent you from coming back here and posting "tesla gave away my car and I cant get another one!!!!!".

Gotcha, I shall prepare everything to pick it up that day then! Has there been stories where tesla gave away the car to someone even when tehy didnt try to reschedule? Should I start the insurance for that vin they matched me with now as well?

Gotcha, I shall prepare everything to pick it up that day then! Has there been stories where tesla gave away the car to someone even when tehy didnt try to reschedule? Should I start the insurance for that vin they matched me with now as well?

In my state, and for my insurance policy, I get 10 days after pickup of the new car to add it to my policy so I did not do that ahead of time. I dont know what it is in your state and on your policy. I would check in with your insurance company and ask something like:

"How long in advance do I have to add a car to my policy to get an insurance card with the car showing on my policy?" I wouldnt add it till I absolutely had to, to have insurance on it. Things with tesla tend to be fluid, and the best advice I can give on that is just be prepared to "roll with it".

In my state, and for my insurance policy, I get 10 days after pickup of the new car to add it to my policy so I did not do that ahead of time. I dont know what it is in your state and on your policy. I would check in with your insurance company and ask something like:

"How long in advance do I have to add a car to my policy to get an insurance card with the car showing on my policy?" I wouldnt add it till I absolutely had to, to have insurance on it. Things with tesla tend to be fluid, and the best advice I can give on that is just be prepared to "roll with it".
My insurance company has the same policy, but Tesla told me they would not release the car until I have a policy showing the vin number is insured. It could be a Tesla requirement for Texas.

My insurance company has the same policy, but Tesla told me they would not release the car until I have a policy showing the vin number is insured. It could be a Tesla requirement for Texas.

Could be.. one of the issues with people in texas purchasing teslas is, since tesla can not legally sell a car in texas due to the state laws protecting car dealers, you have to pay for the car first. The insurance requirements could be because of the fact you have to actually own the car first and they are just delivering it to you.

Is there any flexibility in days and times? I work in a hospital and can't just take off at a moment's notice. I'm afraid i won't be able to got my car because they'll say you have to get it between 9 and 4 in like a day and I'll be totally screwed!

Thanks!! I was seriously stressing out about this!!

the key phrase is “within the delivery window”

If you’re away for a week and that’s the 3 day delivery window, you just lost your car

it’s not that accommodating. Most people have work schedules and family obligations. The centers are typically far from your home. Getting a 3 day shot clock dropped on you (witH many false starts beforehand —-“the delivery truck got delayed! Your new delivery date is another day now”) is not the easiest to fit in

mine was almost impossible to account for. I changed work schedules with people 3 times because I got multiple false delivery dates scheduled and confirmed. My coworkers wanted to kill me. On the 2nd falar delivery date, I got told I had a week. When it finally came in they said “oh by the way it’s here now, you have three days sorry”. They were utterly remorseless and emotionless about it

the key phrase is “within the delivery window”

If you’re away for a week and that’s the 3 day delivery window, you just lost your car

it’s not that accommodating. Most people have work schedules and family obligations. The centers are typically far from your home. Getting a 3 day shot clock dropped on you (witH many false starts beforehand —-“the delivery truck got delayed! Your new delivery date is another day now”) is not the easiest to fit in

mine was almost impossible to account for. I changed work schedules with people 3 times because I got multiple false delivery dates scheduled and confirmed. My coworkers wanted to kill me. On the 2nd falar delivery date, I got told I had a week. When it finally came in they said “oh by the way it’s here now, you have three days sorry”. They were utterly remorseless and emotionless about it
Is it really 3 days not 7 days now?