Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help With Portable Charger Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my SR+ back in March, and recieved the CVAP grant. As part of that, they are also giving me a charging grant. It's $2000 towards a home installation, or $1000 EVgo/ChargePoint credits + a free portable charger. Because it will be $4000-5000 to install a home charging setup, even just to install a 240 volt outlet (really old house, have to upgrade the service and stuff), I'm going with the portable charging credits + EVSE. The options they are giving me are:
1620254457704.png

Since I won't be using it at home (the Tesla Mobile Connector is fine for everyday use), I was wondering which option will be more practical for trips and stuff? Based on Plugshare, it seems like there are not a lot of NEMA 14-50 outlets for public charging. Most of them seem to be in RV parks. I'm not someone who normally takes a lot of long trips, although I would like to try in the future. Then again, I'm not sure how accurate Plugshare is. Does anyone know if NEMA 14-50 outlets are also commonly found at places like shopping centers, amusement parks, hotels or rest stops? And just thinking long term (when I eventually move), do most modern houses/apartments have NEMA 14-50 outlets? And what about NEMA 6-20, is that a more common configuration? If anyone has any advice, it'd be much appreciated.

I do not understand. If it is going to cost you 4-5k for home charging setup, then the 240v Level 2 on the right will require that install. Your only option is the slow charging on a 110v outlet, which will still really need to be dedicated and not shared.
Unless you have electric oven and dryer, you probably do not need to upgrade service. I had no choice but to upgrade my service, however if you just need a 50amp NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50, I was charged around $450 for a 20 foot run. An electrician can run a load test to see what you would need.

Upvote 0
I do not understand. If it is going to cost you 4-5k for home charging setup, then the 240v Level 2 on the right will require that install. Your only option is the slow charging on a 110v outlet, which will still really need to be dedicated and not shared.
Unless you have electric oven and dryer, you probably do not need to upgrade service. I had no choice but to upgrade my service, however if you just need a 50amp NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50, I was charged around $450 for a 20 foot run. An electrician can run a load test to see what you would need.
Well, charging slowly at 110v satisfies my daily needs, so I'm not really planning to use the EVSE at home. This home only gets 60 amps of service apparently, according to the electrician. I don't know very much about electricity (clearly), but it definitely trips a lot when using several appliances at once. In anycase, we don't own the home, so I'd rather not spend any money to upgrade. So now I'm being offered a choice between two portable chargers which I won't/can't really use at home. I just wanted to know which one I should take if I plan to use it on short or long trips.

Upvote 0
Well, charging slowly at 110v satisfies my daily needs, so I'm not really planning to use the EVSE at home. This home only gets 60 amps of service apparently, according to the electrician. I don't know very much about electricity (clearly), but it definitely trips a lot when using several appliances at once. In anycase, we don't own the home, so I'd rather not spend any money to upgrade. So now I'm being offered a choice between two portable chargers which I won't/can't really use at home. I just wanted to know which one I should take if I plan to use it on short or long trips.

As @garth_angst said, you really dont have a choice. The one on the right will not work at your home at all, per your information. It requires a 240 connection. You will not be using the one on the right at the home you are in now, at all.

These are only "portable" as they are not hard wired into the wall, so you can take it with you when you move. Its not necessarily something you will be using on the road. You already have a connector to use on the road (the one that came with the car).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Were it me faced with this decision, I'd opt for the 14-50 EVSE. Yes, I believe it's true that the default 50A service at RV parks is this type of plug. There's also a TT-30 outlet (30A) usually available too. As far as you finding a publicly accessible 14-50 outlet at the places you describe, I'd say probably not. Not many places are willing to offer up free electricity, especially at the 240VAC level.

The dual-voltage EVSE can be more practical seeing as everybody has a standard 15A 120V (5-15) outlet in their house or garage. But you'll be in the same boat as your existing Tesla mobile connector.

Upvote 0
Neither of these is likely to be of much help during trips. Unless you're referring to charging at family members' homes, where the "slow poke" 120v charger is likely to be useful -- they'll usually have an accessible 5-15 120v outlet but probably won't have an accessible 14-50 240v outlet. But if you'd have a 14-50 outlet available at most of these locations then the answer would obviously be to choose door # 2. Trips are when you'd be using Superchargers or other public charging stations.

Similar EVSEs can be purchased new for $200 or less. So it won't be a serious problem if your choice turns out to be the wrong one.

• Love
Reactions: Dmagyar and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
So now I'm being offered a choice between two portable chargers which I won't/can't really use at home. I just wanted to know which one I should take if I plan to use it on short or long trips.
Well, neither one. The Tesla charging cable that comes with their cars is still by far the best portable charging cable on the market because of its dual voltage capability with a wide selection of swappable charging plugs. I haven't seen anything that beats that. You can have plugs for all kinds of outlets, like 5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30, 6-20, 14-50, 6-50, etc. etc. and be able to plug into almost anything you would find. I still just have my original portable charging cable from over 7 years ago, and it's my thing for at home and on the road.

Upvote 0
Change your thinking a little bit. Use the Tesla mobile connector as your mobile charging solution and choose which ever of the above as your at-home charging solution.
The Tesla connector let you buy $35 adapters to all of the standard outlets that you might run across either 120 or 240. Those two pitiful chargers above are seriously limited so pick whichever one will work with the outlet you have and decide you’re just never going to move it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0