Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won’t be ordering until we move off Maui, but I will be ordering from south Florida, then drive up to CT (residence is FL). I’m hoping I don’t need snow tires, but am prepared to get a set of wheels/tires if I feel it’s too unsafe to drive otherwise. I’m a warm weather girl, with zero experience driving during a real winter.

I am worried about the 20” wheels, and lowered suspension and CT potholes. How fragile are those 20” wheels?

20 inch wheels -- check you'll see the distance from wheel to tire is less, v.s. 18 inch wheels , theres more, I would say cushion for pot holes and bumps in the road. If not worried with that, then go for looks with 20 inch.

Actually I’m on Maui, but our main house is in Naples. Love Naples and will move back in a few years. Of course I don’t “need” the performance model, but I’m wondering if I’ll regret it. Logically, the LR AWD is an awesome car that I’ll absolutely love. Will I get performance envy though? I don’t know... ;)
I got the LR AWD and I live in Baltimore. The winter here is better than yours but we get several days that never get above freezing, nights that get in 20s easily, and fair amount of snow and freezing rain. I REGRET not getting the P. I cheaped out and decided I would not pay for winter tires and/or 19"/18's with all season tires (I can work from home during bad weather, too). I just got the windows tinted, PPF, and ceramic. I had your same dilemma for the two weeks prior to ordering. If I had to this all over again, I would get the P, skip the upgrades/mods, fork over cash for all-seasons, and keep the 20s until I bent one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elle_H2
If you’re even contemplating...buy the performance.

I had every intention of buying a LR RWD...Tesla didn’t want to sell those when I ordered, so I jumped on the performance. (It was a great excuse to just buy the best one). I haven’t regretted that decision once. I’d have liked a stealth, they started selling those 2 weeks after my delivery. The red brakes are cool, eventually I will swap the 20’s with something else. Likey when it needs tires.

I find my LR AWD has just enough power that any more would result in tires just spinning for anything but a straight line.

I've had plenty of opportunities for spirited driving and even with the OEM 19" tires & rims, haven't spun a tire yet - maybe on slippery conditions?

Lots of people with pretty strong opinions here, best bet is take both out and see what you think.

I will agree, though, with the folks who suggest Stealth Performance (not 20" rims/tires and bigger brakes). That's what I have and it's a perfect combo for me - very quick, haven't bent a rim yet, even enjoyed a track day at Laguna Seca.

Knowing that a track day was/will be a rare event and sticking to the smaller rims saved me $$ so I easily afforded some upgrade brakes as added insurance and in the end, I like how they look too..

Good luck, all of them are much more fun that most ICE cars anyways...

What tires come on the 19” sport wheels available for the LR AWD? Are they all season?
Continentals or Hankook. However, the 18" are not all season. I doubt the 19" are either as they list Pirrelli Winter tires. I, too, am in CT and I put what is, arguably, the best Winter tires, Nokian Hakka 3s. I switch them in late Dec and back in April. You can get a pdf version of the owner's manual on the web. There may be serveral versions but as far as tires go, that section should be identical. In CT or anywhere there is snow or ice or potholes you don't want the 19" low mass. One pothole and you have a very bad day ahead of you.

Last edited:
Continentals or Hankook. However, the 18" are not all season. I doubt the 19" are either

The from-the-factory-on-the-car ones? Yes, they are.

Michelin MXM4 all seasons on the 18s, Continental all seasons on the 19s

Only the P 20s come with summer tires.

None of em (in the US anyway) come with winter tires (though Tesla sells an additional wheel/tire winter package in the store).

I got the LR AWD and I live in Baltimore. The winter here is better than yours but we get several days that never get above freezing, nights that get in 20s easily, and fair amount of snow and freezing rain. I REGRET not getting the P. I cheaped out and decided I would not pay for winter tires and/or 19"/18's with all season tires (I can work from home during bad weather, too). I just got the windows tinted, PPF, and ceramic. I had your same dilemma for the two weeks prior to ordering. If I had to this all over again, I would get the P, skip the upgrades/mods, fork over cash for all-seasons, and keep the 20s until I bent one.

That’s a brilliant idea! Get the P, put on all seasons, and keep the 20”s until they get damaged... then replace them with something more functional, like 19”. I’m still going to look for a stealth model... but I like this idea.

Reactions: Torque Monster
Hi all,

I've got a Performance Model 3 on order which is due to be delivered in the next few weeks. However, as I've been patiently waiting, I've done a lot of research and the Long Range version is looking very appealing.

The challenge where I live (Melbourne, Australia) is that Tesla only has the Performance Model 3s to test drive. So I drove that and it was great, but I would really like to compare it against the Long Range to make a more informed choice. So I thought I would post the question here and see what everyone thinks.

From my point of view the pros and cons are:
Performance:
  • super fast acceleration (fun, but how often will I actually use this?
  • large 20" wheels (these look good, but limit tyre choices and can easily get damaged with potholes, they are also heavier)
  • track mode (is there any use for this about from on a race track?)
  • larger brakes (I probably don't need these for the type of driving I'll be doing)
Long Range:
  • fast acceleration (I don't actually know as I haven't driven it? Is it good enough for running around town and the occasional blast?)
  • 18" wheels (more versatile tyre choices and Aero covers can be taken on and off)
  • longer range (less time between charges?)
  • same premium interior
  • about $10K (AUD) less than Performance
  • AWD (same as Performance)
Anyway, really interested to see what the Tesla community thinks...

