Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Identifying Noise from 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2016.5 (refresh) Model S with RWD and a 75kW pack and with around 121k miles on the odometer. Recently I started hearing a low-pitched noise at speeds above 35MPH. Can anyone help me identify what the cause could be (i.e. Drive Unit, tires rubbing on something, etc.)? A video I took to document the noise can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/kmvHC_vpt7E

Greatly appreciate your expertise!

I had an almost identical car (Dec-2016 RWD 75), and wasn't able to notice something unusual in the video. I had an older S that had a bad motor bearing, and your sounds are not that noise. Hopefully, someone else can identify what you're hearing.

Unrelated, I suppose you know you have a leaking instrument panel display. Not to sell you on something, but I did do the MCU2 retrofit, which replaces both displays. For me, it was worth it, although I didn't have any display issues. New displays are both higher contrast and higher resolution.

I don't hear a high pitch noise but I do hear a hum. Is it coming from the passenger front speaker?

Either way while driving press the panel right below the main screen (MCU) and above the cubby drawer. Keep pressing around that area along the bottom and see if the noise level changes or goes away. Mine did that turned out to be a grounding issue that warranted a replacement of the MCU.

By process of elimination, I believe the noise is just the front wheel bearings wearing out. The car has 154k miles now and the noise is still present but has not gotten worse. I'm planning to sell my Model S in July 2024 just prior to the 8yr unlimited mile powertrain & battery warranty expiration, so unless I experience any vibration or other serious symptoms, I'm planning to roll the dice and hope it makes it 7 more months.