Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my performance M3 and living here in Florida I can drive the thing virtually year round on my OEM equipped summer tires minus a few days out the year when we occasionally deep into the 30’s. Having said that, I did live in SE Michigan for years and could not imagine rolling on these low profile tires on those decaying roads there. It’s littered with not potholes, but giant craters!

Reactions: BlindPass
Took a couple of days to finish the thread. From the start to finish there has been a lot of configuration changes. Now you can obtain the performance without all the upgrades or select the upgrades at no additional charges.

I have owned my stealth m3 for about 2 month. Here's my take. First I test drive AWD non p model. It was a beast. Quicker then anything car I have ever been in. But as they say, when it comes to horse power, too much is not enough. I ordered awd non p in the beginning, but when I learned about the stealth model, I changed my order to stealth and was lucky enough to get one. And I gotta say the quick acceleration from stop is addicting if not a little dizzy if done continuously. I say if u can afford it and is able to find a stealth, go for the stealth. No other car comes close to the fun that comes with model 3 especially the p model. Just my 2 cents.

I have owned my stealth m3 for about 2 month. Here's my take. First I test drive AWD non p model. It was a beast. Quicker then anything car I have ever been in. But as they say, when it comes to horse power, too much is not enough. I ordered awd non p in the beginning, but when I learned about the stealth model, I changed my order to stealth and was lucky enough to get one. And I gotta say the quick acceleration from stop is addicting if not a little dizzy if done continuously. I say if u can afford it and is able to find a stealth, go for the stealth. No other car comes close to the fun that comes with model 3 especially the p model. Just my 2 cents.
Why do people like the stealth?

I have a P3D+ and drive on some terrible roads regularly and have been fine. But, I also know the area and am cautious on roads I know are bad.

I first thought I’d get a LR AWD because I’m very conservative when it comes to spending, but my wife convinced me to get the performance because she knew I’d regret it if I didn’t. She was right and I’m really glad with my decision despite the increased cost.
HA! Man, your wife is as awesome as mine. I was hesitant about this as well and she was the one that made the decision for me. She said that if it is only $80-100 more a month and we are keeping the car for the foreseeable future, I would be foolish not to get what I truly want...I agree!

Here's a crazy story. Picked up my LR AWD 3 September 29, 2018. Loved it from day 1. In December 2019, I received an email regarding Acceleration Boost. I'm in! Went to upgrade section of my account, but couldn't find AB. Called Tesla every day for about a month-they couldn't figure out the problem. Exasperated, I went to the TMC forum. They quickly figured out no AB for me because I have a Stealth P! The red line under Dual Motor and Track Mode should have been a tipoff, but I never paid for the Stealth because I didn't know it existed. Now I'm smiling knowing that I am driving the rarest, baddest 3 on the road! Thanks, Elon!

Took a couple of days to finish the thread. From the start to finish there has been a lot of configuration changes. Now you can obtain the performance without all the upgrades or select the upgrades at no additional charges.
Can you explain? I have an order in on a Long Range Dual Motor. Thinking about switching to P but I don't want to deal with 20" Summer tires.

Since there is no longer a price difference between stealth and plus... I'm curious why someone wouldn't buy the plus and sell the wheels?

At least this way you get the better brakes, lowered suspension , and spoiler?

I just sold my stock 20" and was able to get more then enough to buy a set of stock aero if I wanted? This would actually be the most economical way to get a performance model 3, no?

Since there is no longer a price difference between stealth and plus... I'm curious why someone wouldn't buy the plus and sell the wheels?

At least this way you get the better brakes, lowered suspension , and spoiler?

I just sold my stock 20" and was able to get more then enough to buy a set of stock aero if I wanted? This would actually be the most economical way to get a performance model 3, no?

Yeah no kidding. I've said that over and over again. Its not that hard to sell. You can get pretty nice aftermarket 18s or 19s that are way nicer looking than the stock 18s too. Its weird that Tesla makes them the same price. The margin on the non-Performance package must be extremely high for Tesla. The stock 18s also come with garbage tires for performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Back when I contributed to this thread I had a mind to get a LR AWD and save some cash, and I wasn't necessarily keen on the Performance Upgrade parts on the P3D+, nor had I driven one. I love the look of the Aero wheels, and I really like the range they add. I also like having more sidewall to absorb road imperfections on these L.A. County streets.

After I'd placed my order for a LR AWD my Tesla rep informed me that there was a P3D- at my local dealer NOW (instead of waiting 3-5 weeks) and this was exactly the car I wanted anyway, but couldn't exactly order one directly. It's the same cost as a P, but without the Performance Upgrade Parts. It does have that telltale red underline below 'Dual Motor' for those who know. It's the Stealth!

Anyway, I'm in love with it and am glad I went for it. Knowing what I know now, I'd also go for the P over the LR AWD as well, but the Stealth is the best of all worlds for me if I have to commute to L.A. I also like that it's a bit of an understated 'sleeper'. :)

I also come from the world of motorcycles, so getting something quick to 60 feels a whole lot like when I'm on the sportbike. I like having that acceleration advantage...leaving cars behind for a cushion (even if I settle in to the speed limit), or using power to avoid danger as-needed. Plus, it's just fun to have such clean thrust at the ready any time the mood strikes.

As of recently, there is no Performance version w/o the big brakes, larger rims etc - at least when I go to the site with private browser window. Tesla sure is curious in how they do things..
i think in the usa you can request a stealth performance but you still have to pay the performance price. in australia for the first 2 months had no awd on order but everyone could order a stealth performance for the same price as the awd (to get the performance you has to buy an optional performance package which added pedals, brakes, wheelset and spoiler. but otherwise identical)

I have a long range and I regret not getting the performance, the way I look at it is I’m gonna stop at the same charger regardless so might as well get the faster car with the nicer wheels, lowered suspension and track mode and lose a little bit of efficiency . May just end up sitting at the supercharger for 5 min longer

I have a long range and I regret not getting the performance, the way I look at it is I’m gonna stop at the same charger regardless so might as well get the faster car with the nicer wheels, lowered suspension and track mode and lose a little bit of efficiency . May just end up sitting at the supercharger for 5 min longer
The LR's top speed is more than double the highest speed limit here; I'm not ever going to be going anywhere near that top speed. Nor do I intend to drag race, so I don't need that extra acceleration. And those nicer wheels lower the top speed, which is of interest to those who want the speediest, and are more susceptible to failure. Of all the things I could have done differently, getting the P is not one of them.