Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Outwitting Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never have had autoclose work. Not sure what post you’re conflating here... there are no two scenarios.
Missed the 0% part of that and was sort of responding to the general topic.:oops:

I cannot guess why your car never auto closes if you have the Auto Close checkbox set.

BTW does your car count down the feet/meters as you move away from the garage in the Homelink display window?

Missed the 0% part of that and was sort of responding to the general topic.:oops:

I cannot guess why your car never auto closes if you have the Auto Close checkbox set.

BTW does your car count down the feet/meters as you move away from the garage in the Homelink display window?
Lol, no prob.... like I said, auto-close does actually nothing ever. Zero. Like it doesn’t exist. Which drives me nuts since auto-open works perfectly, chime, countdown, etc.

Go figure!

Lol, no prob.... like I said, auto-close does actually nothing ever. Zero. Like it doesn’t exist. Which drives me nuts since auto-open works perfectly, chime, countdown, etc.
And I think you have done all the following:
  • Toggled the Auto Close checkbox
  • Changed the distance setting
  • Rebooted
Something similar to this happened to me with the headlamps. I had them set to Auto and then they stopped coming on at all. Called service and they could not figure out how to fix it. Turned out just going through the options got it to reset.

I suppose you could have a defective relay that only seems to sense one state.

Did you try this:

If you experience situations in which you
sometimes drive up to your HomeLink Device
and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on
the touchscreen's status bar does not display
the dropdown when you approach the device,
you may need to reset the device's location.
To do so, park as close as possible to the
HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and
display the HomeLink settings page by
touching Controls > Settings > HomeLink.
Choose the name of the programmed device,
and touch Reset Location.

Did you try this:

If you experience situations in which you
sometimes drive up to your HomeLink Device
and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on
the touchscreen's status bar does not display
the dropdown when you approach the device,
you may need to reset the device's location.
To do so, park as close as possible to the
HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and
display the HomeLink settings page by
touching Controls > Settings > HomeLink.
Choose the name of the programmed device,
and touch Reset Location.
Yep. Did everything a few months ago. And how would location reset matter if auto-open works?

Appreciate the suggestions but I’ve seen nothing for dead auto-close and open is perfect.

You might try opening it from inside the car (using the car Homelink) instead of doing it before you get in. See if that makes any difference?

My guess is that the SW in the car is trying t keep track of whether it thinks the door is open or closed, and is confused.

For me the MS auto/open is working 100% of the time, but auto/close never works nor even starts the countdown. The homelink is green and I can click on it to close, but it simply never works for auto/close. The MS doesn't keep track of the state of the garage door. I tested that by driving away a block and the MS never closed the door, but when I circled back around and neared the end of the driveway it tried to auto/open the door and if course it really closed the garage door. So I guess the solution for all of us who are too lazy to hit the virtual button is to circle the block and fake the MS into auto/opening the door to really close it.

This seems like an easy fix, and I wish they would fix it, but I guess it is not as high a priority as other things like maybe speed sensitive music volume! Come on, this has been on much cheaper cars for years!

I have been a tad more observant of how my MX/HomeLink are operating, and I still don't understand.

I have the HL AutoOpen to trigger when I'm 70' from the garage. This always works. Garage door opens, I pull in and park. A time and a half goes by, during which I may open and close the garage door manually (using the opener's wall switch). I do NOT close the garage door from the car.

When I get ready to drive out, I open the garage door from inside the car (using HL).

Mystery #1: How does HL know that the Garage command I click on will open the door? And it must, because of what happens next:

I then back out. Just about the time I clear the door, HL warns me that it will close the door in 10'. As I continue to back it does close the door.

Mystery #2: How/why does HL pick that particular location to issue what it thinks will CLOSE the door? What I would guess that it would do, is issue the auto-close when I left the 70' radius centered on the location I had previously set into the HL. But it doesn't.

When we would get ready to leave, we would step into the garage, and press the door open switch on the wall. Then get into the MX, and back out. As we would leave driveway, the door would not close. We would turn around, come back in the driveway and close the door using HomeLink. Upon return, the door would AutoOpen for us. We would typically close the door using the wall switch.

We have discovered that if, when we're leaving, we use the MX's HomeLink remote to open the garage door, the door will AutoClose correctly as we leave the driveway.

So, the question is, does the car keep track of what it thinks the state of the door is? And only modify that presumed state based on commands it has sent? Or what?

My guess is that the SW in the car is trying t keep track of whether it thinks the door is open or closed, and is confused.

My auto close works 99% of the time (there 'bouts). But it too me a while to find the secret handshake. What works for me.
Check what you are doing when you get in the car.

This was my mistake. I was turning on A/C or increasing the radio volume. Touching the screen or adjusting the volume before I pulled forward and triggered the Homelink auto-close window seemed to stop the auto-close window from appearing. One thing I did was; I stopped turning the A/C fan on.

