Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help to decide which Model S to purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
please help me decide. I was thinking to buy a used P100D model for around $60-65k. I'm looking at listings and prices for last couple months and these money could get me 2016-2018 model with around 30-40k miles. Is there anything specific to look for when checking out the car? I read somewhere newer 2020 long range model would be better choice, is that right? I just dont see 2020 models for around that price yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase though.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks.

We are in the same boat. After personally witnessing a defective MYP with only 2000mi at a dealer (doors, bumper, misaligned second row seatbacks, cracks in wheel well liner) and finding no practical use for the fixed parcel shelf M3 I am steering towards the MS again to replace my old trusty 2015 MS.

Of course you will not find a 2020, and if you do, count on it being over 80k. This is because production halted and Elon's Lucid 69k joke went down very well with the fans, my neighbor unlike me did not hesitate and he is now driving a beautiful 2021 with all the fancy new air suspension and all.

Still, IMHO waiting for the September refresh launch makes sense, as these will have:

1. Rapid charging like the MY/3.
2. Better battery tech and range with super low drag co.
3. Better in cab ergonomics.
4. Yoke with proportional 180deg only steering, mehopes:)

IMHO I will wait until cca. 2022-23 for the feeding frenzy at the beginning of the season to subside, and some attractively priced examples to show up on the used market. Then of course I will have to test drive Lucid and Xpeng, but only if something magic happens to the crummy US Level 3 Combo CCS networks.
I also secretely wish the Taycan follows the Panamera in used pricing discounts.

Right now, assuming as a non-EV owner you are itching to get into one, an old trusty 2020 M3 LR with $2k uncorked mod and no octovalve heat pump to screw up your AC is a safe way to go to keep the upgrade bug at bay until the big boat arrives, especially if you plan on long distance travel, both because of the SC network and super fast charging tech in these cars. MY is too sought after and IMHO other than giving you more space is just a bloated up M3 without any trunk safety, at least for the M3 you can buy a $45 rear backrest lock rear quarter window smasher deter sticker on Etsy. The M3 is also a lot more fun to drive than the MY.

Last edited:
We are in the same boat. After personally witnessing a defective MYP with only 2000mi at a dealer (doors, bumper, misaligned second row seatbacks, cracks in wheel well liner) and finding no practical use for the fixed parcel shelf M3 I am steering towards the MS again to replace my old trusty 2015 MS.

Of course you will not find a 2020, and if you do, count on it being over 80k. This is because production halted and Elon's Lucid 69k joke went down very well with the fans, my neighbor unlike me did not hesitate and he is now driving a beautiful 2021 with all the fancy new air suspension and all.

Still, IMHO waiting for the September refresh launch makes sense, as these will have:

1. Rapid charging like the MY/3.
2. Better battery tech and range with super low drag co.
3. Better in cab ergonomics.
4. Yoke with proportional 180deg only steering, mehopes:)

IMHO I will wait until cca. 2022-23 for the feeding frenzy at the beginning of the season to subside, and some attractively priced examples to show up on the used market. Then of course I will have to test drive Lucid and Xpeng, but only if something magic happens to the crummy US Level 3 Combo CCS networks.
I also secretely wish the Taycan follows the Panamera in used pricing discounts.

Right now, assuming as a non-EV owner you are itching to get into one, an old trusty 2020 M3 LR with $2k uncorked mod and no octovalve heat pump to screw up your AC is a safe way to go to keep the upgrade bug at bay until the big boat arrives, especially if you plan on long distance travel, both because of the SC network and super fast charging tech in these cars. MY is too sought after and IMHO other than giving you more space is just a bloated up M3 without any trunk safety, at least for the M3 you can buy a $45 rear backrest lock rear quarter window smasher deter sticker on Etsy. The M3 is also a lot more fun to drive than the MY.
I was thinking to get a car within next 1-2 months) Makes no sense waiting for the new model in September, since it would be out of my price range))) I just wanted to get something descent right now.

I'm new into EVs, could you please explain "uncorked mod" and other stuff you mentioned about M3?

Hi guys,
please help me decide. I was thinking to buy a used P100D model for around $60-65k. I'm looking at listings and prices for last couple months and these money could get me 2016-2018 model with around 30-40k miles. Is there anything specific to look for when checking out the car? I read somewhere newer 2020 long range model would be better choice, is that right? I just dont see 2020 models for around that price yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase though.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks.
I got an 18 100D and it was around $60K. I would say it is plenty fast. It is the uncorked deal. I would say go for late 18 or 19 100D. You may be challenged to find that price now since dealers know that Ss are hard to find now and are jacking up the price now to take advantage of the timing and delays of the refreshed S. Since you are not in a hurry, you can shop and haggle.

