TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need help with charging adapter

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Justicepool, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

Hello,

I just picked up my Tesla Model S last night and do not have a plug installed in my garage yet (that's next week). I thought I could make an adapter to use so that I could plug into my dryer outlet. It is an older 3 prong 30 amp plug. The adapter I made is not working. I get a red light when I plug it in. I'll attempt to attach pictures to this thread. Any help is much appreciated.

John

Attached Files:

2. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

What I'm plugging the tesla cord into

Attached Files:

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Try to jumper the neutral and ground

4. rays427

rays427 Member

I think you need to set the car to charge at a maximum of 24 amps.

5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Ok, granted I am a color blind guy.... but on the third photo, where you are showing the 14-50, is what appears to be a green screw the screw for the copper ground?
    Which provides ground to the kind of semi-circular prong?

What do you think??

6. 50amp

50amp New Member

Aren't you missing a hot wire? That's not 220 volts. My advise would be wait for the electrician.

gary

7. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Last photo of 14-50 female on the first post. Bare copper wire should go to green screw (ground). Be sure to turn down the charge rate to 24 amps. Should be good to go.

I built one just like this. works great.

8. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Also, you should check the outlet you are plugging into... follow it back to the panel where its breaker is and make sure it is a 240V breaker and its total rating.

I have see some work where somebody has peeled off a 120V leg from a 240 circuit.

9. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

Ok, I fixed the ground and it is now working. I read somewhere on the forums that if you have a Federal Pacific Panel box that you should NOT do what I am trying to do.......and of course this house has a Federal Pacific Panel. Grrrrrr. Ok, so I turned the amp down to 20 amps and will keep an eye on it. I won't leave it on overnight. Just need to get me through the weekend and back to my other house on Monday (where I will have a Tesla wall unit installed on Monday).

10. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

IMO too many stories posted of folks who think electricity is simple, so they should do it themselves. Sometimes leads to disaster. Not trying to judge you as I don't know you. Wouldn't it be simpler and safer to either buy a 10-30 UMC adaptor or just use a 5-15 (i.e. the standard plug) for the next week? I know Tesla doesn't sell the 10-30s online anymore, but I hear you can still buy them.

11. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

I had that extension cord made by an electrician. When it wouldn't work I sent a picture to my brother (who is an electrician) and he mentioned the ground. I sent the same picture to my Electrician and he noticed the same thing (turns out his helpers made the extension cord). I don't like messing with electricity at all, that's why I asked for an electrician to make the cord for me until he can get here next week to replaced the Pacific Federal panel box and run a new outlet to the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

The warning against using this with a Federal Pacific Panel box has me a little nervous. I turned the charging amps down to 20 amps. I've checked the cable running from the dryer plug to the garage and it is not warm at all. If the cord does not get hot, then should it be ok for this weekend?

12. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Yes in fact I just purchased a 10-30 adapter and a 14-30 adapter at my local SC which had both in stock.
    Am very glad you have it working... keep an eye on things while it is running.

13. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

I still have a couple of Tesla 10-30 adapters available for sale if you can't find one at your local service center.