Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding on X or S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6"2 and didnt have issues fitting into an S, but......

Its just me and the wife, no kids, no dogs. And we decided on the X. We actually bought the X before driving an S, we got an S loaner when we took our X in for the security upgrade.

Our reasons:
Personally the X looks better and has ALOT more room, you can even throw an air mattress back there if you wanna camp in it.
The falcon wing doors very often offer WOW factor as well, and theres other fun things like the celebration mode that the S just doesnt offer.

The only thing we actually liked in the S that the X didnt have was the sunroof (altho our loaner had some issues with it, took several attempts to actually get it to work.) And after we talked we decided if given a choice we like the falcon doors more than the sunroof anyway. The interior in the X we like a lil bit more too, the center console area seems much more useful in the X vs the "tray" style thing in the S.

If budget isnt an issue between them its X hands down.
20190727_220531.jpg
we had ours vinyl wrapped, ceramic coated, tinted, chrome delete, carbon fiber accents, various other cosmetics.

I fell in love with Tesla from a drive in my sister in laws S. Having said that I was surprised and proud that I got out and in without assistance. Very difficult with my bad knees and back. Won't be doing it again and now I am worried I would have similar trouble with a M3. Nearest showroom is over 350 miles so planning on a long trip to check it out. Meanwhile I am much enamored of the S/X's interior so just need to pony up the dollars.
I suggest you forget about getting a 3. The choices for you are X or Y.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Hi.

Looking for input from tall and older owners. Background, I had a 2018 Model 3 and ended up selling mainly due to comfort. For me the ride was too rough. There was plenty of headroom but getting in and out was a bit of a challenge. Also never could get comfortable in the seat and after 1/2 hour drive ended up with sore back. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years.

The Model S is actually shorter than the Model 3. If you had trouble with the 3, you will like the S less.

I'm 5'7" 150lbs, while it's not hard for me to get in and out an S but it is much much easier for me to get in and out an X. i find the S's ride to be a bit more comfortable than the X but still would rather have the X as a daily driver. the X for me is just a better daily driver since it's easier to get in and out because of the higher ride and the automatic doors, more luggage space and extra seats if you get 6/7 seater.

We own both an S and X, and I've previously owned several ICEs that ride even lower than the S.

The X sits higher and is much easier to get in and out.

The S sits lower and requires more effort, but still is much easier than getting into a Corvette or other low riding sports car.

Most of the time, we have only two people in our S & X - the rear areas are primarily used for storage. The S has a surprising amount of space with the rear seats folded down. With the middle row folded flat the X has a lot more space, plus the back storage area is taller.

If you do carry items in the back, the S has the advantage of a cover hiding items riding in the back storage area. The back of the S storage is wide enough you can even carry two golf bags laying sideways and still have room for luggage under the storage cover.

The X storage is a little narrower - longer items like golf clubs must go front to back, and require moving the middle row seats forward to provide as much space as the S has sideways in the very back.

When we have family visiting, we always use the X - because it can accommodate 7 people, and still have storage in the back and frunk.

Performance wise, the X is a little slower and has about 10% less range - but in practice, these are not major differences - and now that Tesla has priced the S and X close to the same - if easy entry/exit is important - X is the better choice.

• Informative
Reactions: spaghetti
voltage: Sounds like Model Y would be perfect for you. But since you cannot wait for it, get Model X. It fits in a garage, so it's not too long. It fits in a parking space, so it's not too fat. It's just my wife and I, and an occasional grandkid; we've only needed 7 seats one time. I just love the windshield. Kids of all ages love the Falcon doors.

We just returned from a 1660 mile round trip to Quebec City. Plenty of charging options. Conditions were good for high efficiency, and we got an overall 194 Wh/mile, which translates to 272 miles of range using 80 percent of our X100D's battery. A whole day's travel for us, most days. In any case way more range than our bladder capacity.

I've ridden in my daughter's Model S. Way less fun to bend and duck into. YMMV.

I’ve gone through the same decision making process.
We are an all Tesla family. My wife has a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. And I have a 2018 Model S 100. (My 2nd Model S)
When I traded in my previous Model S, I seriously considered getting a Model X.
I’m a tech junky. Love the auto-opening front doors and the door pockets. I wish the Model S had them. Ultimately the handling, the aesthetics and the range won the day.
No regrets...
Driving the Model S is a blast. My wife prefers her Model 3 for its smaller footprint...
I miss the heated steering wheel and steering wheel/instrument cluster phone access when I drive the Model 3.
I also prefer the tactile turn signals & dedicated AP stalk in the S/X.
Before I switched to Tesla I had a Highlander hybrid.
I would never load the car above the rear cover for road trips to maximize visibility.
I do the same with the Model S with the parcel shelf. When the rear seat iis up, it seems like the Model S has more room than the Highlander did. I’ve driven the Model X many times and have not found that it’s cargo space is significantly better for my uses. Obviously if someone needed seven seats then it’s the only practical choice.

