Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with Radio install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

da2ny

2010 Roadster Sport Twilight Blue #913
Jul 14, 2018
Beverly Hills, CA
I have changed dozens of head units in my cars without any problems. I decided to upgrade the JVC KD NX5000 in my 2010 Roadster with the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX. It has a fold out LCD screen and CarPlay and a Back Up camera. I ran the back up camera wires through the passenger side channel alongside the frame as shown in the Tesla manual. The problem I find is that all of the speaker wires in the loom are the same color code -- blk/white. How do I determine which wires go to which speakers? Also, I don't find an amplifier, but the car does have a sub. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is EXACTLY the upgrade I'm thinking of for my JVC radio!

And as it happens, I was just mucking around with the Backup Camera wiring on the JVC and have the original harnesses & install manual!

This is the main harness. If you look at the connector with the clip tab on top, the speaker wires are the 8 wires on the left side.

IMG_20200202_092923.jpg

On the top / clip side, FROM THE OUTSIDE, the order is Green, Green/Black, Purple/Black, Purple. These are the Rear Speakers. Green is Left, Purple is Right (see pics of the install manual)

IMG_20200202_093014.jpg

On the bottom side, FROM THE OUTSIDE, the order is White, White/Black, Grey/Black, Grey. These are the Front Speakers. White is Left, Grey is Right. (see pics of the install manual)

IMG_20200202_092945.jpg

In all cases the black striped wire is (-) and the solid without black of the same color is (+)

IMG_20200202_092902.jpg
IMG_20200202_092905.jpg

I admire you do it yourselfers

My car is with Carl the Tesla whisperer

I had one of the very few original cars that got the stock radio with no subwoofer or audio upgrades

It was literally the worst sounding audio system of a car in the last 30 years

I ended up going with an innovative single-din pioneer that has a pop-up holder for your cell phone and a special app so your cell phone becomes Android Auto or Apple CarPlay

I didn't want to modify the wiper arm and I wanted to keep it stock for investment purposes

I did end up having to buy a 500 watt amplifier and a 5 channel sub amp.

Ended up going with all new speakers and cannibalized a sub from a donor

I also found an innovative backup camera that transmits wirelessly right to your phone so my phone screen will also be my backup camera.

Haven't gotten my car back yet but I'll write up a full review when I do

I hope other manufacturers make single din innovations like this since when the phone is in the holder it looks pretty much like OEM.

Within a year they'll have wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay units but I didn't want to go full doubled din. I spent 10 hours researching head units and everything had its own compromises.

Interested to see how this turns out as the one you selected was my second choice.

This is EXACTLY the upgrade I'm thinking of for my JVC radio!

And as it happens, I was just mucking around with the Backup Camera wiring on the JVC and have the original harnesses & install manual!

This is the main harness. If you look at the connector with the clip tab on top, the speaker wires are the 8 wires on the left side.

On the top / clip side, FROM THE OUTSIDE, the order is Green, Green/Black, Purple/Black, Purple. These are the Rear Speakers. Green is Left, Purple is Right (see pics of the install manual)

On the bottom side, FROM THE OUTSIDE, the order is White, White/Black, Grey/Black, Grey. These are the Front Speakers. White is Left, Grey is Right. (see pics of the install manual)

In all cases the black striped wire is (-) and the solid without black of the same color is (+)

Just got my Pioneer yesterday, looking forward to getting it installed. Should drive up to S.F. and have you install it :). Still on the fence about a backup camera. Your thread is going to help my installer, thanks again for posting the write up and pic's

My car is with Carl the Tesla whisperer

I had one of the very few original cars that got the stock radio with no subwoofer or audio upgrades

It was literally the worst sounding audio system of a car in the last 30 years

I ended up going with an innovative single-din pioneer that has a pop-up holder for your cell phone and a special app so your cell phone becomes Android Auto or Apple CarPlay

I didn't want to modify the wiper arm and I wanted to keep it stock for investment purposes

I did end up having to buy a 500 watt amplifier and a 5 channel sub amp.

Ended up going with all new speakers and cannibalized a sub from a donor

I also found an innovative backup camera that transmits wirelessly right to your phone so my phone screen will also be my backup camera.

Haven't gotten my car back yet but I'll write up a full review when I do

I hope other manufacturers make single din innovations like this since when the phone is in the holder it looks pretty much like OEM.

Within a year they'll have wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay units but I didn't want to go full doubled din. I spent 10 hours researching head units and everything had its own compromises.

Interested to see how this turns out as the one you selected was my second choice.
Can I ask what brand (manufacturer) and model did you finally get for the wireless camera.

I'm having trouble getting the link cuz I'm out of the country and Amazon keeps messing with it

Search Amazon for the following. Should be about $110. Getting continuous power is a pretty big challenge unfortunately I thought you could just tap into the tail light but that doesn't seem to be the case. I went ahead and had Carl do it for me as he's done many.

Calmoor License Plate Wireless Backup Camera with Night Vision

Just got my Pioneer yesterday, looking forward to getting it installed. Should drive up to S.F. and have you install it :). Still on the fence about a backup camera. Your thread is going to help my installer, thanks again for posting the write up and pic's

I wouldn't trust me with a radio install!

Splicing in the stuff for the camera is one thing. Rewiring the whole harness is another. :confused:

Thank you all for your input. For whatever reason, Tesla decided to have all the speaker leads on my car in grey/black and white/black. I'll need some sort of audio signal generator to suss them out. Or just have Javier complete the install. It's bizarre that NONE of the wires follow any standard color code protocols. The always on is brown, not yellow. The power with the key on is green, not red. It would take a Hercule Poirot (or a Nikolai Tesla) to figure this one out.
As for the Camera, I chose to go with the Pioneer hard wired camera so I can view it on my nice 7" LCD screen and can adjust the guide lines. I'll post again when it's up and running.

Thank you all for your input. For whatever reason, Tesla decided to have all the speaker leads on my car in grey/black and white/black. I'll need some sort of audio signal generator to suss them out. Or just have Javier complete the install. It's bizarre that NONE of the wires follow any standard color code protocols. The always on is brown, not yellow. The power with the key on is green, not red. It would take a Hercule Poirot (or a Nikolai Tesla) to figure this one out.
As for the Camera, I chose to go with the Pioneer hard wired camera so I can view it on my nice 7" LCD screen and can adjust the guide lines. I'll post again when it's up and running.

The colored wires in my post are of the JVC harness, not what's installed in my car. The positions of the wires should translate to the harness in the car, so that should give you the information on which leads go to which speakers?

Though, presumably they go first to the amp so split out the Subwoofer signal. Not sure why they didn't use the Line Out harness? :confused:

My car is with Carl the Tesla

I too have mine with Carl at this very moment. He and his son are doing a double-DIN dash conversion and installing an Alpine ILX-207 head unit for me. No time to do it myself even if I thought I wouldn’t screw it up.

anyone figure out a good mount for an iPhone C so no cut out modifications are necessary? Saw someone 3D printed a lightning connector mount in 2015 for an iPhone 5. But the 10 is too wide for a similar design.

Any thoughts are appreciated!