Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with buying decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have committed myself to purchasing an M3, but can only financially justify one of either the LR without FSDC or the SR+ with SFDC. I do not need the extra range that LR offers for my daily lifestyle, so I am leaning towards the SR+ with SFDC. I have to chose between one or the other, and am struggling with the decision. I would appreciate any comments on which you think is the better option.

Model 3 forum might offer more help.

That said, if I was picking one or the other, I'd absolutely pick the bigger battery, AWD, and improved performance, without a second thought. $8,000 for the FSD package as it exists now and as it will exist for the foreseeable future is absurd.

You can always add FSD later if you really want it. You'll never be able to add a bigger battery and second drive unit (Rich Rebuilds conversions aside).

I agree with the above. We are considering another Tesla and I have been leaving the FSD option off and opting for bigger battery. When we bought our model S I only ordered the 75 because I thought it was enough range. Two years and ten percent degradation later I am really wishing we went with the 100.

Reactions: Chaserr and ucmndd
I have FSD. Put your money into the hardware, you’ll never regret the longer range.

FSD is vapor, the promise of autonomous self driving just out of sight, forever 6 months away. It’s been 3 1/2 years for me. In fact with the increased frequency of nags it’s even less self driving now than it was before. It does OK on Interstates. Well, almost. It’s like when you teach a teen to drive, it steers, but you’d better watch it. And sometimes it hits the brakes really hard for no apparent reason. I think it does it for fun, to see if you are on your toes. There is “summon”. That is interesting. It backs out of a parking spot while you’re a hundred feet away. It’s supposed to drive to you. Sometimes it turns the other way. It’s just having fun. It likes to see me run.

I'll be honest. Poorly titled threads are my pet peeve. But hey, I get it. Not everyone thinks things through, especially on the internet. My take is to give people the benefit of the doubt as I've had my blunders too but after reading your posts...well...I'm just struck dumb at how illogical it is.

Let's go through it step by step.

Title: "Need help with buying decision"

I'd respectfully submit you need more help with correctly titling a thread and choosing the correct forum - more on the latter in a bit. Asking WHAT your question is in the title will get MORE interaction than a vague, generic, and lazy "need help" or "quick question". Easier to find in searching too.

Let's consider your posting and see what we can improve:

I have committed myself to purchasing an M3...
May I kindly point out: Model 3

It is an entire forum dedicated to Model 3 - which is what you purport to be considering in your poorly titled posting. You posted this thread in the Model S forum. Why the S over the 3 forum...we may never know, but hey just so you know.

...but can only financially justify one of either the LR without FSDC or the SR+ with SFDC.
Hey! Look at that! There's your thread title!

"Can choose between M3 LR with No FSDC OR M3 SR+ with FSD - Advice & Insight Sought"

...see how much clearer that is then "Need help with buying decision". Now even a correct thread cannot overcome posting in the wrong forum, but we'll start with the small issues and work our way up to the more advanced topics.

I do not need the extra range that LR offers for my daily lifestyle, so I am leaning towards the SR+ with SFDC. I have to choose between one or the other, and am struggling with the decision.
It sounds like you've almost already answered your question. I can suggest is this: if your circumstances change for the better at a later date, you can always "upgrade" to FSD at will but will probably not be able to upgrade the battery. Not sure if that's worth it for you - my guess is probably not - but food for thought.
I would appreciate any comments on which you think is the better option.
Learn to descriptively title threads and post on the releveant forum and you'll get far more responses.