Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need HELP!!! Vibration at Freeway Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new S85 one month ago today & immediately took it to California Wheels in Campbell, CA (a very reputable, high-end wheel shop in the Bay Area) to have my brake calipers painted red.

Driving the car, at freeway speeds, for the first time since picking up the car I noticed that the car started to vibrate heavily anytime the car exceeded 75 mph. Not only could I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but I could also feel it in my seat & noticed that the passenger seat was shaking pretty severely as well. The following Monday I took my car into Tesla thinking that one of my tires was either out of balance or one of my wheels was out of round. After replacing two tires & a wheel (mind you this is a brand new car, straight from the factory) the service center assured me that the vibrations were gone per their road tests. Immediately upon entering the freeway I felt the same vibration again at 75+ & drove my car straight to my former client's wheel shop for a 2nd opinion as to what in the world was going on with my car. He road tested it & felt as though it was a balance issue so his shop checked the balance & was very confident that, if it was indeed a balance issue, the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, after road testing it on the freeway, at speed, the same problem occured so I contacted Tesla & they sent someone out to road test the car with me. Immediately upon hitting 75+ mph he noticed the vibration in the car & took it back to service for more testing.

After over a week in service I receive a call from the Service Manager stating that they had exhausted all other options & that the only cause that they could come up with was that the paint on the calipers (some of the paint which they claimed were on the rotors themselves) was causing this issue. This, in my opinion, was simply not possible, due to the fact that it was only causing the car to vibrate at a certain speed & while the car was moving, not braking, but Tesla, in an attempt to find the cause of this issue was willing to replace the car's caliper pins, brake pads & rotors.

After replacing the various braking parts, multiple Tesla service people road-tested the car & were of the opinion that the car was fixed, but after picking up the car today the problem is still very much there, in fact, there is NO change from the day I first drove the car at freeway speeds.

My question is this: have any of you had this same issue? and if so, how did Tesla fix this issue?

Tesla has been great throughout this entire process & I know what steps to take, up the ladder, so to speak, but all I want is for my car to be fixed & fun to drive at freeway speeds and if there's someone who has experienced this same issue I'd love your help so that I can pass it along to Tesla.

Sorry to hear about your problem, which I do not recall having been posted about in the year and a half I have been reading TMC.
The difficulty in diagnosing the problem is that you say before you had your calipers painted you had never driven over 75. Then you had the calipers painted and you noticed the vibration when going over 75 for the first time since taking delivery of the car.
I am skeptical that the caliper painting has anything to do with the vibration problem.
When Tesla had the car did they try using a completely different set of wheels and tires? That is what I would try.

If you have 21’s (they bend just looking at them, lol) I would have a shop put a dial gauge on them and check the run-out to insure that they are all "true". Might the caliper painting shop hit a minor pothole (that's all it takes) when they went for their joyride?