Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help: I put a deposit on Jan 15 to receive free supercharging for life, But not getting it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan 15 was the last day you could buy a Tesla to receive free supercharging for life.
So, on the 15th, I went to a dealer and placed a $2500 deposit for Tesla S right after a test drive.
Unfortunately, I did not have time to test drive Tesla X that day. So, I went home as the owner advisor told me I still have 7 days to make any changes I want without penalty.
The next day, on the 16th, I went back to the same dealer and test drove Tesla X and
decided to go with Tesla X. But, the owner advisor told me that they cannot give me a free supercharging for life any longer
because I am switching my order from S to X, and the offer expired on the 15th. I told him that he should have told me that on the 15th.
If I knew, I would have put two deposits, one for each and make a decision in 7 days.

Is there anything I can do so that they make an exception in my case? I really want an X but would rather cancel
this order
if they do not include the free supercharging offer. I am so excited to find the perfect car for my family, yet
pissed off as they are going to take away this offer. Any suggestion from anyone?

I already have an X and was planning for an X. I was considering on placing an order for an S on the 15th since but Tesla didn't follow up on my trade in so I didn't pull the trigger. Personally free supercharging isn't really a incentive since the first 1k is free and the rates are cheap but depending on your usage that can vary. I only used Superchargers during road trips on my X

But, the owner advisor told me that they cannot give me a free supercharging for life any longer
because I am switching my order from S to X, and the offer expired on the 15th. I told him that he should have told me that on the 15th.
If I knew, I would have put two deposits, one for each and make a decision in 7 days.
But did you tell him on the 15th that you might also be interested in looking at a Model X that qualifies for free lifetime Supercharging? If not, how would he know ahead of time that you might change your mind the next day and, therefore, should have warned you about the risk of changing to a totally different car after the expiration date had lapsed?

Last edited:
Jan 15 was the last day you could buy a Tesla to receive free supercharging for life.
So, on the 15th, I went to a dealer and placed a $2500 deposit for Tesla S right after a test drive.
Unfortunately, I did not have time to test drive Tesla X that day. So, I went home as the owner advisor told me I still have 7 days to make any changes I want without penalty.
The next day, on the 16th, I went back to the same dealer and test drove Tesla X and
decided to go with Tesla X. But, the owner advisor told me that they cannot give me a free supercharging for life any longer

Is there anything I can do so that they make an exception in my case? I really want an X but would rather cancel
this order
if they do not include the free supercharging offer. I am so excited to find the perfect car for my family, yet
pissed off as they are going to take away this offer. Any suggestion from anyone?
The changes you can make during the cooling off period relate to the configuration of the car as opposed to the actual car model.

They make it clear that this is the case when you place your order:
"Your order will be automatically confirmed on [date]. If you would like to make changes to your design, please do so before then. When confirmed, the Tesla factory will begin sourcing parts to manufacture your Model S"

• Informative
Reactions: wiredprairie
I'd vote if I could with all my TSLA shares to approve your change from the S to the X. :(

My best recommendation is to ask for escalation to a decision maker and not the front line store employee to see if they can help you. You worked within good faith to meet the deadline and deserve an exception.

Worst case if it fails, I would not make lifetime super charging as the make or break between Tesla / no Tesla, or Model S/Model X.

Suoerchargining Is cheap enough that you can afford it (no buys a Tesla to "save" on gas, cost of ownership or anything like that. And also assess how many times you would honestly need SC beyond the free credit and price it out.

To put things in perspective, people who missed AP2 by a few days or a month have it much harder.

When the X gets a HUD and I have to deal with looking through my steering wheel, I'll be annoyed but that's Tesla ownership for you!

Just my two cents, hope you find success or peace no matter the outcome.

The feature on the car would be part of re-sale value as well and it also affects whether the per-kWh charges increase over time - while those with "supercharging for life" do not experience such an increase, if it would occur.

Or just find an inventory Model X that does include free supercharging.

If they support that. Inventory cars were not "ordered" by customers. Their policy is for customers who have made orders - but does it apply to inventory which would have surely been ordered before 1/15/17 and if bought off the lot by 3/31/17 - "delivered" by April. But does anyone know the actual "treatment" of the inventory new vehicles? Will they allow the unlimited supercharging only for inventory sales by 1/15/17?

this order

I sold my last car due to high mileage, lack of range in the winter, it was 2 years 1/2 old I had 50k. If you are not a road warrior, I wouldn't worry about it. Tesla provides 1000 miles worth of free supercharging a year. I did that driving from VA to Paul Brown stadium for another NFL stadium tour in three days. LA to NY is ~ 120 bucks: Building the Supercharger Network for the Future.

