Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help from those who sold to 'givemethevin.com'. Thank you.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, I read somewhere that this online dealer (givemethevin.com) was great to deal with, but now that I got an offer, for the life of me, can't find the thread where it was discussed. So I'm starting a new one, to also benefit other potential sellers. Here's my deal: Jack has been great to deal with, and very responsive. Emailed him directly with several questions, rather than starting the process on his website, since it wasn't clear to me how a deal with him would work. First of all, there's no 'trade in' tax differential when buying another vehicle on your own, which I understood was possible (but I knew it wasn't). He confirmed the sale has to be made straight-thru, as expected. So I sent him all the info on my car, and he just came up with an offer for $56,500.00, which is $1,500 above what I'm asking on this forum (classified section). Great, but here's the rub: My car is paid for, so nothing has to be paid off to release a lean. And he wants me to sign papers assigning title to him, then drop car off at a Manheim auction place, and then a BofA check (which is where I bank) I'd receive along with the docs to sign, would get 'activated'. This sounds like a huge leap of faith I don't feel quite comfortable with, but if legit, I'm willing to do it. I already did that twice with Vroom, after checking them out, and didn't have any issues. And both companies operate in TX, where I live, so suppose I have better legal remedies than out-of-state buyers, no?

Anyway, will check them out starting with the BBB, but prefer to hear from actual customers who also had vehicles paid for, to see how the transaction went, especially if out of TX, like I suspect they are. I'm curious what kind of check you get, that can be 'activated'. Hopefully I can hear from at least one forum member. Thank you for your help.
JC

Last edited:
We've sold two different cars now to GMTV. The first was a Ford MME last fall. Their offer was WAYYYY above anyone else and I couldn't say no. They arranged for a third party to come pick up the car at my place of work (a public school). The guy who showed up was *very* Russian and it admittedly threw up some red flags, but all was well. They activated the check and I got exactly what was promised, no hitches.

A little over a month ago, we also sold them a VW ID.4. This time, we were able to drop it off at their new drop location in Little Rock. It was super seamless and again, everything went as promised.

I'm thinking of getting another Tesla and will be contacting them shortly to see how much they can beat Vroom and Carvana. Be sure to check out Alex on Autos's Vroom experience. It sounded not great.

Hey, thank you very much for your great help. Yeah, Vroom has a 1.2x BBB rating, while GMTV 4.9x, so I feel a lot better. Ha ha. But most of the complaints on Vroom are when they sell, not buy. I had zero issues selling them 2 like-new vehicles, but at least the first was a bit nerve-racking, since they were also paid off, and I had to drop them off before getting a check. Carvana offered me $50,155 for my immaculate Tesla, so not even remotely close. I was asking here $55K, so much better than even that, and no need to mess with tire-kickers. Ha ha. Will go ahead with the sale, based on your input. I just asked the guy in which name the deal will be made, to make sure it'll be a business, and not a person. Hope all goes well. Thank you again for your great help.

Hey, thank you very much for your great help. Yeah, Vroom has a 1.2x BBB rating, while GMTV 4.9x, so I feel a lot better. Ha ha. But most of the complaints on Vroom are when they sell, not buy. I had zero issues selling them 2 like-new vehicles, but at least the first was a bit nerve-racking, since they were also paid off, and I had to drop them off before getting a check. Carvana offered me $50,155 for my immaculate Tesla, so not even remotely close. I was asking here $55K, so much better than even that, and no need to mess with tire-kickers. Ha ha. Will go ahead with the sale, based on your input. I just asked the guy in which name the deal will be made, to make sure it'll be a business, and not a person. Hope all goes well. Thank you again for your great help.
What are the stats of the car youre selling btw? Im in a similar boat.

