Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between P3D or new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned an LRAWD Model 3 and now a Model 3 Performance.

I have not driven a Model S newer than a 90D. Not driven the raven cars, in other words. I also drive a lot. Minimum of 95 miles a day. Sometimes up to 160. And for some projects, about 450 round trip (same day).

I would definitely hold off and drive a new Model S if you can wait.

Do you fit in a Model S? I'm 6'2" and I don't. (By the way if you're a Model S owner and you're 6'2" or taller and fit, I'm glad for you. The way I'm built, I just don't fit in an S comfortably. So please, don't feel the need to tell me I'm wrong. I'm not wrong. We're just both right).

The S is certainly larger and less connected feeling. But that was the old car. Raven suspension supposedly better, and the new wheel (yoke?) is smaller steering should be different. Plus suspension tuning can make a huge difference. The air suspension will make up for the 3's biggest issue, which is a very choppy ride. On rough or concrete roads, the 3 has a notable bounce to it. It's not particularly pleasant. Can be solved with aftermarket suspension.

My biggest gripe about the S was that the interior no longer felt it's price. I'd be willing to bet that a LRAWD Model S with the new interior now would feel like an $80k plus options car. New door cards, new dash, new seats, new materials can make a huge difference. My other gripe was the batteries and charging but with new cell chemistry and cooling that supposedly should be resolved.

I really enjoy the S's interface more having the second display. The things you can do with the scroll wheels in the small display are VERY handy, IMO. Having the nav and the larger energy meter right in front of you is excellent. And that leaves more room on the main display for the map and infotainment. I bet that it really is a killer looking interior now that it's gone to a landscape style screen like the 3. But larger and not having to devote real estate to the driving visualizations. Best of both worlds, IMO.

The 3's seats lack side support. Even the gentlest turns will have you bracing against the door or the center console. Even the older S's seats (except the first gen) are much better in this regard.

The S's hatch is much more practical and it's frunk is bigger. I know it's the two of you but it's a more versatile car.

All in all, if I were back in the market again, I'd see if the new seats allowed me to fit in the S better and give it a strong look. I've not been a big fan of the S recently as I felt the batteries and the interior were lagging. I think that this update has helped it.

Wait and see if you can see one in person.