Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with homecharging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I'm looking into buying my first Tesla but I'm really comfused about the homecharging options

I found that i can
  • use the 230V outlets that are already installed at my house
    • how fast is this going?
    • should this be a special one that's alone on a circuit?
  • install a homebox
    • I have 3 phase 230V and 32A. This means that I can't use the full 11kW of the Tesla. Is it an option to set the limit to a lower ampère in the Tesla so that we can use other electric devices as well at home? Or does the change of the max ampère at the car doesn't impact the total that's took from the net?
I hope my questions are clear enough
Thanks a lot for the answers

A Schuko outlet used for car charging should be dedicated, not on a string circuit. Even though it's technically 16A, most Schuko connected charging cables only use 10A. That is about 12km added per hour of charging.

The maximum charging speed for a Model 3 on an 11kW wallbox (16A 3-phase) is 64km per hour. You would have to determine if it is possible to install that on your electrical service without overloading the main service. There are wallbox solutions that will monitor the main service draw and force the car to reduce charging speed when the capacity is approached. I don't have specific recommendations for this kind of device because they are European and I'm in America and I haven't researched it. I've just heard that they are available.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
A bit late to answer but hopefully useable for others. Easiest is to install dedicated CEE wall outlet (16A) to be able to use that red 16A plug that comes with the car. In the situation of OP it’s even gives ability to use full 3PH 16A to push into the battery. Will add photo for clarity. You should be able to lower that current if needed on the MCU (your car should remember this next time) to be suitable for your home everyday situations. I believe this will give app. 56-58km/h of charge. That blue single phase connector that might be included in the UMC is only working with 32A, so be careful if connecting to 16A power.
06D3784A-8B87-42CC-BE4C-8D6671F797A8.jpeg

There is also Tesla HPWC that is convenient in a way that you can specify the current amount needed/able to use during installation, so that you will not overload your house main breakers. I myself have lowered it to 8A for that specific reason, this gives me app. 24km/h change. Using that UMC single phase 13A Schuko plug gives app 13km/h of charge.
Edit: This applies to Model S since 2016

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rlasry1
I charge from a German mains socket (Schuko) in my garage. The circuit breaker is rated 15 A. My Model 3 uses 13 A max. There are no significant other devices connected to that circuit, and I charge only at night to benefit from a lower night rate between 22:00 and 6:00 o'clock. I set the charging start to 22:00 o'clock in the car.

The energy delivered is 3.0 kW, of which about 2.5 kW reach the battery. This means I get about 20 km of range charged within one hour. Lowering the current is disadvantageous because it reduces the charging efficiency, but if you have to, you can do it. If you have other electricity consumers that trip your circuit breaker, you can either switch them off the next time or reduce the current until the circuit breaker holds.

I usually charge only to 60%, because I don't drive that much. I don't feel the need to install a wallbox, but I might do it in connection with a special, interruptible electricity tariff. Even if I drive long-distance, I can charge the car to 100%. I can charge it as much as possible the night before, then top it up during the last night before travelling. But this is inessential, as I don't need that much to reach the next Supercharger on a long-distance trip. Charging to less than 100% costs me only very few additional charging minutes, so I usually don't bother. I charge to 100% only for the very rare medium-distance day trips that I can just barely make without additional charging.

One word of warning: Check the connections, particularly the socket and the circuit breaker, for warmth during charging. Sniff at them. They will always get warm, but they should never get hot and they should not smell burnt. This is rarely a problem, but it is better to be safe than sorry.