Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help on a question on fitting 2 bikes in the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After doing a lot of research it was clear that people love the Kuat and QuickrStuff, and for 3-4 bikes or e-bikes you might want something that solid. But for 2 small street bikes they seemed like overkill, and I wanted something that was easy to remove.

I got this Vibrelli 2-bike hitch rack for only $289! (plus tax)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B5M9C4R/ref=ox_sc_rp_title_rp_1

Given the price delta I was not expecting much, and pretty much planned to return it. However, I have found myself extremely pleased with it. It's perfect for our light bikes. Easy to install and remove, with a tightener to prevent jiggling and a lock to make it non-trivial to pull and walk away with. I've been very pleased.

69658101392__E3B48173-0E34-4BC6-AC3D-C42C7500DB01.jpeg

I'm getting a MY with tow package on Friday and plan on using it for my two eBikes. My rack is 46 lbs and my eBikes are 62 and 65 lbs, bringing the total weight to 173 lbs. But my eBikes also have 8.5 lb batteries, which I will always remove before loading the bikes. The 17 lbs will bring the weight down to 156 lbs, which is just below the 160 lbs. I personally think the 160 is a conservative number and there is no way I would ever attempt to load those two beasts into the back. Not only because it would be extremely tedious and frustrating, if even possible, but because I am certain both my bikes and Model Y would get damaged.

Also, some eBike locks can get over 5 lbs, so keep those in the back of your car while transporting. You are fine locking up the bikes when parked, since weight related damage will typically only happen when you hit large bumps, etc.
That's why I bought the optional tow hitch pkg. A short guy like me will have difficulty putting our 2 ebikes inside the Y if it even fit. I have yet to haul our bikes with the Y.
Most of the times, I put the large ebike batteries inside the vehicle.I usually use a lighter weight lock cable when I use our bike rack; motorcycle chain and lock when using public bike racks. Boy, you're right- that motorcycle cable is heavy!
I'm getting a MY with tow package on Friday and plan on using it for my two eBikes. My rack is 46 lbs and my eBikes are 62 and 65 lbs, bringing the total weight to 173 lbs. But my eBikes also have 8.5 lb batteries, which I will always remove before loading the bikes. The 17 lbs will bring the weight down to 156 lbs, which is just below the 160 lbs. I personally think the 160 is a conservative number and there is no way I would ever attempt to load those two beasts into the back. Not only because it would be extremely tedious and frustrating, if even possible, but because I am certain both my bikes and Model Y would get damaged.

Also, some eBike locks can get over 5 lbs, so keep those in the back of your car while transporting. You are fine locking up the bikes when parked, since weight related damage will typically only happen when you hit large bumps, etc.
I will have difficulty putting those heavy ebikes inside. That's why I bought the optional tow hitch. I use a ratchet strap and light weight cable/lock when hauling em. I use the heavy motorcycle chain-lock when using public bike rack. Yes, that chain is heavy. So as the batteries. Just like you, I put them inside the vehicle. I have yet used our Y hauling the ebikes.
Here's our setup- eahora bikes(72- mile range!) and $150 ebike rack from amazon. Last trip was Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe/Truckee. No issues.
I am looking forward to reading more tips here. Happy riding!

Attachments

• 20230212_144054.jpg
    20230212_144054.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 84
I bought the lightest bike rack I could find (yakima four-timer) and I'm just not going to worry about being a few pound over the 'cantilevered' limit. I suppose if i ever have a full rack and will be going on dirt roads (remember - no off-roading) I might 'tie' the rack to the roof rack. I used to do that with my rack on my prius - I had the 'hatch clips' that grabbed the top of the hatch and went down to the rack vertical. (I suppose I really don't care about ratings - the prius had NO tow rating yet I still put ~150lbs of bikes and rack on it..)

edit add: I'm carrying 'normal' bikes. ebikes are heavier.