I have it in the classifieds here, but got buried under tons of stupid 'reservation sales'. It's a 2021 white M3 LR with white interior with 10,013 miles, in immaculate condition. With $600 in extras, excluding the mobile cable and carpeted floor mats, which were included with my car. But it includes a 14-50 adapter, trunk mats, and other crap. I was asking 55 grand, and got offered 56.5, so a no-brainer. I have 53 grand on it, including all taxes, so basically was paid 3.5 grand to use the car for 1-1/2 years, and 10K miles. Not bad. Ha ha. Just needed to know those GMTV guys were legit, and apparently they are, so got the ball rolling already with the VIN/title pictures they requested. Closest next offer was Carvana, but at only $50,155. And $53K from a forum member here (from my ad). Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ziddy
Hey gang, I read somewhere that this online dealer (givemethevin.com) was great to deal with, but now that I got an offer, for the life of me, can't find the thread where it was discussed. So I'm starting a new one, to also benefit other potential sellers. Here's my deal: Jack has been great to deal with, and very responsive. Emailed him directly with several questions, rather than starting the process on his website, since it wasn't clear to me how a deal with him would work. First of all, there's no 'trade in' tax differential when buying another vehicle on your own, which I understood was possible (but I knew it wasn't). He confirmed the sale has to be made straight-thru, as expected. So I sent him all the info on my car, and he just came up with an offer for $56,500.00, which is $1,500 above what I'm asking on this forum (classified section). Great, but here's the rub: My car is paid for, so nothing has to be paid off to release a lean. And he wants me to sign papers assigning title to him, then drop car off at a Manheim auction place, and then a BofA check (which is where I bank) I'd receive along with the docs to sign, would get 'activated'. This sounds like a huge leap of faith I don't feel quite comfortable with, but if legit, I'm willing to do it. I already did that twice with Vroom, after checking them out, and didn't have any issues. And both companies operate in TX, where I live, so suppose I have better legal remedies than out-of-state buyers, no?

Anyway, will check them out starting with the BBB, but prefer to hear from actual customers who also had vehicles paid for, to see how the transaction went, especially if out of TX, like I suspect they are. I'm curious what kind of check you get, that can be 'activated'. Hopefully I can hear from at least one forum member. Thank you for your help.
JC

I sold my wifes 2019 X3 M40i to Givemethevin. it was a fantastic experience in all phases. My wifes car had a loan on it through BMWFS, but I had positive equity of just under 12k in it with the offer I received vs the outstanding loan.

I sent the pictures, we agreed on a price, and rather than wait for a pickup, I drove the car to an office they have here in CA that happened to be 50 miles or so from my house. When I got there, The guy inspected the car for about 10 minutes (very casually), started it up, drove around the block, and came back with my check.

I deposited the check for just under 12k in my bank and it cleared 2 days later. It was a super painless experience and I would absolutely 100% use them again or recommend them.

Very nice to hear; thank you. I already started the process of sending the pictures requested. Couldn't believe I got that much more offered than the next highest, which was Carvana (almost $5.5K more). Noticed both Carvana and Vroom got more greedy lately. Both used to mark up their vehicles about 5 grand. Now it's 10, so almost like dealers. Glad I found out about these guys on time, so I don't have to bother with private sellers. Already posted on my ad here that car is basically sold, and much better than expected (was asking $55K). Thanks again.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have often wondered how GMTV could be profitable with some of the offers they make. When I sold them my MME, Vroom and Carvana offered $50k for it, but GMTV came back with $54k. This was in a car that I had recently bought for $47k and then received the full $7500 tax credit. So like I said, no brainer.

If your car only had a black interior...

Reactions: makopolo
We've sold two different cars now to GMTV. The first was a Ford MME last fall. Their offer was WAYYYY above anyone else and I couldn't say no. They arranged for a third party to come pick up the car at my place of work (a public school). The guy who showed up was *very* Russian and it admittedly threw up some red flags, but all was well. They activated the check and I got exactly what was promised, no hitches.

A little over a month ago, we also sold them a VW ID.4. This time, we were able to drop it off at their new drop location in Little Rock. It was super seamless and again, everything went as promised.

I'm thinking of getting another Tesla and will be contacting them shortly to see how much they can beat Vroom and Carvana. Be sure to check out Alex on Autos's Vroom experience. It sounded not great.
Hey thanks a ton for this note!!

Along with the ongoing purchase of a Tesla, I was looking to sell my Ford MME. I've never heard of GMTV, but because of this thread and your recommendation I reached out and they made an offer that I couldn't refuse. Needless to say I just wrapped up the sale and they should be picking up the car in a few days.

Reactions: SkepTeach
I sold my wifes 2019 X3 M40i to Givemethevin. it was a fantastic experience in all phases. My wifes car had a loan on it through BMWFS, but I had positive equity of just under 12k in it with the offer I received vs the outstanding loan.

