Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one needs the Performance version, but I got one since I test drove one and didn't want to be disappointed later with the LR version. Also, there is something about knowing you are one of the fastest cars on the road, you just need to watch out for the P100D. The Performance 3 has been described as "uncomfortably fast" by people that I have driven in it and if that is something you want, you don't have a choice. If its just a mode of transportation, then the P3D+ is not really needed.

'need' is pretty subjective 'cause outside food, water and shelter.. well you get the gist... but I did need to trade in my Jan 2018 RWD LR for my August 2018 Stealth Performance...

I disagree with those claiming it's "uncomfortable fast" - anything is too fast or slow depending on the driver's experience and comfort level, road conditions etc. Don't be a moron behind the wheel no matter how fast or slow you're going..

Try a Performance and see if you 'need' one, and I agree with a couple who suggested finding a Performance w/o 20" rims if your roads are less than great.. I'm very pleased with mine.

This question has been post many time over. Basically if you can afford it then do it. Otherwise dual motor non p is fast and saves you 10k. 10k is a lot of $$.
It is still a $10K gap between D and P? I thought it was less than that now?

If it is $10K, and you can still get the PD- option by phoning in, then you can aftermarket an effectively mechanically better vehicle for less $. Then only thing you'll be missing is the 6 piston vs 4 piston calipers, and given the quality of the Model 3's stock calipers that's not really much of thing (and you'd likely be replacing gear on the P, too, if you care that much). On the matter of subjective "looks", the aftermarket rim options to suit your particular visual tastes are legion. For an $10k-$2K = $8K price difference you can even throw in a lot better spoiler package (front and rear), well better mechanically at least. There are a couple esthetic choices, I know, too.

The Performance Package is completely superfluous to me. Given a choice, I'd actually prefer e.g. the 18/19" wheels over the 19".

The Base Performance (as the P3D- is called locally) is also just academic, as the difference to LR-AWD is only a boost of the motor output at the low rev range.

HOWEVER, local inventory prices the Base Performance identically to the LR-AWD, so I'm waiting to be matched to one, because that difference will show up as positive non-zero value when it comes to resale time.

The Base Performance (as the P3D- is called locally) is also just academic, as the difference to LR-AWD is only a boost of the motor output at the low rev range.
1) Track Mode is something else well past that (and my understanding from people that have a P, need not be limited to a "track").
2) The extra noticeable jump is there for basically all your road driving, save for if driving above posted limit on 75 limit interstates and when you are entirely boxed in without the option to lane change/pass. Whether you want to use that or not can be in question but it is there for you to use if so inclined during nearly all your driving.

I'm still hoping to see Tesla cash hungry enough near the end of a quarter to offer me the [limited time, no doubt] option to unlock mine for something like $2K-$3K. It would make for a great Christmas present, I'd think. :)

Last edited:
In your shoes, I'd see if I can get the third option - the P3D-. Tesla has at various points sold a version that's in between the Performance and LRAWD - performance motors, but the LR suspension/brakes/wheels. Sometimes it's a menu option in some countries (Performance car without the "performance upgrade option package,") and sometimes it's available as an "off menu" option if you talk to Tesla folks in person.

It doesn't have quite the ultimate performance of the Performance model on the track, but it gives you the efficiency and pothole survival and ride comfort of the AWD with ~90% of the fun of the Performance model.
In your shoes, I'd see if I can get the third option - the P3D-. Tesla has at various points sold a version that's in between the Performance and LRAWD - performance motors, but the LR suspension/brakes/wheels. Sometimes it's a menu option in some countries (Performance car without the "performance upgrade option package,") and sometimes it's available as an "off menu" option if you talk to Tesla folks in person.

It doesn't have quite the ultimate performance of the Performance model on the track, but it gives you the efficiency and pothole survival and ride comfort of the AWD with ~90% of the fun of the Performance model.

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with Saghost; if you have the ability to purchase the P3D- (Stealth), that is the best of both worlds. I guess I have a unique perspective in as much as I owned at LR AWD and was able to return it within the 7 day refund period. I upgraded to a P3D- for less than $3K more. I believe it was one of the last two that were available at the time in Canada (August 2019). Regardless, whatever you decide, you will not regret your decision. Good luck.

Aloha,

I’ll be ordering a model 3 soon and am really leaning towards the performance model. However, I’m moving to Connecticut and am curious whether the 20” wheels and lowered suspension would be a problem.

I’m open to getting another set of wheels/tires for snow/ice, but will I absolutely need these if I’m a casual driver? I work from home and don’t have to leave the house if I don’t need to.

Not sure if location in CT matters, but it’s Darien.

I don’t “need” the performance model... just really want it. If they still offered the sleeper model I’d get that.

Mahalo in advance!

