Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help regarding new Premium Interior and Lighting Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 2 days away from finalizing my order. I am getting grey next gen seats, obeche matte inserts, but am agonizing between white and black headliner.

I like the black better. I am potentially even willing to fork over the $3k extra for it (because the premium package is required). However, on the earlier premium interiors that I have seen, there is Alcantara on the dash as well. I am sure some like it and some don't, but I really do not like it. The configuration guide mentions nappa leather on the dash now. I have discussed with two sales reps from Tesla, and have gotten varying responses.

So, I was hoping someone here could answer this question. For those with the new Premium interior and lighting package (after early April, 2015), what does the dash in front of the driver and passenger look like? Is there any Alcantara?

Thanks in advance!!

I am 2 days away from finalizing my order. I am getting grey next gen seats, obeche matte inserts, but am agonizing between white and black headliner.

I like the black better. I am potentially even willing to fork over the $3k extra for it (because the premium package is required). However, on the earlier premium interiors that I have seen, there is Alcantara on the dash as well. I am sure some like it and some don't, but I really do not like it. The configuration guide mentions nappa leather on the dash now. I have discussed with two sales reps from Tesla, and have gotten varying responses.

So, I was hoping someone here could answer this question. For those with the new Premium interior and lighting package (after early April, 2015), what does the dash in front of the driver and passenger look like? Is there any Alcantara?

Thanks in advance!!
My 85D with the premium package was delivered April 29th and has alcantara on the dash. There is a very small area in front of the driver that is not alcantara, probably the same as whatever you see in a showroom.

The Napa on the dash probably refers to the lower dash, which gets upgraded to leather as part of the package.

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:
I have grey next gen, premium package, with the black headliner. I took delivery in May. There is Alcantara in front of the driver and the front part of the dash. The black headliner, looks awesome. In my opinion, way better than the lighter one.

I got the light alcantara. I thought I would like the black better, but after having a service loaner MS for 2 days that had black, I found it really bothered me. I think every car I have ever owned had tan, light blue or light grey on the pillars and headliner. My experience, YMMV.

The loaner I am driving right now has gray seats and standard headliner, which is a bit more warm/creamier than the alcantara. Unless staring directly at the B-pillar, it doesn't look at all out of place and it blends in well otherwise. The white alcantara should do even better. Previous reports have been that you can order then have someone notate on the back-end system to give you the leather dash instead. I would imagine this is still possible. Personally, I also prefer the all-leather dash like my car has, but I could live with it the alcantara. Just as a side note in case you weren't aware, the dash alcantara (if included) is always black, even if you get the white alcantara headliner.

Thanks for the help. Still undecided, but much less confused.

Nevek- thanks for the photo. It is the first that I have seen that actually shows the texture of Alcantara. I do think it looks nice, just not my cup of tea.

Cyclone- I was wondering if I could have them keep the dash leather. If I decide to go with Black, I will make sure they can do this. Great suggestion!

John and Drucifier- my internal debate continues. The car may look dark with the black headliner, but I have black throughout on a convertible currently, and with the top up I don't mind it. Pano will also lighten it up. But the lighter feel of white may make an everyday car more pleasant. Decisions!! If they can make the dash without alcantara, I will find a showroom with cars having both and make a decision. I don't think I will be unhappy with either, just for almost 100k, I want to have as few regrets as possible.

I had forgotten that I once had a 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible that had charcoal grey A pillars and a charcoal top lining on the inside and charcoal top header. And that never bothered me. Maybe I had just gotten used to my light colored A pillar Model S.

I think it's one of those things where you really notice it when you are comparing the two (relatively) "side-by-side", but either works great when they stand on their own in your driveway.

Thanks for the help. Still undecided, but much less confused.

Nevek- thanks for the photo. It is the first that I have seen that actually shows the texture of Alcantara. I do think it looks nice, just not my cup of tea.

Cyclone- I was wondering if I could have them keep the dash leather. If I decide to go with Black, I will make sure they can do this. Great suggestion!

John and Drucifier- my internal debate continues. The car may look dark with the black headliner, but I have black throughout on a convertible currently, and with the top up I don't mind it. Pano will also lighten it up. But the lighter feel of white may make an everyday car more pleasant. Decisions!! If they can make the dash without alcantara, I will find a showroom with cars having both and make a decision. I don't think I will be unhappy with either, just for almost 100k, I want to have as few regrets as possible.

I have black alcantara headliner with the pano and had concerns about it being too dark, which is not the case at all. With so much glass on the roof, isn't an issue for me. Perhaps without the pano it may be.

Can you get to a showroom and look for yourself?

I have black alcantara headliner with the pano and had concerns about it being too dark, which is not the case at all. With so much glass on the roof, isn't an issue for me. Perhaps without the pano it may be.

Can you get to a showroom and look for yourself?

I am going to try. They haven't had a grey interior with black headliner in the past. I will get a better idea with black/black though. Thanks for the advice.

I am going to try. They haven't had a grey interior with black headliner in the past. I will get a better idea with black/black though. Thanks for the advice.

My local showroom has black/black and it looks too dark. Almost made me reconsider getting the black headliner. Black headliner + tan interior doesn't look too dark, IMO. I've never seen a black/grey though.

​I am getting the black headliner with the grey interior. I think the bit of alcantara on the dash adds a touch of much-needed luxury to the model S interior.

When I ordered back at the end of March, the power lift gate was part of the tech package, this is no longer the case, but if I had to, I would spend $3000 for this alone. it is IMHO worth the entire cost of the premium interior.

the car I test drove had standard grey interior without the lighting and I was OK with the quality of the leather.

back on topic:

I do not think the black headliner makes the model S too dark. and I was concerned about this as well when I was playing around with the config.

YMMV.

I have black and tan and love it. Had tan/tan previously and switched to the black. It does make the cockpit feel darker, but I think it's cozier darker not a confined darker. Plus, I think the black will resist stains and looks classier than the tan.

Which dash is easier to clean? The alcantara styled one or can you get a dash that is straight leather (I think this is mentioned above). Seems like alcantara would be a pain to get clean. Not talking about coffee spills (still a possibility) just general dust.

...we will let you know...picking up a S70D Obsidian with black next-gen leather seats and black Alcantara (but got them to delete the Alcantara on the dash and install leather). We did get the pano roof, so hopefully will open it up a bit. News later....

...we will let you know...picking up a S70D Obsidian with black next-gen leather seats and black Alcantara (but got them to delete the Alcantara on the dash and install leather). We did get the pano roof, so hopefully will open it up a bit. News later....

Congratulations! Let me know about the black interior. I made it out to a dealership (store?) today. The black alcantara is darker than typical car plastics, which will probably be dark, but very cool. The alcantara didn't bother me too much today. How did you get them to delete the alcantara on the dash and install leather? Did you discuss with salesperson, DS, or HQ? I haven't found posts on the forum yet, but will continue to search.