TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need help with order timing...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by sbtz, Jun 25, 2018.

1. sbtz

sbtz Member

I'm a current Model S owner, and placed my deposit on 3/31 - I received my invitation to configure several months ago, and have been waiting for a few reasons: my current Model S lease ends on October-01, and I'd like to get AWD (and possibly Performance).

I've been trying to gauge the best time to place my order to minimize overlap between the two cars and originally figured that it would be best to place my order toward the end of July/beginning of August, assuming a 4-6w wait time. However, with the recent news about Tesla charging for connectivity for orders after July-01, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should just bite the bullet and order now?

I have no idea when AWD/Performance will become available to me in the configurator (it says mid '18 for me), and I also want to ensure that I'm able to take delivery early enough to get the federal and state tax incentives.

Ordering now benefits: tax incentives are a surer thing, less temptation to over-order AWD/Performance, free internet connectivity

Waiting (a month) benefits: more options, less overlap between the two cars (payments, insurance), less risk of "hey we happen to have a car available now, three months early"

2. ninpb

ninpb Member

The $100/year is pretty insignificant compared to regretting not getting AWD if that's really what you want. I think the big question is can you get an AWD in time for the full federal credit.

3. sbtz

sbtz Member

AWD is a nice-to-have, especially if it becomes available to me in the next couple of days or weeks. Being in southern California (probably not too far from where you are), it's far from a necessity.

4. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

-0.6s 0-60 could be helpful for racing

5. sbtz

sbtz Member

Considering how many times (zero) I've raced anyone in my P90D, I don't think that'll be too much of a consideration. :)

It would help to lessen the disappointment going from 2.6s 0-60 to 5s 0-60...

6. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

For people that ordered the AWD in May it was giving a 12-16 week delivery time with the RWD still listed as 4-6 weeks. If I were you I would wait for the version you want and forget about the data cost. $400 over 5 years of ownership is only about an extra half percent of the total ownership cost over that period. A change in the interest rate could end up costing you more.

7. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Honestly, I'd order now. Especially if you don't get the Performance. You're likely going to get it right at Oct. 1 (if not later for regular AWD if they decide to send out the more profitable Performance cars first).

If it so happens you're before Oct. 1, you can always delay delivery. I have a friend who delayed his 2 weeks when I called him in a panic about my own delivery (got 2 days notice and hadn't even figured out how to pay yet).