Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Deciding on Replacement Model 3

Brenkj

Sep 11, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I'm the guy whose 2018 Model 3 (LR RWD) was crushed by a guy who ran a red light. I found out today that the insurance company is declaring it a total loss and is cutting me a check. As I see it, I have 3 options for a new car: (1) Order a new LR AWD and wait until November (at the earliest) - $52,490; (2) Order a new LR AWD Performance and wait until September - $57,990; or (3) buy a demo LR AWD that will take 1-3 weeks to deliver - $52,180 + $2,500 delivery fee. I don't have a burning desire to have the fastest Tesla possible, but I'm reluctant to pay a $2,500 delivery fee, since that's a sunk cost that doesn't add any value to the car. But on the other hand, I know the estimated delivery dates for new cars tend to slip, so late Sept./November could easily turn into mid October/December; whereas the delivery date for the demo car is probably pretty solid. I'm currently driving a Hyundai Venue from the rental car place, so the sooner I can get a new car (within reason) the better. Any wisdom that might help break the logjam? Thanks.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Your question seems to be (boiled down):

1. Buy a previously driven (demo) LR AWD for 52,180+2,500 = 54,680 + taxes
2. Buy the exact same car, but a new one for 52,490 (not sure if that includes 1200 destination but lets throw it in there) =53,690 + taxes
3. buy a performance for 57,990 (+ options + 1200 destination)

Then you say : "I dont have a burning desire to have the fastest tesla possible" which basically throws out the performance, and you are left with

"Do I buy a demo model 3 for MORE than a new one".

Shrug, that seems like an extremely easy answer to me but you would also have to wait. There is no chance in @#[email protected]# I would take a car with demo miles on it over a brand new one for even a small couple thousand discount... there is a less than zero chance I would do it for MORE than a new one.

Brenkj

Sep 11, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Thanks, J. I hadn't thought of it that way. In a fit of uncharacteristic impulsiveness, my wife and I decided to splurge on the Performance version and take advantage of the quicker delivery. Now I'm getting excited.

Sandmaster

Aug 7, 2021
Minneapolis
I think if you need a quicker turn around, the performance is honestly not a bad value. Obviously the higher price is a factor, but the LR AWD is not that far off from the performance price. I would have considered it for myself and just ate the higher price with a larger down payment, but I live in an icy and snowy climate for 5-6 months of the year. Also, the lesser range mixed with range loss in cold weather is what deterred me from just getting it.

At any rate, I am excited for you and hope you really enjoy the car. If I was in your situation, I would have probably done the same thing.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC