Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help, just won a Tesla S on eBay

Safe to buy?

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won this....

2013 Tesla Model | eBay

The auto check said it had two collisions, one in the front and one in the rear. Concerning, but I've bought cars before that have been in minor accidents and all is good.

Any recommendations from the experts here as to proceed? I'm in Austin, tx and the car is in NJ.
Confirm that car is not salvage title. If it is, do not buy. If not, might be worth flying up for an inspection or hiring a local inspector before buying. If car in good shape, looks like a deal.

Reactions: bigbear
Just an FYI, I had minor (IMO) body damage on my MX, see picture. The parts from Tesla took almost 4 months to get to the Tesla approved body shop. The repair took about 2 weeks and the cost was ....... $12,500. Insurance paid most of it and body shop did a great job. Hope you have good luck with yours.

IMG_2541.jpg

Be sure to ask for your free TV also

at the very bottom of the page the fine print it reads
PEOPLE RARELY READ THE FINE PRINT, WE PUT IT HERE TO PROTECT YOU AS WELL AS US AND TO LAY OUT EVERYTHING SO WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME PAGE WITH REGARDS TO THE PROCESS FOR PURCHASING YOUR VEHICLE. MENTION THAT YOU GOT TO THIS POINT AND WE WILL INCLUDE A FREE FLAT SCREEN TV WITH YOUR VEHICLE AS A THANK YOU FOR BEING A RESPONSIBLE BUYER! (MUST BE MENTIONED UPON INITIAL CONTACT OF SALE)

Be sure to ask for your free TV also

at the very bottom of the page the fine print it reads
PEOPLE RARELY READ THE FINE PRINT, WE PUT IT HERE TO PROTECT YOU AS WELL AS US AND TO LAY OUT EVERYTHING SO WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME PAGE WITH REGARDS TO THE PROCESS FOR PURCHASING YOUR VEHICLE. MENTION THAT YOU GOT TO THIS POINT AND WE WILL INCLUDE A FREE FLAT SCREEN TV WITH YOUR VEHICLE AS A THANK YOU FOR BEING A RESPONSIBLE BUYER! (MUST BE MENTIONED UPON INITIAL CONTACT OF SALE)
Oh ya!!!! Love this site!

No idea if this car is any good or not but I've bought expensive things on eBay (timeshares) and it's always worked out for me. The key is to know the product better than the people selling it.

Good luck with your Tesla shopping and happy holidays :D

When I click that ebay link I get a page that says no car is being sold... just the battery... wtf? The car in the picture is in horrible shape, so this cant be right...
I saw that at first too. It shows a "similar" item since that auction already ended.. If you look at the top of the page for the View Original Item link, it leads to the actual item purchased: 2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

• Helpful
Reactions: demundus and brkaus
Looks a bit expensive, but other than that I see no issue with the purchase. It is from a dealer.

This is a 40kWh model. Looks like:
No DC charging - no supercharging or CHAdeMO charging. May be able to have Tesla add it.
No tech package (power liftgate among other things)
No audio upgrade.
No leather seats.
No parking sensors.
No folding mirrors.
No autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Looks a bit expensive, but other than that I see no issue with the purchase. It is from a dealer.

This is a 40kWh model. Looks like:
No DC charging - no supercharging or CHAdeMO charging. May be able to have Tesla add it.
No tech package (power liftgate among other things)
No audio upgrade.
No leather seats.
No parking sensors.
No folding mirrors.
No autopilot.

I see almost all these things on the listing the guy above my last post linked... (tech, leather, dc charging, 90kwh model)

Looks like a base 40kWh car with no options. To add to my previous list: No dual charger, no third row seat, no pano, no air suspension.
I see no issues with purchasing from this dealer - price just seems high to me.

From the listing (emphasis added):

EXTERIOR
Chrome door handles
Body-colored rear bumper w/chrome rub strip
LED brakelights
Chrome side window trim
Perimeter/approach lights
Backlit side-mounted turn signals
Black grille w/chrome surround
Chrome bodyside insert
245/45R19 Goodyear Eagle tires
19" silver alloy wheels
Aluminum roof
Lip spoiler
Body-colored manual-folding heated pwr side mirrors
Rain-sensing adjustable speed wipers
LED rear taillights
Auto projector-beam HID headlamps -inc: LED daytime running lights
Body-colored front bumper
INTERIOR
Front & rear LED maplights
Center armrest w/(2) cupholders
Three-zone auto climate control -inc: micro filter
Remote keyless entry w/remote start
AM/FM/MP3 200-watt stereo -inc: HD radio, 17-inch touchscreen, dual USB ports, WiFi-enabled, 500-song flash storage, (7) speakers, clock, aux audio jack, voice activation, wireless streaming, Bluetooth
Piano black decor accents
Black, Fabric seat trim
12V pwr outlet
8-way pwr-adjustable front seats
Fully trimmed cargo area w/keyless open -inc: concealed storage, cargo net
Rear window defroster
Full floor console w/covered storage
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
Cloth/leatherette front bucket seats
Anti-theft system w/immobilizer
Pwr windows w/one-touch up/down -inc: pinch protection
60/40 split fold-down rear seats
3-spoke pwr-adjustable tilt/telescoping steering wheel
Cruise control
Instrumentation -inc: traction battery level, trip computer, outside temp gauge, systems monitor, compass
Auto pwr door locks
Full carpet floor covering w/carpeted floor mats
MECHANICAL
Microprocessor-controlled 40 kWh lithium-ion battery
Rear-wheel drive
Drive inverter w/variable frequency drive
Speed-sensitive rack-&-pinion electronic pwr steering
10kW on-board charger w/universal mobile connector -inc: 110V/240V/J1772 adapters
Independent multi-link coil-spring rear suspension
Front/rear anti-roll bars
Single-speed fixed gear transmission
Double-wishbone virtual axis coil spring front suspension
3-phase 4-pole AC induction motor w/copper rotor
Regenerative 4-wheel ventilated ceramic disc brakes -inc: electronic parking brake
SAFETY
Rollover & crash sensor disconnects high-voltage circuits
Dual-stage driver/front-passenger airbags
Three-point second-row seat belts
First/second-row head curtain airbags
Front-seat airbag occupant sensors
Backup camera
Rear door child safety locks
Front knee & pelvis airbags
4-wheel anti-lock brakes
(3) second-row LATCH child seat anchors
Dual-stage driver/front passenger seat-mounted side airbags
Inside trunk safety release
Electronic stability control
Traction control
Tire pressure monitor

The picture shows a 90 on the back, they didn't have 90 batteries in 2013. The VIN however indicates an 85KWh battery, but if listing says 40KWh that could mean someone swapped in a 60 limitted to 40? Something isn't right.

EDIT: just noticed the listing says Tesla swapped in a 90 battery, which is possible if the original 85 died (this is s 2/2013 model).

fake90.png

Last edited:
The picture shows a 90 on the back, they didn't have 90 batteries in 2013. The VIN however indicates an 85KWh battery, but if listing says 40KWh that could mean they swapped it?

View attachment 357871
Windows stick said 40kWh, but from listing
-Upgraded battery pack (Tesla changed out for a 90)!

To confirm: 71 miles remaining on 1/5 of a pack:
90pack.PNG