Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help cleaning front window (streaks impossible to remove)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Maybe chalk this up to my OCD level, but I am unable to get the streaks off of my front (actually any) window. Someone out there has to know how to get this done, please help!

First of all, the window looks absolutely spotless from both the inside and outside. Until you get to a location where the sun is on the horizon (dawn / dusk) and then you see that the entire window is covered in small streaks. Tried several "window cleaners" to no effect. Tried distilled water initially, wipe it off with a micro-fiber cloth, then repeat 2x with clean distilled water and a fresh micro-fiber cloth each time. Nope, streaks still there. Tried same 3x procedure with distilled water and a 10% vinegar solution, nope, streaks still there. Please help me get my windows clean ! ! !

Those wishing to provide actual help versus mere forum advice are welcome to PM me to apply for a full time position cleaning my Model 3 windows once a week, please include full resume... :p

RT

Steel Wool #0000 fine will remove most crud that is on the window. It will feel smooth. Then I use Optimum No Rinse followed by a ceramic coating like Gyeon Cure (a top coating with excellent hydrophobic properties). My windows are streak free and water flies off.

Reactions: PoitNarf
The windows on my M3 had this terrible film I just couldn't remove. I remembered a conversation I had with a tint installer years ago, and I said how do you get the windows perfectly clean to install the window tint. He stated that he uses Dawn dish soap on the windows. About two weeks ago I put a couple of drops of dawn on a damp microfiber towel and cleaned my windows, and they turned out perfect.

Be aware that the solar heat blocking treatment in the glass will show up as imperfections when sunlight hits it from certain angles -- i don't know if that is what you are seeing. I tried lots of treatments, but not a lot of help. I finally just convinced myself that it just meant the heat was being blocked, so be happy.