Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with CPO questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for the amazing wealth of knowledge in this forum.
I'm about to pull a trigger on 2016 S 90D. And going through some last minute questions was hoping someone could help with please:

1) I'm in NJ which has no tax on EVs, if I pick up in NY, I'm assuming I still will Not have to pay tax?

2) Based on pictures I received so far I don’t see any damage. On pictures for some other cars I’ve seen close ups with even a tape measure to show how big the damage is, would the absence of these here indicate there there’s no “significant cosmetic issues here” ? Or wishful thinking on my part and could just be omitted?

Thank you in advance

Thank you all for the amazing wealth of knowledge in this forum.
I'm about to pull a trigger on 2016 S 90D. And going through some last minute questions was hoping someone could help with please:

1) I'm in NJ which has no tax on EVs, if I pick up in NY, I'm assuming I still will Not have to pay tax?

2) Based on pictures I received so far I don’t see any damage. On pictures for some other cars I’ve seen close ups with even a tape measure to show how big the damage is, would the absence of these here indicate there there’s no “significant cosmetic issues here” ? Or wishful thinking on my part and could just be omitted?

Thank you in advance

1. I want to know this too. CPO does not have a place at NJ, but NY. I wonder if they honor NJ policy.
2. Yes you are correct. The car does not have excessive damage. If they do and that was not disclosed to you earlier, you have right to request to fix the damage within due-bill period (3 days). obviously, wear and tear of seat and headliner, or really small scratchs on the surface are not included.

Yep, that's the one. Why, did you see something wrong with it by any chance? I tried to carefully go through every pic but only so much you can see there especially given the reflection I think from the floor around it. Now just hoping all is ok....

Been holding off on posting more till real progress and everything is finalized , here is the latest:
Just like everyone else most paperwork went quickly and all the hold up is getting delivery date scheduled. I finally got a call back yesterday saying the car is ready , that's about 19 days since deposit. But currently away on vacation so agreed to pick up on upcoming Sat, can't wait.

One good news for North NJ buyers, the car was originally in Newburgh,NY so delivery was going to be in Mt. Kisco but the DS himself offered to deliver it in Paramus,NJ store which is just few min from me and without any other delivery charges. So saves me a trip out there.

Will post how pickup goes on Sat

Thanks for your updates!

I placed a deposit on a MS70 based at the Fremont location on the 24th. Started speaking to a delivery advisor on the 26th. We agreed that Tesla would transport the vehicle near my home in LA. I'm now stuck waiting as the advisor said they can't find anyone to transport the vehicle.

Honestly, this has been the sketchiest car purchase I've ever made. Who knows when I'll get the vehicle.

Thanks for your updates!

I placed a deposit on a MS70 based at the Fremont location on the 24th. Started speaking to a delivery advisor on the 26th. We agreed that Tesla would transport the vehicle near my home in LA. I'm now stuck waiting as the advisor said they can't find anyone to transport the vehicle.

Honestly, this has been the sketchiest car purchase I've ever made. Who knows when I'll get the vehicle.
How did u ask him? I wanna see if I can ask to transfer a vehicle from Fremont to l.a

Wow, that’s great if they transfer. Mine is in San Diego and I asked for a transfer to Buena Park and was told $2000 flat rate

same here to AZ. I wonder if that is negotiable per comments above.

Also similar question re: taxes paid to CA vs AZ rate? I've asked these questions to my DA but waiting to hear back from their contracts over the last week. Meanwhile another CPO MS I'm looking is steadily dropping in price

same here to AZ. I wonder if that is negotiable per comments above.

Also similar question re: taxes paid to CA vs AZ rate? I've asked these questions to my DA but waiting to hear back from their contracts over the last week. Meanwhile another CPO MS I'm looking is steadily dropping in price

You should pay your taxes based on the zip code of where you are registering the vehicle.

I've been told a hard NO multiple times regarding the transfer. It's a $2,000 flat fee regardless of distance.

