Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with buying decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have committed myself to purchasing an M3, but can only financially justify one of either the LR without FSDC or the SR+ with SFDC. I do not need the extra range that LR offers for my daily lifestyle, so I am leaning towards the SR+ with SFDC. I have to chose between one or the other, and am struggling with the decision. I would appreciate any comments from experienced owners on which you think is the better option.

Why not just get a SR+ without the FSD and save yourself some extra money? I decided against the FSD and put the money towards the multi-red, with the white seats and 19inch wheels. I like the fact that you can always buy the FSD later but I’m not sure it is worth an extra 8k. I enjoy driving and I enjoy connecting with my car. The FSD is a nice addition but I doubt I’ll use it to the point where it can justify that 8k price point. 3-4? Mayyyyybe.

Would’ve been nice though if they gave you a “Partial FSD” option where you got the self-parking and summon.

Reactions: Mattopotamus
Just like a computer, where I’d recommend get the fastest system (graphics, CPU, etc.) you can afford, go for the longest range (biggest battery) you can afford. You can always choose to add other software options, such as FSD, at a later time.

When I joined here, my first post was a similar question to yours. I waffled back and forth, leaning towards LR than SR+ for the reasons others have already given you.

I finally did some hard number crunching and wound up ordering both. It taxes my cash reserves, but does not deplete them entirely. I haven't been issued a VIN yet, so I can still remove the FSD, but after another bout of number crunching, and a discussion here, I'm still retaining it.

When I joined here, my first post was a similar question to yours. I waffled back and forth, leaning towards LR than SR+ for the reasons others have already given you.

I finally did some hard number crunching and wound up ordering both. It taxes my cash reserves, but does not deplete them entirely. I haven't been issued a VIN yet, so I can still remove the FSD, but after another bout of number crunching, and a discussion here, I'm still retaining it.

aren’t you leasing the car. Why would you spend $8k on a half-baked option on a car you can’t even keep

I'd go with FSD over long range. The only time you need the range is when going on a trip. How often will you do that? Also all the major highways have plenty of Superchargers so no need for extra range. The full self driving is great on a highway trip - so much more relaxing and the cost is likely going to continue to increase. Think about how you drive and how often will you need the extra range vs how often iit would be nice to have the FSD.

Agree with the majority of posters here. 100% absolutely better to get LR than FSD. FSD is nearly worthless for most folks. I enjoy seeing it improve bit by bit, so it's sort of like an expensive game, an indulgence for me, and I don't really regret buying it, but most people just aren't going to get much value. If money is at all tight it's a no brainer to skip FSD.

The LR will help make the car more like a normal car. Remember that you won't normally charge up to 100%, and you won't normally feel good about running it down below 20%, so you're really working with about 60-70% of the car's total range max. It'll lose a ton of range when it's really cold, and it'll lose a lot of range if you drive really fast. It's easy to forget to take those things into account. For me even the LR is barely enough range for me to feel happy with the car.

Keep in mind that (unless things have changed in the last few months), LR AWD also comes with an improved sound system and a few other nice things. And the acceleration is GREAT.

I have committed myself to purchasing an M3, but can only financially justify one of either the LR without FSDC or the SR+ with SFDC. I do not need the extra range that LR offers for my daily lifestyle, so I am leaning towards the SR+ with SFDC. I have to chose between one or the other, and am struggling with the decision. I would appreciate any comments from experienced owners on which you think is the better option.

Definitely go with the longer range AWD (assuming you mean this model) vs. the SR+. It's got 322 miles range, is faster, can be acceleration boosted, has the premium interior (vs. partial premium which I am guessing is in the SR+) and has better resale value. You can defer FSD until later or give yourself time to think about it, time for the tech to mature (it's supposed to get a lot better very soon), or simply to defray the cost of FSD. Note, FSD will keep rising in price as it gets better. Something to consider.

Assuming you mean LR AWD (the middle model), I'd choose this all day. Save FSD for a later upgrade.

Another strong vote for LR for all the reasons stated above.

Also consider the possibility that you may enjoy driving this car so much you decide to travel longer distances in it.

My wife has a Honda Odyssey we usually use for road trips. Her tags were expired and we decided last minute to take a trip to see my parents before the kids started school. It’s 850 miles each way, and we took my P3D. Even with basic AP it was an absolute joy compared to the minivan. My 3 kids were in the back, there was plenty of cargo space in the back, and I was not exhausted when we arrived. I never want to take her car on a long trip again.

The LR will help make the car more like a normal car. Remember that you won't normally charge up to 100%, and you won't normally feel good about running it down below 20%, so you're really working with about 60-70% of the car's total range max. It'll lose a ton of range when it's really cold, and it'll lose a lot of range if you drive really fast. It's easy to forget to take those things into account. For me even the LR is barely enough range for me to feel happy with the car.

Just want to echo this, and also recommend keeping in mind that as the battery ages there may be some range loss. The current warranty is 70% at 8 years. So I'd recommend the LR as well, so there's a buffer should cold weather or battery degradation take away some range.