We have both an S and an X, and sat in a 3. The S is lower and a bit more difficult to get in and out, but just a bit. If you set your Easy Entry to your liking, it makes things easier. It also sits lower and definitely has a more sporty feeling when driving. Both have quite a lot of storage but the X does carry more. The only real difference for me is that I do like the automatic front door closing in the X (not so much the auto open). I do kind of worry about the "more things to go wrong" thought about the automatic doors and the FWDs...

The 3 is groundbreaking in design, and while I could get very comfortable in the driver's seat, the passenger behind me would likely be uncomfortable with limited legroom. Which reminds me that getting out of the rear seats of an S is not exactly easy. In this respects, the X wins hands down.

Both cars are so much better than any other car I've had and both seem to be getting better with time.

We own both an S and X, and I've previously owned several ICEs that ride even lower than the S.

The X sits higher and is much easier to get in and out.

The S sits lower and requires more effort, but still is much easier than getting into a Corvette or other low riding sports car.

Most of the time, we have only two people in our S & X - the rear areas are primarily used for storage. The S has a surprising amount of space with the rear seats folded down. With the middle row folded flat the X has a lot more space, plus the back storage area is taller.

If you do carry items in the back, the S has the advantage of a cover hiding items riding in the back storage area. The back of the S storage is wide enough you can even carry two golf bags laying sideways and still have room for luggage under the storage cover.

The X storage is a little narrower - longer items like golf clubs must go front to back, and require moving the middle row seats forward to provide as much space as the S has sideways in the very back.

When we have family visiting, we always use the X - because it can accommodate 7 people, and still have storage in the back and frunk.

Performance wise, the X is a little slower and has about 10% less range - but in practice, these are not major differences - and now that Tesla has priced the S and X close to the same - if easy entry/exit is important - X is the better choice.
I have to bend my head down to prevent the roofline from knocking off my ball cap when I get into my Model S. And I'm only six feet tall.

I have both and I’m old and tall, the S is definitely harder to get in and out of. I love the X for both the seats and height, easy to get in and out. We do not have kids and still love the room, we got the 6 seat version and like the fact I can put things that are long thru the middle.

Hi.

Looking for input from tall and older owners. Background, I had a 2018 Model 3 and ended up selling mainly due to comfort. For me the ride was too rough. There was plenty of headroom but getting in and out was a bit of a challenge. Also never could get comfortable in the seat and after 1/2 hour drive ended up with sore back. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years.

Been looking at SUVs and was about to pull the trigger on a Macan. I like the idea of sitting a bit higher and find it a more comfortable position. After some soul searching I don’t want to go back to an ICE.

Looking at what’s available, I’m underwhelmed by Tesla competitors. So now I’m trying to decide if S or X is the right fit. I test drove both last week with Raven updates. S headroom and roofline seemed lower than the 3. Also seating was low. Ride though was huge improvement over the 3. X was plenty big and comfortable but I don’t need so much space, no kids. I’m trying to get an extended test drive to help with the decision.

Any guidance or inputs are welcomed.

Thanks
I haven't read any of the other posts, but I will give you my take:

We have an S and an X as well as a 3. My husband is 6' 7" and fits in all of them quite well. He had the S before the X and prefers driving that one (ours is a 2016 build). He says that his seats are more comfortable in the S, but I know they have changed the X seats out because ours are ventilated. I agree his S and 3 seats are more comfortable than mine. We are actually probably going to upgrade to a new X soon, and a new seat is one of the things I am looking forward to. I believe they still allow you to test drive overnight so hopefully you could do that to see if the seats are right for you. He doesn't complain about his back hurting when he drives the X, just that he prefers the S seat over the X. For him, the 3 seat is as nice as the S. The S is a 2013, pre-AP. The air ride on both S and X are miles above the 3, definitely!

My husband likes being able to see stoplights in the X without having to crane his neck to see out of the window in the X. I think this is the only car he has ever driven that he can see the stoplights easily without having to contort his body. :D The 3 is definitely tighter to get into, and the S is much lower, but he doesn't really have a problem getting in either. He seems to have enough headroom in the S, doesn't have to turn his head to the side so as not to hit the ceiling (because he has had to do this in previous cars), but he has plenty extra in the X. I don't notice much difference for him in the S versus the 3 though.

If you want the SUV feel, then go with the X. If you are getting a 5 seater, you have a ton of extra room to haul things around that you wouldn't have in the S. You can tow if necessary. Good luck making your decision. If you have any other questions or need clarification, just let me know. :)