I was thinking to get a car within next 1-2 months) Makes no sense waiting for the new model in September, since it would be out of my price range))) I just wanted to get something descent right now.

I'm new into EVs, could you please explain "uncorked mod" and other stuff you mentioned about M3?
Uncorked was a featured offered to some 17/18/19 model S 100Ds that gave a 0-60 boost from 4.2 down to maybe 3.9-4.0. Not sure as I read various numbers but it is fast. Not P fast but I guess depends on what you are wanting. If you want faster than most any car on the road, 100D is plenty. If you want to have vision blurring acceleration, go for the P. Good luck in your search! Mine is my first ev too, and you’ll be very happy either way! Just do your due diligence when inspecting the car at the test drive.

I read somewhere newer 2020 long range model would be better choice, is that right? I just dont see 2020 models for around that price yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase though.

There is a 2020 MS LR+ posted for sale on onlyusedtesla.com for $65k. However, it is in FL so quite a distance from where you are. It has also been on there since February so it may be sold and the ad just hasn't been updated or removed yet.
2020 Used Tesla Model S. Long Range Plus. Red Multi-Coat. White. Autopilot. Warranty. 17,104-miles. $65,000. Miami , Florida

If you can wait until the new MS comes out, that should bring a flood of late model MSs to the market and bring prices down a bit. Also, hopefully the chip shortage situation on new cars will be under control by then and start to bring inventories back to normal and pricing for new and used back down to normal.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
There is a 2020 MS LR+ posted for sale on onlyusedtesla.com for $65k. However, it is in FL so quite a distance from where you are. It has also been on there since February so it may be sold and the ad just hasn't been updated or removed yet.
2020 Used Tesla Model S. Long Range Plus. Red Multi-Coat. White. Autopilot. Warranty. 17,104-miles. $65,000. Miami , Florida

If you can wait until the new MS comes out, that should bring a flood of late model MSs to the market and bring prices down a bit. Also, hopefully the chip shortage situation on new cars will be under control by then and start to bring inventories back to normal and pricing for new and used back down to normal.
good point about waiting till new model comes out, I was thinking about that too. I've heard September, but with Elon you never know)))

I guess I just have to wait and look out for deals as of now..

Just to be clear, current MS Raven update came out in 2019, and I can look for 2019 models too?

Performance models older than 2018 apparently have a seal within the rear motor that commonly fail. Costs around $4k to rebuild the drive unit if you catch it early. If not under warranty and you dont catch it early, much more to replace the drive unit entirely.

Hey guys,

Im leaning towards MS 100d now. I understand late 2018+ models have updated MCU2 and see that upgrade costs $1500 if you have older version?
How to check if the car has free supercharging? At what point did they stop offering it lifetime? And btw what does it typically cost to charge on SC station?

Anything else I should be aware of (issues) looking at 2017-18 models? Options to look for?

I just found this deal, what do you think?

Hey guys,

Im leaning towards MS 100d now. I understand late 2018+ models have updated MCU2 and see that upgrade costs $1500 if you have older version?
How to check if the car has free supercharging? At what point did they stop offering it lifetime? And btw what does it typically cost to charge on SC station?

Anything else I should be aware of (issues) looking at 2017-18 models? Options to look for?

Free lifetime charging goes with the car BUT only - and see other threads - when it’s not gone through a Tesla resale. If Tesla “own” a car - perhaps as they have taken it as part payment on a new one - they can and do sell it without.

Hey guys,

Briefly:

- Transferable supercharging only on cars ordered before 1/15/17 (I think) and delivered before mid-April 17 (I think)
- ‘free supercharging’ offered after that was for first owner only and will not transfer
- No 100Ds had transferable free supercharging
- There’s a ton of threads on this with all the info and detail you crave
- Supercharging isn’t that expensive anyway

The car you linked to is a 75D which, looking at the in-service date on the carfax, will have had free supercharging for the first owner only but might still have a couple of weeks warranty remaining. Also has some pretty horrendous yellowing of the MCU. Fixed glass roof, rather than sunroof, if that’s a factor for you.