Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I've heard some type of rubbing noise on my driver side when I rotate the wheel as I back out of the driveway but never really paid too much attention. As I look closer at the car today, I'm noticing that the distance from the outside edge of tire to car body is different from both driver and passenger sides. The driver side measures 2.25" from tire to bumper edge on the driver side whereas at the passenger side, it measures 3". There's a 3/4" difference between the two sides. Is this normal? Are your Model S similar to this? I have the 2019 Performance Model. It seems strange that the gap would be this much different between passenger and driver sides.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 34
I was checking back to see what was happening on this. No other responses. It sure seems like that is greater than any normal variances should be. I have no idea why it would be that way. If the rubbing is your tire, and particularly if your car is under warranty, I would have it checked out. Maybe you could have a local shop check it out for any obvious suspension and mechanical issues first if you are not under warranty. I'd try to find out what is going on.

Another thing to check is if your front suspension is level on each side, by going into the advanced suspension display.

I don't know about Model S , but my MX has different size tyres in the front and rear . The rear tyres are slightly wider. If your MS has different size tyres front and rear and if you had your tyres rotated , then there could be a possibility of a mistake while re-mounting the wheels after balancing etc. Please check if the front and rear tyres are same size or different.