Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding: 2016 MS 70 or 2020 M3 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm first time Tesla buyer. I need help deciding between a 2016 Model S 70 and a 2020 Model 3 SR+.

Here's some information for context:
  • Both vehicles would be purchased from a private seller.
  • Both vehicles have a clean Car Fax and only one owner.
  • Both vehicles have about the same mileage (20K-30K). I know ... low mileage on the 2016 Model S 70.
  • The 2020 Model 3 SR+ would be about $3,500 cheaper.
  • I commute about 40 miles to work every day roundtrip.
  • I have no kids or pets.
I'm very indecisive and would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks!

My Dad had 2 first gen Model S's and upgraded to a 2020 Model 3.

You will be much happier with the 2020 Model 3 opposed to a 2016 Model S. Trust me. Cheaper and better.

The S is much larger than the 3, and a hatchback. For me, those were the factors that led me to my S, ymmv.

Much larger isn't necessarily a good thing. Model 3 has way too much space for me and the Model S has way way too much space for me.

Model S also feels/drives like a boat while Model 3 feels light/tight and sporty 🙂

There are major differences in charging speed that will become immediately apparent if you take road trips or if you don’t have access to home charging. If this is truly just a commuter car that you charge overnight at home, it won’t matter one way or the other.

Hello everyone,

I'm first time Tesla buyer. I need help deciding between a 2016 Model S 70 and a 2020 Model 3 SR+.

Here's some information for context:
  • Both vehicles would be purchased from a private seller.
  • Both vehicles have a clean Car Fax and only one owner.
  • Both vehicles have about the same mileage (20K-30K). I know ... low mileage on the 2016 Model S 70.
  • The 2020 Model 3 SR+ would be about $3,500 cheaper.
  • I commute about 40 miles to work every day roundtrip.
  • I have no kids or pets.
I'm very indecisive and would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks!
Why not get a brand new Model 3?

If you've not driven both a Model s and a Model 3, then I think you should. They are two different cars.

Model S more a touring sedan. Larger, functionality of the hatchback, two screens, smoother ride.

Model 3 more a small performance sedan. Smaller overall size factor, conventional trunk vs. hatchback, more nimble/responsive handling, but with more noticeable road input (you'll feel bumps more).

Some will prefer the smoother ride, larger size of the MS. Some prefer to more sporty, nimble handling of the Model 3 and/or prefer the smaller overall size.

Neither by itself is the correct choice. Really comes down to what your personal preferences are for a vehicle.

Why not get a brand new Model 3?
I'm open to a brand new Model 3. But ultimately the 2020 Model 3 will be much cheaper. Since I'm buying from a private seller, there's no sales tax and fees. Also, the cost of registering electric vehicles will increase significantly in Arizona starting on January 1st, 2022. If I buy a new Model 3, it won't be ready until 2022, which means I would have to pay the higher registration cost.

If you've not driven both a Model s and a Model 3, then I think you should. They are two different cars.

Model S more a touring sedan. Larger, functionality of the hatchback, two screens, smoother ride.

Model 3 more a small performance sedan. Smaller overall size factor, conventional trunk vs. hatchback, more nimble/responsive handling, but with more noticeable road input (you'll feel bumps more).

Some will prefer the smoother ride, larger size of the MS. Some prefer to more sporty, nimble handling of the Model 3 and/or prefer the smaller overall size.

Neither by itself is the correct choice. Really comes down to what your personal preferences are for a vehicle.
I have driven both.

I like the look (inside and outside of the Model S). The Model S also feels more luxurious.

The Model 3 is certainly more fun to drive and seems to be the more economical choice.

Tough decision. I know I can't go wrong though.

I don't remember when they went to ap2.
AP2 was introduced mid-October 2016.

2016 has what are really three main divisions of the Model S.
cars produced up to about the first of May are the original black oval, what some call 'classic', front end. It also has what is known as the yacht floor center console which is more an open tray between the front seats.