I sent the pictures, we agreed on a price, and rather than wait for a pickup, I drove the car to an office they have here in CA that happened to be 50 miles or so from my house. When I got there, The guy inspected the car for about 10 minutes (very casually), started it up, drove around the block, and came back with my check.

I deposited the check for just under 12k in my bank and it cleared 2 days later. It was a super painless experience and I would absolutely 100% use them again or recommend them.
thanks for posting your experience.

I checked they have few locations in So. CA and one of them is closer to me. But when I checked on their address, it shows the "back ally" location. Which location did you drop off your car?

I will check with them when I am ready to sell my Honda ODY (once, and if/when we receive the Tesla 3 or Y, whichever comes first).

Was the check Cashier Check or "personal/business" check?

Last edited:
thanks for posting your experience.

I checked they have few locations in So. CA and one of them is closer to me. But when I checked on their address, it shows the "back ally" location. Which location did you drop off your car?

I will check with them when I am ready to sell my Honda ODY (once, and if/when we receive the Tesla 3 or Y, whichever comes first).

Was the check Cashier Check or "personal/business" check?

It was a business check, but it was active the minute they handed it to me. You have to make an appointment for drop off with them with whomever you are communicating with (your purchasing agent), but that was very painless. They are based in TX and the person I talked to was there, but once we settled on price, I uploaded pictures and esigned, they said:
=============================
"we have an office you can drop off at if you dont want to wait for pickup. Pickup will take a week or so because we are backed up but you can schedule a drop off appointment at your convenience. We have X and Y and Z available, do any of those times work for you?"
==========================

I picked "Y" (of course it was an actual date / time) and then had my wife follow me up there. it was an office building type place, i forget the address now. I never even went inside. They had me call "So and so" when I got to the office building parking lot. So and so came out after I got there, and then did what I said earlier, then handed me a check for the exact amount I was expecting.

I wet signed a document saying I accepted the check, and drove directly to a branch of my bank. Theoretically, I could have gone to BofA (which the check was drawn on) to cash it, but since in my case it was just under 12k I didnt see a reason to do that.

I deposited it, and it clearned in 2 business days (standard time my bank put checks on hold of that size).

I realize this is sort of sounding like I am affiliated with them (im not, and there isnt any referral thing I am doing or anything, thus no "pm me for details"). It was just super refreshing for everything to be so "gosh darn" smooth, no stress, etc. It was ALMOST like an old school "handshake" type of deal, where it was super low stress and we both just did what we promised each other (GMTV and me) we would do.

Other than they told me they couldn't buy my car because it wasn't registered (of course it is), and they somehow cleared their error, the transaction is going pretty painlessly. I'm going to get docs and a deactivated check on Monday, and will be ready to drop off the car at a Manheim Auction place 5 miles from my house whenever they tell me after that. Just need to search how to 'reset' my car to factory specs. Anyway, I was really surprised to learn they have a 4.92/5 BBB rating, when the 2 transactions with Vroom (also a TX company) were great, and they only have 1.2x/5. Ha ha. I was going to sell the car here if somebody offered me 55 grand, so couldn't believe they offered more than that. My guess is they're going to offer it for sale 3 grand over my price, which was what Carvana and Vroom were doing not long ago, but they're now making 10 grand, so they became greedy, just like dealers. Hopefully GMTV won't, and it's a good indication of that since they've been in business since 2015. I never heard of them before, but glad I did now. Ha ha. I'll make my final comments when the deal is finalized in about a week.

Reactions: makopolo
Other than they told me they couldn't buy my car because it wasn't registered (of course it is), and they somehow cleared their error, the transaction is going pretty painlessly. I'm going to get docs and a deactivated check on Monday, and will be ready to drop off the car at a Manheim Auction place 5 miles from my house whenever they tell me after that. Just need to search how to 'reset' my car to factory specs. Anyway, I was really surprised to learn they have a 4.92/5 BBB rating, when the 2 transactions with Vroom (also a TX company) were great, and they only have 1.2x/5. Ha ha. I was going to sell the car here if somebody offered me 55 grand, so couldn't believe they offered more than that. My guess is they're going to offer it for sale 3 grand over my price, which was what Carvana and Vroom were doing not long ago, but they're now making 10 grand, so they became greedy, just like dealers. Hopefully GMTV won't, and it's a good indication of that since they've been in business since 2015. I never heard of them before, but glad I did now. Ha ha. I'll make my final comments when the deal is finalized in about a week.

