Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help ordering my M3 Performance..!!!

What should I do?

• Get my M3 performance at the end of September (or slightly earlier) with chrome trim

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • bump myself out till Q4 (likely Dec) with hopes of getting the black trim

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last weekend I ordered a Model 3 Performance (black - 3/5 weeks for delivery)...then on Tuesday, there was this article (link below) about China changing the M3 trim to black.

I spoke with my sales person at Tesla and they're saying, "We don't know if/when this would be coming, at this point. However if you'd like to have us make you ineligible to match until Dec, we can do that". This would essentially give me time to see how things play out but unsure if this change will actually happen.

Essentially there's two options:

1) Get my M3 performance at the end of September (or slightly earlier) with chrome trim
2) bump myself out till Q4 (likely Dec) with hopes of getting the black trim (if it happens, however I feel like it's superrr likely)

What would you do? Is the black trim worth waiting 3 months?

Article: Tesla is bringing chrome delete to Model 3 - Electrek

yeah just looking for opinions on what others would do...I'm struggling to make a decision

I think its personal too, but a number of things can change, rumors about a heat pump coming to the M3 too, also battery day soon and could hear something then. But how long do you wait? They will keep changing and improving the car, maybe a heads up display at some point, or a 100Kwh battery. The heat pump, the heads up displays and 100Kwh battery are biggies for me, but I want a long range electric car with super chargers before half term so we can do a road trip.

So, how quickly do YOU want/need the car? Is your current car dying? Do you not have a car and need one? As everyone else said up to you, the longer you wait the better the car will get, and other options are also coming out this year, most car companies will bring out rivals.

None of this is different from say a BMW, which has changes and improvements.

Not sure that helps.... but..

yeah just looking for opinions on what others would do...I'm struggling to make a decision

Threads like this confuse me (like threads saying "what color car should I buy?"). Doesnt this depend almost exclusively on:

1. How soon you need a car (what impact, if any, is there to you for waiting until end of year)?
2. How much you like, or dislike the chrome trim.
3. Your appetite or desire to either spend money to get a professional chrome delete done, or do it yourself.

How does people online saying "well I would wait" or "well "I" would get it now!" help someone make a decision on whether they like the chrome trim themselves, or want to wait to see if there are changes made here?

If there is no impact to you waiting, and you dont like the chrome trim, then there is no harm in waiting, right? If there is some impact to you waiting (leased car going back, only have 1 car now and need another one, etc etc) then decide if the impact outweights your dislike of the trim and act accordingly.

How does anyone elses opinion on trim or not help with this decision?

Wait.

If you’re already torn, you are unlikely to ever regret waiting to see if the changes materialize in the next few months. However, if the looming changes to the M3 are made somewhat soon, it sounds like you could regret not having the patience.

Get the chrome trim.

That way, when it comes time to sell the car, if an old guy looks at it and says something like, "Well, I like the car, but I just don't like all the black trim" you can show him the chrome underneath the chrome delete kit. He'll buy the car at that point.

Source: I'm old.

Seriously, though, this is a decision for you to make.

As long as you make the right one.

And buy the car now. ;)

Just have to ask yourself if you're willing to wait until December for the chance that they have the chrome delete standard by then. I'm in the same boat as you where I'd love to have it standard, but I want my car now. I'm just going to do the chrome delete myself which I did with my last car.

So last weekend I ordered a Model 3 Performance (black - 3/5 weeks for delivery)...then on Tuesday, there was this article (link below) about China changing the M3 trim to black.

I spoke with my sales person at Tesla and they're saying, "We don't know if/when this would be coming, at this point. However if you'd like to have us make you ineligible to match until Dec, we can do that". This would essentially give me time to see how things play out but unsure if this change will actually happen.

Essentially there's two options:

1) Get my M3 performance at the end of September (or slightly earlier) with chrome trim
2) bump myself out till Q4 (likely Dec) with hopes of getting the black trim (if it happens, however I feel like it's superrr likely)

What would you do? Is the black trim worth waiting 3 months?

I would wait, get the black on black on black.. Maybe even denser batteries after battery day... and user my referral code :)

I wouldn’t wait. Several reasons. First, you never know what delays there might be towards end of this year due to covid. Gut feel is that we could have major lockdowns in CA, TX, and a few more southern and Midwest states as early as October/November. Second, granted it is a personal choice but I’ve had enough sport cars in my life with black trim as well as ones with chrome trim to 1) absolutely hate how black trim fades over the years (I tend to keep my cars for the long haul) and 2) how poorly either trim choice holds up in high road salt areas (ie winter when those continuous 30 below days preclude car washing). I agree with the previous comment about resale value also...I wouldn’t buy a used car with black trim (I’m old :)) unless I could peel it off. In any case, enjoy your performance. Once I got mine I kicked myself for not test riding a Tesla and getting one even earlier. They can be a bit addictive. Very. Reminds me. Need to take my daily run to Lowe’s to pick up 6 large bags of red mulch. Wife asks why I don’t pick up 10 or more bags at a time so I could make less trips and I just smile at her :).

This issue constantly comes up with Tesla. They have a policy of constant and continous improvements for their cars. Rumors are always posted about something better that is comming this way.
Natural for buyers to want to get the latest and greatest, but reality is that this improvement will never end, and you will most always see something coming out in a couple months that you will want to wait for.

Reality says that you can only order the production configuration that is available on your date of production. That is the only thing you can buy. Very challenging to game the system by delaying and delaying forever.

Video just came out, sales tells this Model Y customer that if he doesn’t place his order by Sept 7th, there will be a 3 month delay after, so this info is in line with Battery Day Sept 22nd. Could this delay mean the installation of a new battery. Like I said before, hold off until after Battery day to see what going to happen.

In other news, Lucid now has a 517 mile range battery and it just did the 1/4 mile at 9.9 seconds breaking the 10 second EV record.

Hopefully this will put a bug in Elon as Lucid shows off their very efficient, very fast charge 113kw battery and leaves Tesla in the Dust.

Fred