May through mid-Oct 2016 was the first 'refresh' with what most now think of as the new front end (not to be confused with the further updates for the recent Plaid type of models). These are still AP1, but have the center console between the front seats. Some will have cup holders and USB ports in the back seat, but these were introduced at various points in July to August.

Mid-Oct 2016 through the end of the year is the 'refresh' version but now with AP2 8-camera system, but still with AP1. While these are capable of being updated to latest FSD computer and functionality, the cameras are a lower quality image than newer AP2.5 or AP3 introduced in following years.

So when you say a 2016 Model S, that can mean a wide range of configurations.

AP2 was introduced mid-October 2016.

2016 has what are really three main divisions of the Model S.
cars produced up to about the first of May are the original black oval, what some call 'classic', front end. It also has what is known as the yacht floor center console which is more an open tray between the front seats.

May through mid-Oct 2016 was the first 'refresh' with what most now think of as the new front end (not to be confused with the further updates for the recent Plaid type of models). These are still AP1, but have the center console between the front seats. Some will have cup holders and USB ports in the back seat, but these were introduced at various points in July to August.

Mid-Oct 2016 through the end of the year is the 'refresh' version but now with AP2 8-camera system, but still with AP1. While these are capable of being updated to latest FSD computer and functionality, the cameras are a lower quality image than newer AP2.5 or AP3 introduced in following years.

So when you say a 2016 Model S, that can mean a wide range of configurations.
Thanks for the info.

The 2016 Model S 70 I'm looking at is the first one you described with the original black oval front end. Knowing that, do you recommend the 2016 Model S 70 or the 2020 Model 3 SR+?

Mine is also with that nosecone so it’s the last end of old classic front. If the AP is activated (app $3k to pay) it’s plenty of car to drive with, and it all comes to you personal requirements whether you need large spacious car or you can live with the smaller version of it. My need was large hatchback tailgate and there was no used Model 3 around when I made my purchase and ordering new was too long wait time Of course I had also remaining warranty, which has now ended.

Mine is also with that nosecone so it’s the last end of old classic front. If the AP is activated (app $3k to pay) it’s plenty of car to drive with, and it all comes to you personal requirements whether you need large spacious car or you can live with the smaller version of it. My need was large hatchback tailgate and there was no used Model 3 around when I made my purchase and ordering new was too long wait time Of course I had also remaining warranty, which has now ended.
Thanks KalJoMoS!

Any reliability issues with your Model S? The 2016 Model S 70 I'm looking at no longer has an active warranty.

Thanks KalJoMoS!

Any reliability issues with your Model S? The 2016 Model S 70 I'm looking at no longer has an active warranty.
You will definitely want to have warranty. I bought 2016 S last year and have one year warranty for bumper to bumper and have used it at least 5 times already for various things that were bad at in the car. Go with 3 you won’t regret!

Thanks KalJoMoS!

My items needed to attend before warranty ended:
-both side rear view mirrors (one failed with photochromic feature, another had weird movement if folded)
-charge port change (had some issues with UMC not unlocking some occasions, which turned out not been the issue) - managed to get motorised port from manual
-drivers side door rubber change (actually passenger side had similar holes to come on one corner, but they said no)
-some few roof side panels adjustments (as I have sunroof) to re-glue rubber seals to be as needed
-LH rear door handle
Items that I have attended out of warranty:
-charge port door (they are different parts) attached to rear lens, changed at home myself as of pandemic restriction
-CCS retrofit (available for EU market)
-annual change of filters and brake check
-extra set of winter tires and rims
-wheel alignment 1x

Car has around 60k on odometer, degradations is low as it’s v3 battery back, I drive annually app. 10k miles, I’m second owner, very satisfied so far. Of course battery and drivetrain warranty still active.

Last edited:
The lack of an instrument cluster on the model 3 is why I prefer my older model s as my primary vehicle. Just feels weird to see a dash.

Model S drives like a luxury sedan; the handling is much different.

However, you should just go with the Model 3 because its your first Tesla. A low mileage Model S probably means there's a bunch of things that need to be swapped out to later gen that don't break as often (eg. door handles).

Reactions: WhiteWi