Last edited:
This is my setup with a 1UP USA "Super Duty Double" rack. I love the rack but am concerned with the lack of visibility to my brake lights when both bikes are installed. I don't want to get rear ended and, if it happened, don't want any insurance disputes do to the lack of brake visibility. I ended up ordering an adhesive LED strip for brakes and turn signals, which I will place onto 1UP's e-bike ramp accessory that installs on to the lower two bolts. The LED lights will then connect into Tesla's 7-pin connector.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 85
This is my setup with a 1UP USA "Super Duty Double" rack. I love the rack but am concerned with the lack of visibility to my brake lights when both bikes are installed. I don't want to get rear ended and, if it happened, don't want any insurance disputes do to the lack of brake visibility. I ended up ordering an adhesive LED strip for brakes and turn signals, which I will place onto 1UP's e-bike ramp accessory that installs on to the lower two bolts. The LED lights will then connect into Tesla's 7-pin connector.
That's a good💡. Do you have the link for the LED strip? I might also install a rear license plate holder.

That's a good💡. Do you have the link for the LED strip? I might also install a rear license plate holder.
I ordered this adhesive LED strip, along with a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter and cable/wire organizer:

Your bike rack will need a good place to display it, however. I fortunately have a removable bike ramp that will be perfect on the back end. 1UP also makes a brake light attachment, but thought it was too pricey at $200+.

Last edited:
On Tesla's Canadian site they give the weight in kg (72) so I do not think it is a typo. Tongue weight (straight vertical load) is very different from a cantilevered weight from a bike rack.
well, there's still the possibility someone made the kilo/lb error on the first doc on the US page and then the next person propagated it.

Pulling any batteries off makes sense regardless. If some jerk manages to break the lock, make them pedal away at full effort.

I ordered this adhesive LED strip, along with a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter and cable/wire organizer:

Your bike rack will need a good place to display it, however. I fortunately have a removable bike ramp that will be perfect on the back end. 1UP also makes a brake light attachment, but thought it was too pricey at $200+.
Ah! I had that with my truck. It was bright and easy to install. I never thought to use one on my rack until I saw your post. Ty

Is the tow hitch thing user friendly or do you need to be experienced? Tow hitch seems like a cool idea but I don't know how long much time I will have to invest each time to put that thing on.
It's simple with bike racks. Most especially if the bike rack is very light. If the rack is heavy, then you might need assistance. Tops, depending on the setup, you would be done in less than 15 minutes with 2 bikes. Another 15 mins to unhook the bikes, the bike rack.
Check out youtube....

Will it be an issue using a supercharger station while the hitch bike rack mounted? Mine sticks out approx 34" from the rear bumper. So far I've only used SC twice and never paid attention to the rear clearance. I hope the charging cable is long enough. Otherwise it would be a pita to dismount the ebikes and bike rack.

The Kody Lightbar with a quality mount is pretty nice: https://www.kodytechnologies.com/product-page/1up

Reactions: JCLJorgenson
Will it be an issue using a supercharger station while the hitch bike rack mounted? Mine sticks out approx 34" from the rear bumper. So far I've only used SC twice and never paid attention to the rear clearance. I hope the charging cable is long enough. Otherwise it would be a pita to dismount the ebikes and bike rack.
no issue. Multiple stops at SC having two ebikes. My bike rack is 1up using a hitch extender so it sticks out more.

Reactions: justlikeyours
you prob can but i actually believe the true weight limit is 350 i believe tesla made a mistake writing it as 160kg to 350 pounds total seen plenty of model Ys with two 65 pound ebikes on the hitch no issues.
Agreed here. Believe the correct tongue weight is 350lbs. I saw this in several places before deciding to ordering my Model Y with the tow hitch. As the primary reason I will use it is to carry 1 or 2 bikes.

Too much work putting the ebikes inside rather than using the bike rack. The only disadvantage of using the bike rack is affected range. Been using my MYLR since March with two ebikes. No issue from my recent MTB trip from San Diego to Palm Canyon trails.
View attachment 901247
View attachment 901248

Best car.
Best rack.

I love the 1up Quick racks so much.. I've bought the single & dual version. These are buy-it-for-life type quality.