I came from a 2015 P85D with Insane mode. That car was stupid fast and it wasn't even the fastest Model S by a wide margin. I currently have a RWD LR Model 3 which is slower than the AWD car you'd be getting and I find the speed of even the RWD car to be a lot of fun. It's faster than pretty much anything else at the stoplight. The AWD car is even faster than that. I think the AWD non-performance car is a good compromise. I believe the P3D guys also don't get as much range as the non-P guys do.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I don't know what what is the stock tire on the performance. Being on the coast it is hit or miss with snow. I have been thru there in the winter where that area got triple the amount of snow that i get. I am about 60 miles from that area.

If you don't need to go out and can wait for them to clear the roads then I would say no you don't need snows. If your comfortable driving in snow with all seasons then I would say no. I just got my Model 3 a couple of weeks ago and I am going to see how the car is in snow before getting snows. I work from home, but my wife may take the car if it snows. The last few cars I have had I did not put snows on and had no problem, but that depends on the tire and what factors you way when buying them. We had to put snows on my wife's Elantra because the stock tires just spun.

How soon you moving to CT? You may be better off waiting to order till your north. The site says 8-10 weeks.

I was back and forth on Performance and LR and ended up going LR. The car is fast. I looked at from, how much would I take it to the track, cost of tires and also the 20's have a better chance of getting cracked with the roads up here. Pothole season is all year up here.

Naples eh? Hello neighbor! I would get the long-range since you don't really NEED the performance. The 20s will most likely have issues in new england winters.

P.S. Why move from Naples to CT?!

Actually I’m on Maui, but our main house is in Naples. Love Naples and will move back in a few years. Of course I don’t “need” the performance model, but I’m wondering if I’ll regret it. Logically, the LR AWD is an awesome car that I’ll absolutely love. Will I get performance envy though? I don’t know... ;)

I don't know what what is the stock tire on the performance. Being on the coast it is hit or miss with snow. I have been thru there in the winter where that area got triple the amount of snow that i get. I am about 60 miles from that area.

If you don't need to go out and can wait for them to clear the roads then I would say no you don't need snows. If your comfortable driving in snow with all seasons then I would say no. I just got my Model 3 a couple of weeks ago and I am going to see how the car is in snow before getting snows. I work from home, but my wife may take the car if it snows. The last few cars I have had I did not put snows on and had no problem, but that depends on the tire and what factors you way when buying them. We had to put snows on my wife's Elantra because the stock tires just spun.

How soon you moving to CT? You may be better off waiting to order till your north. The site says 8-10 weeks.

I was back and forth on Performance and LR and ended up going LR. The car is fast. I looked at from, how much would I take it to the track, cost of tires and also the 20's have a better chance of getting cracked with the roads up here. Pothole season is all year up here.

I won’t be ordering until we move off Maui, but I will be ordering from south Florida, then drive up to CT (residence is FL). I’m hoping I don’t need snow tires, but am prepared to get a set of wheels/tires if I feel it’s too unsafe to drive otherwise. I’m a warm weather girl, with zero experience driving during a real winter.

I am worried about the 20” wheels, and lowered suspension and CT potholes. How fragile are those 20” wheels?

The lowly LR AWD will kick the butt of just about any other car on the road. If you didn't know the performance existed, you'd be obnoxiously happy with the LR.

Save some money.

Naples to CT? My condolences, Wrong time of year to do that. Honestly, roads are roads in most all states, CT just gets more snow.

If I was staying in Naples the performance would be a no-brainer. This will be a new life experience, lol.

Aloha,

I’ll be ordering a model 3 soon and am really leaning towards the performance model. However, I’m moving to Connecticut and am curious whether the 20” wheels and lowered suspension would be a problem.

I’m open to getting another set of wheels/tires for snow/ice, but will I absolutely need these if I’m a casual driver? I work from home and don’t have to leave the house if I don’t need to.

Not sure if location in CT matters, but it’s Darien.

I don’t “need” the performance model... just really want it. If they still offered the sleeper model I’d get that.

Mahalo in advance!

My advice is to get the long range. Do not underestimate how cold weather affects EVs. Unless you've driven one then it's probably worse than you think and you'll need as much range as you can get. The LR AWD will put you back in the seat and blow every other car on the road away except only the very highest end ICE cars and other Teslas. Range...range....range. Especially in cold climates.

I live in Switzerland and drive in snow and the alps all the time. I have after market 20’s (Brixton RF7’s) fitted with Michelin Pilot Alipin PA4’s. Dry, wet, snow, etc and these tires are great. The main issue is with the cars height if you are driving through a big dump of snow without cleared roads. With my front lip I’d become the snowplow.

My advice is to get the long range. Do not underestimate how cold weather affects EVs. Unless you've driven one then it's probably worse than you think and you'll need as much range as you can get. The LR AWD will put you back in the seat and blow every other car on the road away except only the very highest end ICE cars and other Teslas. Range...range....range. Especially in cold climates.

That’s great advice! I don’t drive much though, as we have an ICE SUV if needed. I’m assuming winter will halve my range, right?