Right now, I am not connecting to my home wifi. So each time I get in the S, the big "connect to Wifi screen" is up. I press the X to close it. Then when I put the car in Drive to pull forward to the garage door, the auto-close menu comes up. If I close the wifi window, then press the A/C fan on button, the auto-close window does not pop up. And it as I reach the 20 foot limit where it ordinarily would close, it does not close the door.

What are you doing when you get in your car? Are you pressing anything on the screen before you put the car in Drive/Reverse and move toward the door opening? If you are, try not touching the screen. See it if makes a difference.

My best experience with auto-close started when I brought up the Homelink menu, put the car in Drive and pulled forward and just as the top of the center console's Homelink auto-close window came up, I stoppped and pressed the Location reset button. Then closed the center console settings screen. Now, as soon as I put the car in Drive and start pulling forward, the auto-close window pops up.

And reference your question does the car try to keep track if the door is open or closed. Its my understanding that Homelink only sends a signal to the GDO. It doesn't know if the door is open or closed. So maybe the car is trying to keep track? I don't think so, at while back when I was trying learn the secret handshake I tried some silly stuff. I stopped before the Homelink saw my car, and walked up to the door and opened it with my GDO remote. Then went back to the car and drove up. The auto-open window popped up and the signal was sent and the door (that was open already) started closing. I let it close, then backed away and started toward it again. It did nothing. Had to use the remote to open it again.

Then tried it another way. Pulled the car outside using the wall switch to open. Cancelled the auto close. As I pulled away, I opened the door with the car's Homelink button, that I manually pressed. Drove around the block and came back. the door was still open as I approached. When the car got close, the auto-open window came up and the door closed. The car did not know whether the door was open or closed, IMO.

I think that when I touched the screen for anything, it was buffering or the touch screen interpreted my touch as a cancel for the auto-close window before the window even displayed. When I stopped doing anything on the screen the auto-close window comes up.

Last edited:
As we’ve said several times, HL and the car have no idea of the door’s state. It assumes it’s closed when you come home and it should open it. And it it assumes you just drove through it so it should close it when you are leaving. That’s why there’s a ‘skip’ option if it’s not what you want.

I don’t think touching the screen does anything, either. My auto close is now working and all I’ve done is create a separate profile to test out having one to keep the mirrors’ autofold setting in a different state when in the garage. And the autoclose worked even when (1) I didn’t change to a different profile when leaving and (2) after deleting the extra profile when I figured out that it was not needed (manual folding keeps the mirrors folded, doh).

So, seriously, all I did was make an added profile. I’ve been doing engineering and programming for decades. I know how to control variables. This makes no sense. :D

Now when I back out, for the first time ever, I get ‘closing in 10 feet’. Yay. The question is, what did I kick loose adding a profile? All on 17.50.3, btw.

First time I saw it, had GF in the car, and she said, I’m good luck! Who knows....

Interesting discussions. Would sure like to see a discussion of the s/w logic used in the HL support. Why, for instance, when I'm still clearly within 70 feet of the location of the garage door, does it want to close the door at that particular point? When I'm returning to the house, the door gets opened at the foot of the driveway, and I then drive through the exact location where it normally wants to close the door, but HL is silent. Why? What's different between coming home and leaving the garage?

I believe the car's HL s/w probably contains a lot of logic to try to keep track of the door status, based on what the car knows about whether the car has been turned off between HL commands, whether the car is entering the area of control or whether it's leaving it, and perhaps many other decision criteria.

Mainly, I want to know why it closes the door so close to the door as I leave the garage. For quite a while I was concerned that it would close the door while the car was in the garage opening, but that hasn't happened yet. But why not?

I am pretty sure auto open and auto close use GPS locations. As you are leaving the garage, you start from getting very little GPS satellites signal (with no visibility to the sky) to acquiring signal, and at about 70', HL has determined that you are in fact leaving the garage and you are far enough, so it closes the door. When you are coming home, you get constant visibility to the sky and good GPS signal, so it doesn't need to wait until 70' before knowing that you are going toward your garage. That's just my guess.

BTW, you have a long driveway if 70' away from the garage door still have not reach the end of your driveway. :p Everything is bigger in TX? :D

The current GPS modules don't need a clear line of site to the sky, they can read signals through typical wood construction home, so I don't think GPS is the issue. Mine was failing to auto/close most of the time, and I have tried the suggestion from this thread to not touch the screen until auto/close has activated and that seems to fix it. I used to adjust the radio or climate as soon as I got in the car, and it didn't work, but now I don't touch anything until I'm out of the driveway and it works fine almost every time. Strange, but true!

