Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding on X or S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

Looking for input from tall and older owners. Background, I had a 2018 Model 3 and ended up selling mainly due to comfort. For me the ride was too rough. There was plenty of headroom but getting in and out was a bit of a challenge. Also never could get comfortable in the seat and after 1/2 hour drive ended up with sore back. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years.

Been looking at SUVs and was about to pull the trigger on a Macan. I like the idea of sitting a bit higher and find it a more comfortable position. After some soul searching I don’t want to go back to an ICE.

Looking at what’s available, I’m underwhelmed by Tesla competitors. So now I’m trying to decide if S or X is the right fit. I test drove both last week with Raven updates. S headroom and roofline seemed lower than the 3. Also seating was low. Ride though was huge improvement over the 3. X was plenty big and comfortable but I don’t need so much space, no kids. I’m trying to get an extended test drive to help with the decision.

Any guidance or inputs are welcomed.

Thanks

I fell in love with Tesla from a drive in my sister in laws S. Having said that I was surprised and proud that I got out and in without assistance. Very difficult with my bad knees and back. Won't be doing it again and now I am worried I would have similar trouble with a M3. Nearest showroom is over 350 miles so planning on a long trip to check it out. Meanwhile I am much enamored of the S/X's interior so just need to pony up the dollars.

I've had an S for over six years, but my friends (who are about my age, and their parents who are much older) have difficulty with entrance and exit. Also the shoulder belt is uncomfortable--especially for those in the back. My next Tesla will be an X; easier access and better shoulder belts.

Hi.

Looking for input from tall and older owners. Background, I had a 2018 Model 3 and ended up selling mainly due to comfort. For me the ride was too rough. There was plenty of headroom but getting in and out was a bit of a challenge. Also never could get comfortable in the seat and after 1/2 hour drive ended up with sore back. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years.

Been looking at SUVs and was about to pull the trigger on a Macan. I like the idea of sitting a bit higher and find it a more comfortable position. After some soul searching I don’t want to go back to an ICE.

Looking at what’s available, I’m underwhelmed by Tesla competitors. So now I’m trying to decide if S or X is the right fit. I test drove both last week with Raven updates. S headroom and roofline seemed lower than the 3. Also seating was low. Ride though was huge improvement over the 3. X was plenty big and comfortable but I don’t need so much space, no kids. I’m trying to get an extended test drive to help with the decision.

Any guidance or inputs are welcomed.

Thanks

Curious which wheels you had on your 3?

Anyhow, do the X. We are on our second one - the seating position and visibility are more commanding than the S, plus it is gobs more useful. Now the price difference between them is pretty minimal, and you will make it back on resale (X generally hold better value vs. S).

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Hi Voltage,
I am same height, somewhat fit 54 year old. For what you describe you'd be probably better off with an X. Based on the suspension setting, you can make this car perfect height for you getting in and out. You can also modify the easy entry position of seat and steering wheel so that it makes it especially easy to enter. (The S has that possibly too, I am not sure). I found that my X with white seats has an even cushier feel than the black seats. Definitely compare the two. Some people have complained about a metal bar in the seat cushion of the white seats. I believe those people were a bit on the heavier side. I have no such complains, even though I can feel the bar when pressing my hand on the seat. And btw, I don't have kids either, it's mostly me and my girl. Still the car's agility belies its size! Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Get the X. The X is easy to get in and out. Open and quiet inside. The new suspension is great. I love the S - better range, handles better, quicker, a little quieter but the X is bigger and the front windshield makes it so much more enjoyable to drive than the S - in my opinion.

Hi Voltage,
I am same height, somewhat fit 54 year old. For what you describe you'd be probably better off with an X. Based on the suspension setting, you can make this car perfect height for you getting in and out. You can also modify the easy entry position of seat and steering wheel so that it makes it especially easy to enter. (The S has that possibly too, I am not sure).
The S does, but the highest suspension setting is still too low. And yes, you can set the driver profiles, but they take a while to get into position, so it's not really ideal.

I have an S but like you I prioritize ride comfort and ergonomics. For me the X is THE car to get for comfort. I love my S but getting in and out of it is a pain and after a while I start to get sick of sitting so low and my driving foot and leg in an uncomfortable position.

What you saw and felt when you test drove both should be more important than anything we can tell you.

I am alone 95% of the time in my X, but the easy entry, headroom, and comfort make it the best choice for me anyway. One thing I always hated was leaning forward and peering upwards trying to see the traffic lights. With the X, I never have that problem, and it feels so open.

The price and efficiency/range differences are both small, so get whatever makes you happy.

...inputs...

I bought Model 3 not because I like it but because it's the cheapest.

I'm 5'5" but I didn't like the feeling of being crammed in Model S' driver seat so I bought an X.

I think Model X would address the needs for roominess to get in/out of the car as well as at your driver's seat.

I also like the convenience of its an automatic driver's door which beats Model S' automatic door handles.

I am "only" 6 feet but I am 75 and have arthritis, knee problems, and a history of back issues that flare up now and then. I recognized when i bought my Model S 4 years ago that it would not be ideal. The ride (coil suspension, no longer offered) is too hard (but have not driven a "Raven" model, which is apparently much better), the seating position is not great for ingress/egress (as you discovered), and the seat itself is pretty poor for my back and tush. YMMV, of course.
But -- driving it is not too bad once I am settled in. I got an after-market seat cushion, which helps but is not a panacea.
I had a loaner Model X once, for 2 or 3 days. I did not care for the ride (but it has been long enough that I can't tell you specifically what i did not like). the seats were not that much better so I still needed my aftermarket cushion, and the huge windshield was too much for me in bright sunlight. Plus the X really uses the kilowatts much faster than an S or a 3. The Raven version will help that a bit, of course.
Most people who have driven the Model 3 seem to feel the seat itself is more comfortable than the S or X (aside from position). I have driven 3s but not long enough to form an opinion on that myself.
What i am looking forward to is the Model Y. It should be higher than a 3 or S, have the better model 3 seats, and should be much less expensive than a Model S or X. Trouble is, it could be 2 years before you can get one. What to do in the meantime?
Don't be afraid to check out the competition. Both Jaguar and Audi are already delivering EVs in a small SUV form factor, with a seating position that might be more comfortable for you, and both are well-proven names that should have well-made seats. Lease one and then see what Tesla does with the Model Y. (I wish I could tell you what those two cars are like from personal experience, but I cannot.)

Don't be afraid to check out the competition. Both Jaguar and Audi are already delivering EVs in a small SUV form factor, with a seating position that might be more comfortable for you, and both are well-proven names that should have well-made seats. Lease one and then see what Tesla does with the Model Y. (I wish I could tell you what those two cars are like from personal experience, but I cannot.)

Thanks. I did drive an I-PACE. They are discounting heavily so wonder how well it’s selling. My biggest concerns are lower range, no superchargers, potential quality issues from reading forums. My view is other companies have one toe in the water vs Tesla being all in. Porsche looks like they are serious but time will tell. Audi I may check out but the price is about the same as an X.