It would be nice if they would allow you to switch, which I doubt, but even if they dont - that's not enough reason to forgo the purchase altogether. Unless you're buying this car with intent to drive (pleasure or business) thousands of miles every month, free supercharging or not is not a huge deal.

It would've been nice though if Tesla dropped a price just a little bit for cars without free supercharging.

this order

I'm really sorry that the clock ran out on you. It sounds like misunderstanding on both sides - you put a deposit on an S and the advisor rightfully told you that you had 7 days to make design changes to that order before it locked in. You thought that meant you could change to any vehicle. I'm sure you received an email from Tesla confirming your order, similar to the one I received for my X:
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 6.45.48 AM.png
It's really a shame that you waited until the 15th where you only had time to test drive one car, much less place an order ... it sounds like somewhat of a rushed afternoon. I'm afraid you probably won't get an exception. They already extended by 15 days (it was 12/31 originally), if they make one exception, then there will be others who ask for the same exception.

I agree with the other posters that paying fees for Supercharging will not have any significant impact on anyone other than road warriors. You're going to love your vehicle, no matter which one you put in your garage. I hope you go forward with an order, I'm sure you'll love your vehicle.

Don't get too hung up on the supercharger being free. If you plan to install a wall charger, you'll likely rarely stop at any superchargers.

Also, if you are doing a long trip the cost to drive across the country is $100.

Though it is nickle and diming, it is probably more likely to be $150. From .20/kWh to sometimes under .10/kWh, it can vary. Tesla says that 400kWh is "about 1000 miles". Cross-country would be 2500 miles or 1000 kWh, per-Tesla. Hotels and food certainly far more of the nation-crossing spend.

Weather conditions make it vary, average speeds do alter the draw, the possibility of more Tier-2 charging if you are range-charging, per-minute stuff and even fees when done. The folks working Uber would be the primary people hurt by the new supercharger fees - however, it was said that current CPOs will carry the free supercharging for life of the car (per Jon Mc.) so Uber drivers can pick up CPOs or private-sale. The $150 is much better than gas spent for a low-mpg luxury sedan which is what people usually use to drive cross-country now. However, the miles per kWh in a Model X should be slightly less due to profile and weight plus whether carrying luggage, people and towing.

There's no AP2 inventory cars that I can see. And inventory cars are heavily optioned out.
Unless the configured car was loaded out you would negate the cost benefit from the free SC that way.

There's no AP2 inventory cars that I can see. And inventory cars are heavily optioned out.
Unless the configured car was loaded out you would negate the cost benefit from the free SC that way.

Where are you looking for inventory cars? There are far more than those shown on ev-cpo.com or otherwise.

See thread here, I put up a recent list of inventory based on cryptyk's lists he presented in this thread:
List of all P100D inventory cars
I can work up a similar list of still-available MX as well (list above is only MS in the USA).

I'm really sorry that the clock ran out on you. It sounds like misunderstanding on both sides - you put a deposit on an S and the advisor rightfully told you that you had 7 days to make design changes to that order before it locked in. You thought that meant you could change to any vehicle. I'm sure you received an email from Tesla confirming your order, similar to the one I received for my X:
It's really a shame that you waited until the 15th where you only had time to test drive one car, much less place an order ... it sounds like somewhat of a rushed afternoon. I'm afraid you probably won't get an exception. They already extended by 15 days (it was 12/31 originally), if they make one exception, then there will be others who ask for the same exception.

I agree with the other posters that paying fees for Supercharging will not have any significant impact on anyone other than road warriors. You're going to love your vehicle, no matter which one you put in your garage. I hope you go forward with an order, I'm sure you'll love your vehicle.

The OP should make sure to get a $1000 referral discount and that will go a long way on the supercharger network if they use it for paid-for kWh.

Reactions: diesel and ABC2D
Where are you looking for inventory cars? There are far more than those shown on ev-cpo.com or otherwise.

See thread here, I put up a recent list of inventory based on cryptyk's lists he presented in this thread:
List of all P100D inventory cars
I can work up a similar list of still-available MX as well (list above is only MS in the USA).

Ahh.. I had every reason to think that EV-CPO was comprehensive. How is the data being sourced differently for differing accuracy results?

There was no mistake on Tesla's part. Why should they make any accommodation?

Good will. It warrants it in this situation.