Reactions: Akikiki
The current GPS modules don't need a clear line of site to the sky, they can read signals through typical wood construction home, so I don't think GPS is the issue. Mine was failing to auto/close most of the time, and I have tried the suggestion from this thread to not touch the screen until auto/close has activated and that seems to fix it. I used to adjust the radio or climate as soon as I got in the car, and it didn't work, but now I don't touch anything until I'm out of the driveway and it works fine almost every time. Strange, but true!

No touching the screen seems to help resolve the failure of auto-close to display? Good - Excellent. I am simply trying to emphasize this in case someone missed it. Why does not touching help?

I don't know. But I do remember that sometimes when typing on my phone or my computer, I get a head of with the typing. I mean the device has slowed down or paused and before it gets around to re-responding to my typed characters, they don't show up. but when they do, they are playing catch. Ever noticed this? I think the keystroke was being buffered. The next keystroke was already selected and ready to execute in advance of appearing on the screen. Well, I think that what's happening with the auto-close window is the "skip" command on that window does not need us to actually touch the white part of the "skip" button. Simply touching the screen anywhere is engaging that "skip" button even though we don't want it to do that. It would be nice if a future message appeared in nice bigger bold letters saying "HEY YOU - Yeah YOU, DON'T TOUCH THE SCREEN LESS YOU WANNA CANCEL THE AUTO-CLOSE - GOT IT?" :)

• Funny
Reactions: GMan324
I did a bit more experimenting with the auto close on exit. In my case I always use the garage door opener (GDO) to open the door when not in the Tesla. If I return from a trip and the car auto opens the door I use the GDO to close it after I leave the garage. Then when I return I used the GDO to open the door and get into the Tesla. So the Tesla always thinks the state of the door was were it was last operated. There is no accounting for how many times I may have opened and closed the car with the GDO.

Now for the interesting part:

I back out of my garage. I get the 20 feet countdown as I am pulling out. I have to make a three point turn to reverse course. If I am the sole occupant in the car the Tesla usually closes the door before I stop to reverse course. If I am going to load passengers I usually stop when the countdown is at 5 feet. I put the car in park and let in the passengers. I then put the car in reverse and continue backwards to my turn around spot. When I move from Park to Reverse the counter resumes at 20%, not the 5% it was when I put the car in park. At the turn around I have used about 10 feet of my new 20 foot countdown. I place the car in Drive and again the countdown returns to 20 feet. Now proceeding forward down my driveway the counter reduces to 0 feet and usually beeps and closes the door. This is where I COULD have issues. Sometimes it doesn't beep and sometimes it beeps but does not close the door. At a certain point I expect the beep and if I don't hear it I manually close the door from the Tesla. If I hear the beep I verify the door is in motion via the rear view mirror.

About 95% of the time this works correctly. I am not sure what causes it not to work 100% of the time.

I did a bit more experimenting with the auto close on exit. In my case I always use the garage door opener (GDO) to open the door when not in the Tesla. If I return from a trip and the car auto opens the door I use the GDO to close it after I leave the garage. Then when I return I used the GDO to open the door and get into the Tesla. So the Tesla always thinks the state of the door was were it was last operated. There is no accounting for how many times I may have opened and closed the car with the GDO.

Now for the interesting part:

I back out of my garage. I get the 20 feet countdown as I am pulling out. I have to make a three point turn to reverse course. If I am the sole occupant in the car the Tesla usually closes the door before I stop to reverse course. If I am going to load passengers I usually stop when the countdown is at 5 feet. I put the car in park and let in the passengers. I then put the car in reverse and continue backwards to my turn around spot. When I move from Park to Reverse the counter resumes at 20%, not the 5% it was when I put the car in park. At the turn around I have used about 10 feet of my new 20 foot countdown. I place the car in Drive and again the countdown returns to 20 feet. Now proceeding forward down my driveway the counter reduces to 0 feet and usually beeps and closes the door. This is where I COULD have issues. Sometimes it doesn't beep and sometimes it beeps but does not close the door. At a certain point I expect the beep and if I don't hear it I manually close the door from the Tesla. If I hear the beep I verify the door is in motion via the rear view mirror.

About 95% of the time this works correctly. I am not sure what causes it not to work 100% of the time.

This is a very interesting situation. I think you are unique in that you must make your three-point turn/exit. If I were you, I'd try a little tweak or adjustment. I would move my car to the point where you have completed your three-point exit, are back in drive and ready to drive forward. Then. Stop, put the car in Park, and press the reset location button under Homelink. I believe this is the point where you would prefer your car starts the trigger that begins the distance countdown to close (20 feet). If that does not improve your success, I'd back up about 5 or if possible 10 feet in the second part of your three-point exit and press the reset. It seems you need the beginning or trigger for the auto close to occur after your are out of your garage, not pulling out of your garage.

Very interesting situation. Your short experiment might arm us with more information of what or when to trigger the auto close.
Cost nothing to try. Worth a shot?