That is true. California is special in that you have to pay their sales tax if you take delivery of a vehicle in CA. When you register the vehicle in your home state, the DMV won't make you pay sales tax again but you might have to pay the difference (if your state tax is higher). There's also some states that will refund you the difference (your state tax is lower). If you have Tesla ship the vehicle to your local delivery center and take delivery in your state, then obviously the CA sales tax won't be a factor.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
My google box says San Diego is 7.75% but Fremont is higher 9%.

Ours is 8.1 % so I will have to check with AZ DMV

I'd rather get it in SD since it's only six hrs w/ 2 SC stops vs several more from Fremont. Although it might be nice to tour the factory if they let owners do that :)

Been holding off on posting more till real progress and everything is finalized , here is the latest:
Just like everyone else most paperwork went quickly and all the hold up is getting delivery date scheduled. I finally got a call back yesterday saying the car is ready , that's about 19 days since deposit. But currently away on vacation so agreed to pick up on upcoming Sat, can't wait.

One good news for North NJ buyers, the car was originally in Newburgh,NY so delivery was going to be in Mt. Kisco but the DS himself offered to deliver it in Paramus,NJ store which is just few min from me and without any other delivery charges. So saves me a trip out there.

Will post how pickup goes on Sat

I wouldn't use your example of delivering the car from Mount Kisco to Paramus as a possibility for others to get the same treatment. He was just doing YOU a favor. It's not that much of a stretch for him since Mount Kisco is about 30 miles from the Paramus dealer.

When I was looking at cars, there was one in Mount Kisco. They offered to drive it to Paramus for me as well. It's a small gesture that goes a long way.

Where do you live? I live in Paramus, about 2 miles from the service center.

Thanks for your updates!

Relax. They have to find a shipper going your way that is shipping cars, it's not as easy as ordering on Amazon. I waited 3 weeks for my freight company to find a trunk to pickup my car in SJ and deliver it to ATL. These trucks aren't just sitting around...be patient.

I wouldn't use your example of delivering the car from Mount Kisco to Paramus as a possibility for others to get the same treatment. He was just doing YOU a favor. It's not that much of a stretch for him since Mount Kisco is about 30 miles from the Paramus dealer.

When I was looking at cars, there was one in Mount Kisco. They offered to drive it to Paramus for me as well. It's a small gesture that goes a long way.

Where do you live? I live in Paramus, about 2 miles from the service center.

VideoFrank - Agreed I was also thinking that perhaps the relatively same distances between the NY delivery center vs the Paramus dealership near me made it a no brainer for them to transfer the car near me. But it was still a pleasant surprise and hopefully helps others in this area to know its possible.
I'm actually in Paramus also 2.3 miles from service center :) I guess will be seeing you around. What color/model do you have? I just picked up 2016 Grey S 90D, with new face lift

For my update on delivery, I picked up the car this Saturday and overall had a very good experience:
  • Yes there was not too much communication, but after I sent emails with questions I usually heard back within 48 hours and all by phone. In total it took 20 days for it to be ready after deposit - that included the Dec holidays.
  • With help of this site I was able to get a great finance rate from a Credit Union in NJ.
  • The night before the pickup I was asked to send through proof of Insurance for the actual Tesla vehicle I was picking up, prior to that I had uploaded Insurance for my previous car as I was instructed by them.
  • At the pickup, as many others mentioned the DM right away wanted to sign the paperwork and for me to handover the remainder of the money but I asked to see the car first. Which she agreed to and brought it out in few minutes
  • After reading some horror stories I was preparing myself for the worst but was pleasantly surprised that the car was in almost perfect condition. There was a few very minor surface scratches but only seen if you truly look for them and something I would expect of a car used for 2+ years. I did ask if they could touch up some of them but DM said they already fully buffed the car and fixed up anything wrong with it. (did not go into further details)
  • The tires look to be relatively new so had to be replaced either just prior to delivery or recently given the car is 22K miles.
  • So far I"m on day 2 of using it and have not seen any issues - thus continuing to explore all the functionality and loving the Drive!
  • They said the title would be ready within two weeks and they would send directly to my credit union.
Happy to answer any other questions if others need help...

• Informative
Reactions: Seven7