Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've got a Performance Model 3 on order which is due to be delivered in the next few weeks. However, as I've been patiently waiting, I've done a lot of research and the Long Range version is looking very appealing.

The challenge where I live (Melbourne, Australia) is that Tesla only has the Performance Model 3s to test drive. So I drove that and it was great, but I would really like to compare it against the Long Range to make a more informed choice. So I thought I would post the question here and see what everyone thinks.

From my point of view the pros and cons are:
Performance:
  • super fast acceleration (fun, but how often will I actually use this?
  • large 20" wheels (these look good, but limit tyre choices and can easily get damaged with potholes, they are also heavier)
  • track mode (is there any use for this about from on a race track?)
  • larger brakes (I probably don't need these for the type of driving I'll be doing)
Long Range:
  • fast acceleration (I don't actually know as I haven't driven it? Is it good enough for running around town and the occasional blast?)
  • 18" wheels (more versatile tyre choices and Aero covers can be taken on and off)
  • longer range (less time between charges?)
  • same premium interior
  • about $10K (AUD) less than Performance
  • AWD (same as Performance)
Anyway, really interested to see what the Tesla community thinks...

Hi all,

I've got a Performance Model 3 on order which is due to be delivered in the next few weeks. However, as I've been patiently waiting, I've done a lot of research and the Long Range version is looking very appealing.

The challenge where I live (Melbourne, Australia) is that Tesla only has the Performance Model 3s to test drive. So I drove that and it was great, but I would really like to compare it against the Long Range to make a more informed choice. So I thought I would post the question here and see what everyone thinks.

From my point of view the pros and cons are:
Performance:
  • super fast acceleration (fun, but how often will I actually use this?
  • large 20" wheels (these look good, but limit tyre choices and can easily get damaged with potholes, they are also heavier)
  • track mode (is there any use for this about from on a race track?)
  • larger brakes (I probably don't need these for the type of driving I'll be doing)
Long Range:
  • fast acceleration (I don't actually know as I haven't driven it? Is it good enough for running around town and the occasional blast?)
  • 18" wheels (more versatile tyre choices and Aero covers can be taken on and off)
  • longer range (less time between charges?)
  • same premium interior
  • about $10K (AUD) less than Performance
  • AWD (same as Performance)
Anyway, really interested to see what the Tesla community thinks...
The acceleration is what sold it for me. Puts a smile on my face every time I jam the pedal.

Reactions: Spacep0d
In your shoes, I'd see if I can get the third option - the P3D-. Tesla has at various points sold a version that's in between the Performance and LRAWD - performance motors, but the LR suspension/brakes/wheels. Sometimes it's a menu option in some countries (Performance car without the "performance upgrade option package,") and sometimes it's available as an "off menu" option if you talk to Tesla folks in person.

It doesn't have quite the ultimate performance of the Performance model on the track, but it gives you the efficiency and pothole survival and ride comfort of the AWD with ~90% of the fun of the Performance model.

My wife and I have owned 5 BMWs of various models and performance levels over the past 15 years. During that time, I also owned a Corvette C5. My daily drivers over the past 8 years have been four Porsche cars: two Cayman S, a 911S and a Macan GTS. I know performance sports cars and sport sedans.

We purchased a Model 3 LR AWD in September. It's everything we need in a sports sedan for daily urban driving. A Model 3 Performance, in any iteration, would be overkill. 20" low profile tires in a city are terrible...poor ride quality and damage prone on pot-hole riddled streets.

If you're planning to track the car, then absolutely get a Model 3 Performance.

I had the same dilemma that you did. I went with the LR AWD over the performance. Personally, I have no intention of ever tracking it so the bigger breaks and track mode were not a necessity. As far as the 0-60, the LR AWD is plenty fast enough for normal spirited driving on regular streets. I believe the 0-60 on the performance is 3.2 while the LR AWD is 4.4. I live in Chicago where potholes are plentiful and it snows , so the 20's wouldn't make too much sense as I'd have to buy another set of tires for winter driving. Aside from the exterior performance parts ( bigger red breaks, carbon fiber spoiler) its virtually the same in appearance. the interior is exactly same minus the carbon fiber dash you get in the performance variant. My car was also about $8k cheaper than performance. Hope that helps in your decision making process

I drove both and bought the LR AWD. The performance is a blast, but so is the LR. You can tell the difference in speed to 60 between both but again, they are both fast. If you have the money and plan to track the car occasionally get the performance, otherwise save some cash and get the LR AWD.

Reactions: tvad
I’m not sure about Australia, but in the US the AWD and Performance models both have the exact same range (310 miles). There was a LR RWD model that gets 325 miles but at the moment I don’t think Tesla is building those currently.

I personally would go with a P3D- if I could order one. But if they are not available I would go with the AWD. The larger tires are not practical for everyday driving.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Had the same thoughts. After the testdrive(in a M3P) I ordered the AWD LR. It was untill I actually got to drive the awd LR that I cancelled the order. I thought it was too much of a difference with a performance model, so I ordered a M3P. The roads in Holland are well paved. Not a problem for 20 inch. Although more expensive, more than happy with the M3P.

I drove both and ended up with the LR AWD. I couldnt stomach the 20” wheels and low profile tires on the P3D. If i could buy another, it would be the P3D- as in the US its only $2k more. (Wasnt an option when I bought) The LR AWD is a FAST car and i cant use all the power very much in everyday driving. When I do, I usually make myself carsick.

No one needs the Performance version, but I got one since I test drove one and didn't want to be disappointed later with the LR version. Also, there is something about knowing you are one of the fastest cars on the road, you just need to watch out for the P100D. The Performance 3 has been described as "uncomfortably fast" by people that I have driven in it and if that is something you want, you don't have a choice. If its just a mode of transportation, then the P3D+ is not really needed.

Reactions: Punjabi510