Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEED HELP Tesla model S 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, what's the asking price. But again, remember this is an electric. Other than normal battery degradation (5% first year, 1% thereafter), electric motors don't wear anywhere near as fast as the thousand vibrating, pulsing, swishing, rotating, hammering parts in a gas engine, so your 142K miles is not comparable to the same miles on a gas car. The biggest worry about any EV is battery health, and Tesla has gone overboard to keep the battery pack happy with its own AC and heater. I haven't heard of any Tesla dying from high mileage yet, and my earlier two cars I sold with over 100K miles on them, running like new. I just wanted the newer software and other cool stuff.

Hope you get a good deal. I sold my last two Model Ss for around $40K each, and the owners are still driving them. I know others have sold their high mileage Teslas for more. My daughter just bought a used 3 for about the same.

As far as "full service history", you'll find there is not much service required, and "service history" would therefore be very scarce. Windshield wipers get old, cabin air filters might need changing (never did mine), and if you do your own "service", there won't be any history anyway. It's not like a gas car where you want to make sure the oil got changed every so often. My two Model Ss never saw a dealer, because there is NO SERVICE. If it drives quiet and smooth, it's probably just fine. And if you need to replace something (??) just figure the cost of repair as part of the price.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AMPd
Thanks guys, I’m used to v8 muscle cars and just can’t wrap my head around 142k miles. Probably because I’ve never owned electric. The seller claims the only things that were serviced is tires, a set of brakes, etc. Nothing computer related. I want the model 3 but for now I can only afford the older Model S. I appreciate the info.

I'd say the sweet spot for a pre-refresh Model S would be a mid-2015 or later as you will get AP1, next gen seats, and the revised drive motors. It might be possible to get AP1 hardware on a 2014 but it was option at that point and not standard. Price would be closer to $45k though which puts it in the same range as a Model 3 I believe and for that money, I'd probably go for the 3.

In all honesty, with 142k miles, I would be shocked if the drive unit wasn't replaced at least once in the 2013. If you can get it for closer to $17k, it would probably be a decent buy.

How much driving (e.g. range) would you anticipate needing?

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'd say the sweet spot for a pre-refresh Model S would be a mid-2015 or later as you will get AP1, next gen seats, and the revised drive motors. It might be possible to get AP1 hardware on a 2014 but it was option at that point and not standard. Price would be closer to $45k though which puts it in the same range as a Model 3 I believe and for that money, I'd probably go for the 3.

In all honesty, with 142k miles, I would be shocked if the drive unit wasn't replaced at least once in the 2013. If you can get it for closer to $17k, it would probably be a decent buy.

How much driving (e.g. range) would you anticipate needing?
I would anticipate at minimum 30 miles a day for 6 days a week with the maybe an 88 mile drive home for holidays. I’m a new college student and my current 10 mpg is killing me. I’ll try to get more information on the drive unit. Is there any other things that you can remember about why the 2013 s failed early on?

Free Supercharging is transferable as long as its a private sale. As a pervious 2014 P85 owner I would recommend against getting the older model cars they have quite a few areas that are known to fail. Most of which have been solved for the most part in the 2015+ model years. I know the 2013 is quite cheap but remember these cars are not cheap to fix since basically all your options for fixes are through Tesla. I would definitely save up for a 2015+ model you will definitely not regret it

Free Supercharging is transferable as long as its a private sale. As a pervious 2014 P85 owner I would recommend against getting the older model cars they have quite a few areas that are known to fail. Most of which have been solved for the most part in the 2015+ model years. I know the 2013 is quite cheap but remember these cars are not cheap to fix since basically all your options for fixes are through Tesla. I would definitely save up for a 2015+ model you will definitely not regret it
I agree that a 2015+ Model S will generally be more reliable, however, you could also argue that this specific 2013 Model S with 142K miles has already shown high reliability and is unlikely to have issues at this point in its lifespan.

That is assuming that the previous owner(s) replaced parts that failed
According to the seller:

Thanks guys, I’m used to v8 muscle cars and just can’t wrap my head around 142k miles. Probably because I’ve never owned electric.
The seller claims the only things that were serviced is tires, a set of brakes, etc. Nothing computer related.
I want the model 3 but for now I can only afford the older Model S. I appreciate the info.