I too am waiting for my Model 3 in Australia. Fortunately I have a Long Range AWD in Europe so have had five months and more than 12,000 km of road trips to assess the car. Personally the Dual Motor has all the poke I'd ever need in a car and the range is adequate for touring around Europe where superchargers are conveniently placed. We did rely on a few destination chargers in the wilder parts of Spain, but a bit of planning has made all our journeys trouble free.
With the max speed in Aus being 110 kmh the Performance seems to be a rev-head toy rather than a sensible option. Fine if you drive on a race track most of the time but totally unnecessary for the average driver.

I use the instant acceleration of my Performance every time I drive. The immediate power on tap gives me confidence when passing and merging. It is intoxicating.

Did you replace the tires (and wheels) for winter driving? Have you damaged the 20” at all from potholes?

I’m moving to CT and would love to order the performance model but am concerned about the wheels/tires. Ideally would love the stealth, but they don’t seem to be offering that now.

Hi all,

I've got a Performance Model 3 on order which is due to be delivered in the next few weeks. However, as I've been patiently waiting, I've done a lot of research and the Long Range version is looking very appealing.

The challenge where I live (Melbourne, Australia) is that Tesla only has the Performance Model 3s to test drive. So I drove that and it was great, but I would really like to compare it against the Long Range to make a more informed choice. So I thought I would post the question here and see what everyone thinks.

From my point of view the pros and cons are:
Performance:
  • super fast acceleration (fun, but how often will I actually use this?
  • large 20" wheels (these look good, but limit tyre choices and can easily get damaged with potholes, they are also heavier)
  • track mode (is there any use for this about from on a race track?)
  • larger brakes (I probably don't need these for the type of driving I'll be doing)
Long Range:
  • fast acceleration (I don't actually know as I haven't driven it? Is it good enough for running around town and the occasional blast?)
  • 18" wheels (more versatile tyre choices and Aero covers can be taken on and off)
  • longer range (less time between charges?)
  • same premium interior
  • about $10K (AUD) less than Performance
  • AWD (same as Performance)
Anyway, really interested to see what the Tesla community thinks...
I have also been seriously thinking of a model 3 performance in the Uk. My only concern is the odd time I have to do a 220 mile round trip at 70 on the motor way. It’s rare however should I have an emergency at home I need to be able to do the trip without charging. Has anyone done a similar trip in one of these. usually it would not be an issue so range would not be a concern.

I would like to have purchased the Performance but will never accept /35 tires. I drive on real country roads and am not interested in the rough ride and the increased probability of popping a tire that go with /35. The lack of a spare is one of the things I like the least about the car and I strongly prefer to minimize that issue -- by going with /45 tires (18" wheels on this car).

Still waiting for LR/Dual Motor in Australia.
Reserved 31 March 2016, ordered as soon as they became configurable first week August 2019.
So I've been waiting three years and seven months and still no car in sight.
No news, no schedule, no hope.
A shabby way to treat your customers Mr Musk.

Still waiting for LR/Dual Motor in Australia.
Reserved 31 March 2016, ordered as soon as they became configurable first week August 2019.
So I've been waiting three years and seven months and still no car in sight.
No news, no schedule, no hope.
A shabby way to treat your customers Mr Musk.
The Tesla website now lists delivery ETA for SR+ and P3D as Feb but the LR AWD still says Dec. So you may be in with a chance to get it before the end of the year?

The from-the-factory-on-the-car ones? Yes, they are.

Michelin MXM4 all seasons on the 18s, Continental all seasons on the 19s

Only the P 20s come with summer tires.

None of em (in the US anyway) come with winter tires (though Tesla sells an additional wheel/tire winter package in the store).
some markets shod 19s with Hankook Ventus S1 evo summer tires

I decided that the LR AWD was the sweet spot for me (Given that we don't get the option of LR RWD in Australia). M3P is crazy fast but realistically I'd only ever use it to impress friends (I'm not a track boy) and the extra cost isn't worth that. The LR will be plenty fast for me. Also, softer ride will make the longer journeys more comfortable.
Can't wait for it to arrive.

I had the Performance, but returned it. I had tried both before buying, but was all in love with the Performance.

But in real world driving (after the first couple of days), I realized I could never really use the added acceleration, which is primarily from 0-30 mph. It’s so fast, that driving in the city, you can only really push it for 2 seconds, and you are getting a speeding ticket. And that is if there is no traffic and you are first at the red light. After 30 mph, the AWD is just as fast. My parents has the AWD, and all round I think it’s the best car, at the best price.

Also the 20” rims and stiffer suspension is way to bumpy for me. And I know people who say the AWD is on the firmer side of ride quality in cars, which I agree with. They look really good, but for me it’s not worth it. First and foremost, it has to drive great.

the added acceleration, which is primarily from 0-30 mph.

This is way wrong. At 55 MPH the difference is about 350 HP vs 450 HP. At 75 mph it's about 360 HP vs 410 HP. When you get up to 90 mph they start to become reasonably similar, although it's not clear that will hold with the recent power update.

Essentially at all legal speeds it is significantly faster.

Reactions: kingtizzy007