They sell 100% of their cars at auction, so its sort of "whatever the auction brings". Thats what they told me, anyway.

Are auction prices that high now? I always associated auctions with wholesale prices, meaning the lowest of all (even lower than trade-in). The fact they want me to drop the car at Manheim is a little suspicions, but they're also paying way higher than competitors (and even higher than private sale prices), so doesn't add up. Do they sell cars themselves? That'd answer the question. And if not, that's probably why they have such a high BBB rating, now that I think of it. Ha ha.

Oh man; always something. Deal is VERY different than what salesman said. I'm supposed to drop off the car at a crappy Manheim Auction place, with NO PROOF of anything. And they'd inspect the car within a day or two after dropping it off, with the car sitting in a crappy open dirt lot next to I-10, and at my own risk. Nothing signed that I dropped the car off in perfect condition, but more disturbingly, they wouldn't be responsible for any damage done to the car after I drop it off, and prior to inspection, either by nature, or their own drivers (hitting another parked car, etc). How stupid is that? That's a no-go for me, so the deal might be off. And no way in hell I'd pay them $250, so hope they don't attempt to do that, as nothing was sent (I asked for specifics before that happened). I'm trying to negotiate with them for Manheim to just call me when it's my turn to get car inspected, and I'd immediately leave to their place (10 min away). What kind of company makes the seller responsible after dropping vehicle off? Geez. Will keep you posted ,but Manheim doens't answer, so will most likely just kill the deal.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a call from them, precisely to ask where else they have offices in TX. I know their main office is in Dallas, some 800 miles away from me, so not an option. The other option would be a pick up, but he mentioned it'd be 'quite a bit less', so might not work, but want to see the number. If it was the 55 I was asking here or better, I'd take it. Less, nope. I held for over 2 hours to talk to the Manheim place, and nobody answered. A person I know said they're a freaking mess, so any kind of scheduled appointment to do the inspection is just not going to happen. They wanted me to just authorize to send docs, and call them from Manheim once I send everything back, so they can TRY to arrange an inspection while I wait outside. Yeah, right! Like if that was going to happen. And I'd have to order a new title and wait months for it if I cancel at that point (plus the $250). I already left a message that the deal is off as it is. We'll see where they have offices, but doubt anywhere other than Dallas.

I'm waiting for a call from them, precisely to ask where else they have offices in TX. I know their main office is in Dallas, some 800 miles away from me, so not an option. The other option would be a pick up, but he mentioned it'd be 'quite a bit less', so might not work, but want to see the number. If it was the 55 I was asking here or better, I'd take it. Less, nope. I held for over 2 hours to talk to the Manheim place, and nobody answered. A person I know said they're a freaking mess, so any kind of scheduled appointment to do the inspection is just not going to happen. They wanted me to just authorize to send docs, and call them from Manheim once I send everything back, so they can TRY to arrange an inspection while I wait outside. Yeah, right! Like if that was going to happen. And I'd have to order a new title and wait months for it if I cancel at that point (plus the $250). I already left a message that the deal is off as it is. We'll see where they have offices, but doubt anywhere other than Dallas.

Yeah there is no chance in @#%@$ I would just drop my car off at a mannheim auction, unless it was picking up a check at the same time. I dont blame you on that. Im curious to see how this comes out for you, thanks for the feedback. Its just so different than my experience, it doesnt even sound like the same company.

I know these type things happen (different experiences), but even how helpful you describe the person at givemethevin being is different.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Good news. Got a call from a higher up, and agreed he wouldn't just drop a $56K car and hope for the best, so he offered to pick it up at my house with no deduction (I was willing to go down to $55K with that option), so it was a great outcome. The deal is back on. Hope no more surprises. Ha ha. Getting the docs overnighted tomorrow, so will get them Wednesday, sign them, and return them the same day. Not sure when car would get picked up, but will have to be patient with that (not a big deal). Will keep you guys posted.