Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help - Looking for someone who ordered a Model Y in Canada in June 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to sound strange and sorry for a long story in advance but I have a minor pricing dispute with Tesla and I thought I will reach out to the community for help in getting this resolved,

After 3 years of long wait, I was finally contacted by Tesla to pick up my Model Y. Wasn't given even a 24 hours notice though. I immediately arranged funds and went to pick it up. However, while reviewing the final papers I noticed that I was charged for Solid Black Color which I am sure was free in June 2019 that is when I ordered it. I escalated this issue and was told by multiple people, that I have a choice to pick up the car or risk my order since it is marked for auto cancellation. Now considering I was going to lose 13K based on the new price vs old price I decided to not risk it.

However, after the delivery, I was asked for feedback and this is something I mentioned and now I am contacted by the delivery manager to try and get this resolved. He asked me to prove that the price when I ordered was different then what I got the car for now. I am surprised since I would assume that they should have all of this in their system. I looked up my original order agreement and it doesn't have the final price since Model Y was in the preordering phase at that time.

I have since sent him several articles to prove my point for e.g.:

This is the link to Elon Musk's tweet about change of the price on Black color to prove that black was free:
Here is another tweet from August 2019, stating the actual change of White being the new free color:
This is the article about the original Model Y pricing before release, I too reserved my Model Y before it was released. You will notice it mentions the price of old price of Model Y and also that Solid Black is free. Tesla Model Y Unveiled: Specs, Release Date, Pricing from $64,000 in Canada [u] | iPhone in Canada Blog

This is another article with similar information: Tesla Model Y Canadian Pricing Info, Will Start at $64,000 - Motor Illustrated

This is another article about the price increase, which mentions previous price: Tesla Model Y pre-order price goes up over $2,000 in Canada – TEC NEWS

The Tesla delivery manager agreed that my concerns are valid but they need time to look into it. In the meanwhile, I thought, I will reach out to the community and ask:

If there is someone who placed an order for Black Model Y in June 2019 in Canada, do you mind sharing some proof of your final price before taxes please? This would help me save approximately 3K in cost and taxes.

Thanks in advance!

Go to the internet way back machine and put in the address Design Your Model Y | Tesla
quick glance shows order a model Y in July 2019 shows black as the default free option.

However, tesla will price your car based on when you completed the final configuration, not when you placed the order originally. The ”keep original price/order book feature set” thing is only something they implemented rather recently

Reactions: Jayohee
Go to the internet way back machine and put in the address Design Your Model Y | Tesla
quick glance shows order a model Y in July 2019 shows black as the default free option.

However, tesla will price your car based on when you completed the final configuration, not when you placed the order originally. The ”keep original price/order book feature set” thing is only something they implemented rather recently
So, I had completed the final configuration with the original order but they are not able to validate that black was free on that day for some reason and need some proof. The order confirmation I received, just has the configuration I entered and no pricing info.