Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help opening frunk in 2016 with dead 12V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK - long story short, pulled MCU to get eMMC repaired. In the process, 12V died. Frunk is closed.
What I've tried
1) Pulled nose cone to connect 12V charger. Oh, there's no positive terminal there anymore.
2) tried searching for every possible hidden frunk opening cable
-- behind wheel wells (nothing on either side)
-- under glove box (nothing)
-- somewhere behind nose cone (nothing)

March 2016 production. Clearly the month Tesla said, let's not put any frunk cables in

I can see the latch mechanism, and can see how to move the secondary latch, but no clue how to get the primary latch open. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Photo is what I can see of the latch mechanism.

Attachments

• IMG_6745.JPG
    IMG_6745.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 171
I installed a jump point on the steel cross beam using the threaded holes that used to be the positive jump connector. My car is pre-refresh 2016. I can manipulate the two latches to open the frunk but it is brutal when it is below freezing.

@ ucmndd -- thank you, but I can't seem to match up what's in the photo on page 24. I don't have a cable coming from the left (and there's not one that I can see in the "rear of the nosecone") -- I'm really starting to wonder if I even have a Tesla.... Nothing is matching up

@murphy - how did you manipulate the two latches? that's what I'm hoping to do...

@ ucmndd -- thank you, but I can't seem to match up what's in the photo on page 24. I don't have a cable coming from the left (and there's not one that I can see in the "rear of the nosecone") -- I'm really starting to wonder if I even have a Tesla.... Nothing is matching up

@murphy - how did you manipulate the two latches? that's what I'm hoping to do...
It's been 4 years since Tesla taught me how to do it and I haven't done it since then. You are not pulling on cables. The latches have semicircular surfaces. The primary latch is pulled to the left. The secondary latch is pulled to the right.

Detailed hood opening instructions for 2016 model S that has a nosecone.

Remove the nosecone. It's held by standard automotive spring clips. Pull straight toward you.

Insert left hand below the wire loom and reach up to find the horizontal release cable.
Follow the cable to the right until you reach the metal piece it is attached to.
Continue going to the right until you feel the edge of the metal.
Wrap your finger over the edge and pull left.
The hood will pop up.
Remove your left hand from the car.
Insert right hand above the wire loom and place index finger in line with the center attachment hole for the nosecone.
Locate a curved surface and move it to the right as far as it will go. It will move easily with very little pressure.
Nothing will happen.
While still holding the secondary release use your left hand to raise the hood.
Remove you right hand from the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak