Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need help with system design review (9.6kW Solar + Powerwall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Just placed my order this morning for 9.6kw system with single Powerwall and here I got the layout design ready for review.
Before accept it I would like to get your feedback on the placement. (note: big tree in the front yard is no longer there)
Thanks!
Solar.jpg

Unfortunately you do not have enough space on South plane of the roof for all panels. We do not know your regional setback requirements and exact roof measurements but in a nutshell your goal is to place as many panels on south side as possible. Tesla is not going to volunteer to play with different design options but try to ask for it. Potentially it will also reduce their installation costs since 2 blocks of panels are cheaper to install than 3.

Looks like they used about all they could on the south-facing roof. The north-facing roof will produce considerably less than the South during much of the year. We have tiles on our North facing roof and they don't produce much 4+ months of the year.

The first house on the left looks very similar to mine and panels are installed vertically (mine is first from the right).
Is there anything wrong installing panels vertically?

Attachments

• 1645820565103.png
    1645820565103.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
The first house on the left looks very similar to mine and panels are installed vertically (mine is first from the right).
Is there anything wrong installing panels vertically?
Usually this orientation is called portrait and nothing is wrong with it. I think it is more common than the alternative, landscape, Tesla selected for the initial design. Unlike most other solar installation companies Tesla does not give options for panel sizes, like using 60 cell or 72 cell. This means that panels size is a constant.

Personally I would not recommend placing any panels on North plane. It is a bit of waste which you can quantify with PVWatts or estimate calculator in SolarEdhe designer website.

guys I have reach out to my local installer and got the following offer. Would appreciate your feedback on the layout.
On the South side they can fit (8+3+1) 12 total panels max. My question is more on North side. Should i stick with 1x10 layout or request to change it to 2x5 block and move around? Panels are 450W each. Thanks,
Screenshot 2022-03-12 150725.jpg

guys I have reach out to my local installer and got the following offer. Would appreciate your feedback on the layout.
On the South side they can fit (8+3+1) 12 total panels max. My question is more on North side. Should i stick with 1x10 layout or request to change it to 2x5 block and move around? Panels are 450W each. Thanks,View attachment 779977
Two suggestions in a question. There’s a portion of your roof that apparently allows sun to come through it looks like there’s just some rafters - are they purely decorative? Can those be filled in with the roofing sheathing and shingles and then you can double up the number of panels on that portion of the south part of the roof? Second comment is that it might be possible to move that vent pipe that you were talking about breaking up the three versus one panel section on the south side. If the pipe can be shifted slightly to the north, you might be able to just get a solid run of 4 to 5 panels across.

Question: what panels are you using that produce 450 W?

Two suggestions in a question. There’s a portion of your roof that apparently allows sun to come through it looks like there’s just some rafters - are they purely decorative? Can those be filled in with the roofing sheathing and shingles and then you can double up the number of panels on that portion of the south part of the roof? Second comment is that it might be possible to move that vent pipe that you were talking about breaking up the three versus one panel section on the south side. If the pipe can be shifted slightly to the north, you might be able to just get a solid run of 4 to 5 panels across.

Question: what panels are you using that produce 450 W?
You are correct. That part is pure decorative. I will pass the idea to installer see what’s their thoughts.
Vent pipe can be moved on the side wall of the garage. it looks to me panels are large and 5th panel may not fit there.

The installer manufactures their own panels. Here is the link for the panel: LS430-450BL

Reactions: eigenv1
On the South side they can fit (8+3+1) 12 total panels max. My question is more on North side. Should i stick with 1x10 layout or request to change it to 2x5 block and move around? Panels are 450W each. Thanks,View attachment 779977
It is interesting to me that the fire codes down in your area require huge walkways. It really is unfortunate, as a whole lot more panels would fit without such restrictions.

I imagine your LA fire officials carry a lot of weight if able to reserve so much of the roof from PV installation.

It is interesting to me that the fire codes down in your area require huge walkways. It really is unfortunate, as a whole lot more panels would fit without such restrictions.

I imagine your LA fire officials carry a lot of weight if able to reserve so much of the roof from PV installation.
Indeed I`m in the Very High Fire Hazard Severity Zone (VHFHSZ) zone and perhaps that is the reason for huge walkways.